PDA

View Full Version : Flying Rotary for the US Coastguard

Flarechecklevel
20th Nov 2000, 01:54
I know that the US coastguard has a scheme where EX US Military pilots can be taken on. Does (or would) this scheme work for a British Military pilot with a FAA ATPL? If anyone has any ideas tips or advice on flying for the US Coastguard I would be very intersted. I am a Brit Mil pilot with over 1000hrs and an FAA ATPL and am looking to leave in the next 2 years.

Many Thanks.

Lu Zuckerman
20th Nov 2000, 05:05
I would strongly suggest that if you do apply you spell it U S Coast Guard.

Please check the Just Helicopters forum as ther is a posting by a U S Coast Guard pilot stationed at Traverse City, Michigan. He would be your best bet to find out if you qualify.

Good Luck

I'll save you the trouble:

The United States Coast Guard is looking for military pilots separating from the service. The DCA (Direct Commision Aviator) program allows pilots to transfer into the Coast Guard as an O-2(O-1E for Warrant Officers)and fly either the HH-60 Jayhawk or H-65 Dolphin. Prospective candidates should have over 500 hours of flight time, 2 years of experience and be under the age of 32. The last board accepted age waivers to 35 years old. The next board will be held on 22 Jan 01 with an application deadline of 15 Dec 00. If interested please call 1-800-GET-USCG for your nearest recruiter or contact myself at [email protected]. TEL (231)-922-8218/8300. I am a former CW2 Huey Pilot now flying the H-65 Dolphin at Air Station Traverse City, MI.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 20 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 20 November 2000).]

Oil Captain
20th Nov 2000, 18:53
I am a U. S. Coast Guard Licensed Merchant Marine Officer, and to be a U. S. Merchant Marine Officer it is required for a person to be a U. S. Citizen not a Legal Resident. The majority of our military services require pilots to be U. S. Citizens not Residents. You can join the military with a green card but there are positions that are restricted do to sensitivity for the requirement to be U. S. Citizens only. The U. S. Coast Guard is a reserve force and we as active/reserve Coasties and Merchant Marines do not belong to the Department of Defense (i.e., military) we belong to the Department of Transportation.
My (now X) husband is Australian; had a green card was married to me a U. S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine Officer, and he was told on numerous occasions that he had to wait until he was sworn in as a Citizen to be considered, then those who were naturalized were not to be chosen over applicants that are by birth U. S. Citizens. My oldest brother is a U. S. Army helicopter flight instructor going on 23 years of service now, and he says that to be a helicopter pilot in the Army U. S. Citizenship is required and from what he knows of the transition to the Coast Guard the requirement is for the applicant to have citizenship not a green card/permanent residence. The two are vastly different. If you plan to marry one of us U. S. Lasses and hope to get the job in the military well it takes 10 years of holding a green card to become a naturalized citizen. Another thing too add. Since the Coast Guard is Department of Transportation and their primary service is the coastal waters of the U.S. and out to the international demarcation line in the oceans they fall under our maritime laws which the Jones Act would prohibit any other than a U.S. Citizen from being an officer in their ranks, and Warrants are considered officers. Another note the Jones Act is also the reason a BA aircraft can fly accross and make stops within our borders but are only able to unload passengers not take on passengers during an inter-state flight. Cartage laws and many other laws for aviation were adopted from the maritime laws.

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 20 November 2000).]

Lu Zuckerman
21st Nov 2000, 00:50
Not true,

I have known a lot of individuals that were not US Citizens that were in the US Military. It was after serving the first hitch that they were granted US Citizenship.

------------------
The Cat

britavia
21st Nov 2000, 20:33
About 3 years ago, I heard that non-US citizens can apply for service in the U S military. A then friend of mine knew of an Italian national who found out that he could apply to the US Navy (he wanted to be a helo pilot). At the end of his would-be service, he would have been granted a "green card". Weather he would have been selected of course, is another matter.

Oil Captain
22nd Nov 2000, 00:50
The U S Coast Guard is not in the Department of the Defense and in the Army if you join and have already had a green card if your service record reflects your duty and there is a "need" the military can expedite citizenship. However, one must be able to pass the security clearance and there are strict issues that may prohibit a person from passing such a military clearance. But, the only force that does this is the ARMY. I also did not say that a green card holder could not join the military. Sure wish you could read.

But to assist, and to end this calling me a liar I went to the USCG web site. Here is the web site for the page of direct entry program for aviatiors into the USCG

PLEASE NOTICE THE VERY FIRST REQUIREMENT FOR QUALIFICATIONS!!!
http://www.uscg.mil/jobs/dc/dcaqualapp.htm

Qualifications:

Be a U.S. Citizen
Be over 21 and under 32 years of age
Meet prescribed physical standards
Not be on active duty in the military (except USCG) at the time of commissioning; or submit a letter of resignation from your current service with your application
Have not more than 10 years active duty
Have full-time military or civilian flight experience within two years of the published application deadline
Have a Baccalaureate Degree or have completed 30 semester hours (45 quarters hours) at an accredited college or university
Have served a minimum of two years as either a Warrant Officer in the Army or a Commissioned Officer in any of the Armed Forces
Present evidence of a military rated pilot with a minimum of 500 flight hours
How do I apply?

Application to the Coast Guard DCA Program is handled by Coast Guard Recruiting. The recruiters will provide the application package and assist you through the process. You can obtain the address and telephone number of the nearest Coast Guard Recruiter by calling 1-877-NOW-USCG.

For more information about Direct Commission Aviation or the Coast Guard Aviation Program, contact the Aviation Assignment Officers (CGPC-OPM) at (202) 267-6025 or (202) 267-1680 or The Office of Aviation Management at (202) 267-0952.

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 21 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 21 November 2000).]