PDA

View Full Version : general aviation

youngbloke
14th Jun 2001, 10:12
I'm an aussie, and have heard rumours that there is plenty of work going in US general aviation. This person basically told me that if I went to the US I would have people wanting me to work for them everywhere I went. Can anyone clarify how the scene is in the states in comparison to Australia?

From another source I was told that charter operators over there will not employ anyone except US citizens as a general rule. Is this true?

I am particularly interested in California or Florida, but any info will be appreciated.

Regards, YB.

cavu
15th Jun 2001, 00:46
Sorry matey, can't tell you how different it is from Australia, but can tell you that there are certainly opportunities to be had. The trouble is that they are usually fortuitous in nature.

Would not recommend you just arrive and hope for the best. Get yourself a plan for at least six months to a year. The US is a very inhospitable place to be when life does not go as planned.

I am lucky enough to be able to live and work over here. I love the flying, but don't enjoy the lifestyle so much. I would have another plan to beat it back to to Aus if things did not work out as planned so keep any bridges you may have firmly in place.

Good Luck.

McD
15th Jun 2001, 04:26
Youngbloke,

I don't know of a single US airline which requires you to be a US citizen in order to work there. However, if you want to live and work in the US, you must have the "right to work" here. By that, I mean the legal right to work here, whether that be by work visa, or by a more "permanent" sort of right (e.g. marriage to a US citizen which would lead to a "green card", etc.)

No one should begrudge you the opportunity to seek a job here if you are here legally, so if that's the case, all the best in your searches!

Click HERE (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum32/HTML/000232.html)for a link to a related thread on this forum that may help you, if you haven't already seen it.

[This message has been edited by McD (edited 15 June 2001).]

Gravox
17th Jun 2001, 08:42
Would any GA company hire an outsider who is in the STATES on a work visa, even though it is only valid for 12 months? If so what is the chance of them possibly sponsering you after?

I have applied for the Green card lottery for a couple of years, but with no luck