PDA

View Full Version : Why have Cartoons gone Downhill?

Rollingthunder
10th Mar 2008, 14:50
They do some clever stuff with CGI in the films (but not well enough to make me to buy a ticket).

However the current crap on TV does not compare to Looney Toons with Bugs and the the boys. Retrograde progress?

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 14:59
One begs to differ Mr T, Family Guy is the funniest prog on TV at the mo,leaves the Simpsons well in its wake,don't even bother watching that now although one does still watch Futurama.
Oh yes and Shaun the Sheep of course, but that int exactly a Cartoon.
:rolleyes:

27mm
10th Mar 2008, 15:00
Don't forget Snow White & the 7 Dwarves (and I don't mean the Disney version) - that was a classic....

Capn Notarious
10th Mar 2008, 15:13
As a cartoon, Tom and Jerry rule ok! Some of their flying demonstrations are without equal.

Binoculars
10th Mar 2008, 15:21
I'm with you RT. Nothing has ever come close to Bugs, Sylvester, Daffy, Elmer, Sam and Ralph, the Road Runner etc. Timeless genius.

I'm just a little concerned that the glory days seem difficult to find on DVD. The hire shops have lots of Merrie Melodies stuff which hadn't had time to mature. I've always wanted to show my kids some of the classics that had, and still can have me wiping tears from my eyes even on repeated viewings. If anybody has a link to somewhere that has the good stuff I'd appreciate it.

The Simpsons? Saw it once. Family Guy? Saw the ads, that was enough. South Park and its derivatives? Get fcuked. AS funny as a fart at a funeral.

Guess I'm a prude when it comes to kids.

Capt.KAOS
10th Mar 2008, 15:26
It began when computers took over from artists like Carl Barks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Barks)...

http://www.geocities.com/%7Ejimlowe/barks/images/bin-dive.jpg

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 15:29
Err those cartoons are hardly aimed at Kids Mr Binos they generally are not shown until after 11 pm.
:uhoh:

C130 Techie
10th Mar 2008, 15:30
I think that maybe the 'clever stuff' is the problem.

The oldies like Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner were just simple slapstick humour and good fun.

Then again maybe it's just that we are that much older and more difficult to please.

Capn Notarious
10th Mar 2008, 16:17
Then again maybe it's just that we are that much older and more difficult to please.

Discerning Selective Analytical
Plus we have seen it all before.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2008, 19:50
Fred Quimby Rules.

True genius never fades.

Havana
10th Mar 2008, 19:57
I done a troop flight a few years ago from Iraq.
The Purser put on the Bugs Bunny vid for fun. Result 400+ battle hardened troops totally engrossed in watching the cartoons.

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 20:14
Betty Boop had better legs than Bugs Bunny.:rolleyes:

pigboat
10th Mar 2008, 20:59
Gotta agree with ya Binos. Well, except for Futurama. :p

I don't know if any of the Loony Tunes stuff is available on DVD, but it surely was available on VHS format. I've got about ten hours of tapes from Amazon. This is the original cartoons, not the stuff that was edited in the 80's by the fun police as being too violent for children.

Once while in the grip of the grape I engaged in a conversation with one of these cretins. The lady was holding forth on the incidence of violence in cartoons designed for children. She said she actually counted thirteen violent incidents in one four minute Wiley E. Coyote cartoon. I opined that if her child didn't know the difference between an animated cartoon and real action, the kid had probably been dropped on his head by the doctor at birth. She became extremely animated and threatened me with a violent act. :confused:

Buster Hyman
10th Mar 2008, 22:37
IIRC, there's a p*****er here that admitted to having the 'hots' for Kim Possible.....:ooh:

Don't mind Family Guy, enjoy Futurama, but the rest leave me cold. As for kids cartoons, there's one where Nathan Lane provides the voice for a dog that pretends to be a boy & Gerry Stiller plays a parrot...that's rather good.

I much prefer static cartoons anyway...reminds me of this very good aviation book.....:D

Beatriz Fontana
11th Mar 2008, 00:04
Whilst Family Guy and The Simpsons are fantastic, nothing beats the multi-layered genius of Dangermouse!

notmyC150v2
11th Mar 2008, 01:07
All time favourite would have to be Foghorn Leghorn. Just loved the brilliant (violent) practical jokes on the dog.

And Buster I am not a p*****r. :E:E:E Just having a bit of trouble trying to convince the missus to wear the mask :( :}

Hambleite
11th Mar 2008, 01:31
Family Guy better than the Simpsons??! Maybe it would be if it was original instead of just copying Homer & co

Radar66
11th Mar 2008, 08:46
I guess that there's something in the maxim: 'the old ones are always the best ones'.

Wonder what the kids of today will blether about to their kids? 'Toy Story'? 'Monster Inc'? 'Ice Age'? 'Happy Feet'? :confused:
Maybe it really is true when they say:

http://www.tc.state.mn.us/classes/sql_denials/images/thatsall.gif

Howard Hughes
11th Mar 2008, 09:04
What, no gwavy...;)

ford cortina
11th Mar 2008, 09:37
Having grown up with Bugs, Daffy, Forghorn and the rest.
I feel that the stuff my Nieece watches is rubbish, although Spongbob and Fairly Odd Parents have their moments.

Why the never show the classics I don't know. Who can forget Bugs and Elmer at the Opera, Daffy as Robin Hood, Bugs and the Bullfight....

No one has mentioned Dick Dastardly and Catch the Pigeon.... Class. I got it a few years ago on DVD in the states, there were only ever 20 odd episodes, Why...... Hanna Barbera annother great studio, The Flintstones, Hair Bear Bunch, Yogi Bear....

Dop
11th Mar 2008, 11:13
Who can forget Bugs and Elmer at the Opera

I can never hear Ride of the Valkyries without singing "Kill da wabbit...".

flower
11th Mar 2008, 11:14
Scooby Doo is my favourite cartoon and thank goodness for Boomerang so I can watch it when in the mood. However the new version of Scooby Doo is a pale imitation of the original.

Flintstones, Hair Bear Bunch and of course Penelope Pitstop were great and I still think pass the test of time the Jetsons maybe not. Who can forget Masters of the Universe and by the Power of gray skull I have the power :}

If you watch Boomerang there are many of the old cartoons and they are on every day including Tom & Jerry but lets face it children today are very different from how many of us were as children and I certainly didn't enjoy some of the things my parents would have preferred i watched.

tony draper
11th Mar 2008, 11:26
Scooby Doo? it were exactly the same plot every bloody episode. :uhoh: :rolleyes:

TommyOv
11th Mar 2008, 11:29
I have privately considered this issue for some time. A while ago I had a rare Sunday lie-in, and turned the TV on. Too lazy to change the channel, I sat for almost an hour watching a selection of the latest kids' cartoons.

Perhaps this is a sad sign of ageing, but I couldn't keep up! They were so fast paced that my head literally hurt and I had absolutely no idea what was going on (although I could make out explosions, lasers, and American accents). In the end I had to change to a more sedate channel.

Perhaps this is the reason that kids now can't seem to sit still for more than two seconds?

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 11:31
And so were the sheepdog and wolf cartoons, Mr D. It was the inevitable result tht was funny, with funny variations in between.

Good night Sam. Good night Ralph, see you in the morning.

Classic stuff.

Flap 5
11th Mar 2008, 12:39
Another vote for Dangermouse here. :D

GPMG
11th Mar 2008, 12:45
Dangermouse and Dr Snuggles

Great viewing after school.

ThreadBaron
11th Mar 2008, 12:45
Buggah! Beaten by Binos!! Twas the wolf and sheepdog I wuz trying to remember.

However, you cannot beat Bugs, Elmer and Marvin, although I would think that Wylie E. Coyote and the Roadrunner would be perfect for today's attention deficient child. Six or seven 45-second segments on one reel ought to be perfect.

Acme. Was there anything they did not make or supply in the coyote-killing line?

Bern Oulli
11th Mar 2008, 13:46
Acme. Was there anything they did not make or supply in the coyote-killing line?

Nope. See here. (http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme/acme.html)

Tigs2
11th Mar 2008, 14:39
I have an old Tom & Jerry vid, used to sit with the boys when they were very short noise and eating machines and literally used to cry when watching it. The laughter was uncontrolable, belly and rib aching, probably did the kids permanent damage:)

What about Top Cat, Deputy Dawg and Huckleberry Fin?

I have to admit I did have a schoolboy crush on Jessica Rabbit and I was in my 30s:}

I think the Simpsons is great. Slapstick for the kids, and a moral in every story for the adults. There cannot be a more devoted/faithful man in the world to his wife and kids than Homer:)

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 14:52
Damn you Tigs2! You should know the unwritten law; thou shalt not mention Jessica Rabbit!

Half the male population could finish in chains if their true feeling towards JR were admitted. You should know that this secret ranks with the Masonic handshake and a desperate longing for the blonde in ABBA as things never to be mentioned.

Foss
11th Mar 2008, 15:15
Once, when I was lot younger, I went to Ibiza.
Gin was cheaper than water.
What was playing in the bars on very big screens, Roadrunner and kickboxing.

Quite a bit of violence.
You can get hours of entertainment just by making the roadrunner noise.
Got hours and hours of it on tape.
Best way to get a bunch of drunk people to shut up.
Meep meep (then make the roadrunner noise using a beer bottle)
Sad, I know.
The lawyer still sings 'with my sword and MAGIC hellllllmet' if he's had a few.
Fos

Ant
11th Mar 2008, 15:40
An under-rated minor cult classic, 'Duckman' from the mid 90's ...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Duckman.gif

Tigs2
11th Mar 2008, 17:58
Bino's
:D:D

Watch this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y5IiZKZz0m8

I have come over all unnecessary :O:O:O

Goodnight all:E:ok:

Track Coastal
11th Mar 2008, 18:25
That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son.

Boy's got a mouth like a cannon, always shootin' off.

Boy's like a tattoo. Gets right under your skin.

Okay, I'll shut up. Some fellas have to keep their tongues flappin' but not me. I was brought up right. My pa used to tell me to shut up and I'd shut up. I wouldn't say nothin'. One time darn near starved to death. WOULDN'T TELL HIM I WAS HUNGRY!!

Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball.

Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency.

Boy's like a dead horse -- got no get-up-and-go.

That boy's as strong as an ox, and just about as smart.

This is gonna cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show!

Kid don't stop talking so much he'll get his tongue sun burned.

That girl's like that road between Fort Worth and Dallas ...No curves.

I don't think this kid's got all his marbles. Shakes his head when he means yes and nods when he means no.

Did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white, then blue. Rhode Island, red white and blue! That's a joke, son, a flag-waver! You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em! Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball! Eye. Ball. Eyeball! I almost had a gag, son--a joke, that is!

Well, woman, blink your eyes or something. Yeesh!

Say, boy, you cover about as much as a flapper skirt in a high wind.

Place your bet - Ah say - place your bets, gentlemen. Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone.

A sensitive mind won't stand being picked on.

The dawg's busier than a centipede at a toe-counting contest.

Hey Dawg! I've come to bury the hatchet! Ha, ha. Not in your pointed head, Boy. I come in peace! I brought you a peace-offerin'.

The snow's so deep, the farmers have to jack up the cows so they can milk 'em!

That dawg is strictly G.I. -- Gibbering Idiot!

OH that woman. Gotta mouth like an outboard moter. All the time! Putputputputputput-phut-phut-phut-putputputputputputputputphew!

I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job.

That boy's as timid as a canary at a cat-show.

I need, I say, I need a pointer, and that dog's got just the head for it. Pointed, that is.

Go away, boy! Or I'll spank you where the feathers are thinnest.

What'ya doin' with a pump, boy? Diggin' for oil? You're crazy, boy. There's no oil within 500 miles of here. Geology of the ground's all wrong. Even if there WAS oil you'd need a drill not a tire pump.

Nice girl but about as sharp as a sack 'a wet mice.

Explain yourself! Yer tounge's flappin' but no noise is comin' outa yer big mouth!

Pay attention to me boy - I'm not just talkin' to hear my head roar!

That dawg's as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel 'a oatmeal.

Hey, give me that! (takes the axe away from the cat) Who do you think you are, George Washington? (hits the cat over the head with the axe) Hm, there's no cherry trees around here.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Looney_Tunes_Show

(Sylvester and Yosemite are worth a squizz as well)

ChampChump
11th Mar 2008, 18:58
Nothing beats the green one.

http://www.hotink.com/wacky/dastrdly/

Hagbard the Amateur
11th Mar 2008, 19:56
For me the stars of the past were Chuck Jones, (Bugs, Daffy, Roadrunner etc.) and Tex Avery (Droopy etc.) another innovator. To go back even further, I praise the disputed creators of Felix the Cat, Pat Sullivan and Otto Messmer - the first to employ to a wide audience the concepts of animated surrealism, humour and character to a wide international audience.

Since then, there have been many other creators who I love to watch. I won't bore you with the names of a couple of examples - just the characters they created visually and verbally;

Ren and Stimpy

Cow and Chicken

Dexter's Laboratory (our cat is called Dee Dee in honour of that show.)

Ironically - two of those titles came from Hanna Barbera who these days seem to be at the cutting edge of intelligent humour. Back in the days of Scooby Doo (70s) it was all a bit sterile and safe for them.

ORAC
11th Mar 2008, 20:02
One admits, whilst in the USA for a couple of years, falling in love with "Cow and Chicken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_and_Chicken)" and "Ren and Stimpy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ren_and_Stimpy_Show)" :\

Richard Taylor
11th Mar 2008, 20:17
Can I ask - how did Wylie E Coyote Esq pay the ACME Co?

Must have been their best customer, yet they kept supplying him with duff goods!

But what did the not-so-cunning one DO for a living to pay all those ACME bills?

:p

xylence
11th Mar 2008, 20:57
the original Donald Duck is my favourite! (:

frostbite
11th Mar 2008, 22:02
"how did Wylie E Coyote Esq pay the ACME Co?"

Didn't have to - he was their Product Advisor.

AN2 Driver
11th Mar 2008, 22:06
Who can forget Bugs and Elmer at the Opera

I can never hear Ride of the Valkyries without singing "Kill da wabbit...".

Can't watch Casablanca anymore either without a uncontrollable urge to laugh in the most inappropriate moments due to "Carrotblanca".

Bugs and company are as funny as ever.

I did like the offshot from Ice Age tough, "gone nutty" and that crazy squirrel starting the continental drift :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVMvUom_IE

CrimsonEclipse
11th Mar 2008, 22:39
The best cartoon were made for adults. The greatest cartoons were made during WWII and soon after before PC nonsense became the norm. Ever watch Warner Bros cartoons BEFORE they were censored. They were a freakin' riot!

Futurama, Family Guy, and many modern cartoons are also made specifically
for mature adults.

Ever watch South Park? How about Drawn Together?

Some Japanese animation have advanced plots. Cowboy Bebop. Don't worry
about the strange name, it's one of the best series out there.
(I usually skip the Giant Robot and Marshal Arts Fighting geared toward the
teenage crowd)

CE

selfloadingcargo
11th Mar 2008, 23:44
Even cartoon strips are feeble compared with the not-so-distant past. Nothing (and I mean nothing) can compare with Calvin & Hobbes.....

(for movie cartoons, my vote is for Dick Dastardly and Muttley)

CoodaShooda
12th Mar 2008, 00:12
I was surprised to see Roger Ramjet getting a re-run a year or two back, given the PC brigade's stance against violence, drug taking (oooh that proton pill) and grown men hanging out with young boys.

Must have snuck through about the same time as Happy Tree & Friends. Now there's graphic and gratuitous violence for you. More splatstick than slapstick. :ok:

The CoodaKids got into Dragon BallZ a while back but I 'spoiled' it for them by pointing out that the show consisted of 20 minutes of two characters groaning in the general direction of each other. No dialogue, wit or meaning - just a vehicle for selling the latest fad toys.

Perhaps there lies the problem.

shedhead
12th Mar 2008, 00:37
I find myself getting more like Yosemite Sam by the day (yah mule!) the loony toons cartoons were totally anarchic and thats what made them so very good.
Not allowed nowadays.sorry but we live in a merry melodies world now, all cute and wholesome and insipid,how dull! still, in my memory a little voice still says "woah you humpety backed mule!" and that will do for me!

deltayankee
12th Mar 2008, 12:46
I'm a great fan of classic toons with a collection of old stuff including the unbroadcastable ones ("Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs", uncut Tom & Jerrys etc), but I don't agree there is nothing good now.

Aardmann Animations stop motion animation stuff like Wallace & Grommit has to be the best of its type ever and unlikely ever to be outdone given the high cost of this method. The Simpsons, though not innovative in any technical way, has entertained millions for years and reignited interest in animation not just for kids. At the toddler end of the market Astley-Baker's 2d digital "Peppa Pig" is well animated and is bearable by adults. And there are some pretty impressive 3d CGI shows now -- just check out "La Famille Ouf" from France and "Porong Porong Pororo" from Korea. The animation business is thriving again in a way not seen since the golden age of handinked multiplane cel animation.

But there is also some rubbish and unfortunately TV buyers with a tight budget seem to fall for these, getting animation a bad reputation.

Dan D'air
12th Mar 2008, 13:49
IIRC, there's a p*****er here that admitted to having the 'hots' for Kim Possible

I once worked with a chap who finds Marge Simpson sexually attractive. Always seemed just a little bit wrong somehow.

bnt
12th Mar 2008, 14:57
Even cartoon strips are feeble compared with the not-so-distant past. Nothing (and I mean nothing) can compare with Calvin & Hobbes.....

Indeed - Bill Watterson is a former advertising executive who struggled to keep his cartoon as good as it was, against commercial interests, and the tendency to cram more cartoons in to smaller spaces on the paper. He wasn't afraid to use plenty of white space if the subject called for it, rather than cram everything in.

http://www.derekbrown.ca/archives/01242007_calvin_hobbes07.gif (http://www.derekbrown.ca/docs/calvin_hobbes_in_the_snow.html)