PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I shouldn't have said that ...

Juud
10th Mar 2008, 13:47
Our previous boss of cabin ops was a big bully of a man. After years of rumours and stories on the crew grapevine about how he couldn't’t keep his hands to himself around female FAs whenever he joined crews on a ‘familiarization’ trip, he was retired rather suddenly.

His successor arrived with much fanfare. A youngish company man, nonetheless of long standing and a rising star. Eager to become part of the FA family, keen to fix the many problems in the department, eager to repair the damaged industrial relations between management and cabin crew.
A deluge of appearances in all the internal media enthusiastically touting his message of how we will conquer the world together. Of course, under his inspired leadership.
Within 2 months this shining beacon left us for pastures greener, having been promoted up wards into the dizzying top company echelons. Despite his fine rhetoric, he dropped us like a hot turd as soon as something better materialised. We were not after all going to conquer the world together. :rolleyes:
But of course, if you’re on the fast track to becoming the company’s next CEO, that doesn’t really matter.

When traveling on either a staff ticket or a duty ticket, our company, like most I imagine, has fairly strict rules about dress and behaviour. You dress neatly and conservatively, and both on the ground and onboard you behave discretely. You do not call attention to the fact that you are a company employee and you do not in any way inconvenience ground staff or flight crew. You do not carry excess luggage and you do not complain when there is no meal for you.
In other words, you are THE prefect passenger.

After 20 years of commuting on company aircraft, this conduct has become second nature. Like yesterday. Dressed in a neat grey pleated skirt, white blouse, flesh toned stockings, newly shined black leather pumps with a medium heel, flight bag of exactly the right size without cute key hangers or mascots dangling from it, discrete black overcoat.
Get to my business class seat, looking for somewhere to stow my bag. There were only 6 or 7 men (dressed in leisure clothes, unusual in business class) already seated, so there should have been lots of space in the luggage bins. There wasn’t. Having flown the 737 for 5 years, I have a carpenter’s eye for its bins. Found one that looked promising and asked the chap sitting under it if he would be willing to put his bag in the other way around so mine would fit next to it. He complied with much sighing and eye rolling and joking that for sure it wouldn’t make any difference which way around his bag was, mine wouldn’t fit in any way.
I slotted my bag in, taking out the 2 kilos of chocolate Easter Eggs I was bringing home and squeezing them an empty cranny.

The men obviously knew each other, there was banter back and forth across the rows and the aisle. They were archetypal of what every company FA will recognise at 30 paces. One of our countryman who is a Success in Life. Between 25 and 45, very pleased with himself and his world, keen to let everybody know that he does well for himself by dressing in a certain manner, speaking with a certain arrogant twang, in a pseudo jovial manner and with a braying quality to his voice. All these behaviourism tend to become worse when around young, pretty females who are ‘lower’ in rank. Behaviour which they themselves of course consider perfectly normal.
I opened my book and tried to read. Despite its clever plot, I kept being distracted by the braying chaps all around me. From their incessant dropping of the company name, it quickly became obvious that they were all in company management.

The business class slowly filled up. Of course there was no space left in the luggage bins, so our full fare paying pax’ hand luggage went into the hold. Last man boarding looked vaguely familiar to me. I saw him chatting to the Purser, and by her body language I could tell he too was a company man. All smiles, the Purser stowed Late Arrival’s 3 large pieces of hand luggage in the coatroom. Which caused disgruntled mutterings from a few pax around me whose luggage had been banned to the hold.
Last Arrival spots my Easter Eggs, and jovially asks one of the others if the eggs belong to him? “No, the lady over there”
“Ahh, you are starting an Easter Eggs business in Norway Madam?” Cue much laughter from his companions.
Engage Number 3 Nice Smile; “They don’t sell them in Norway and I like to keep some Dutch traditions alive in our home”
Some more amused chuckling while Last Arrival settles down in the seat in front of me. My nose back into the book, briefly wondering again where I know the guy’s face from.

Suddenly the PA crackles on, I look up and see one of our more extrovert Captains standing in the aisle holding the microphone. Captain’s tall chap, ex air force with the handle-bar moustache, we know each other well and he discretely nods at me in welcome.
He cuts an imposing figure and with gusto he welcomes the pax and excitedly explains about Danish ATC troubles and how we are going to fly to Oslo via Scotland. All on time, he beams at us!
Pax listening raptly and with great interest observe this throwback to what they know from old comic books and romantic movies a pilot is supposed to be. We are enthralled. ;)
In the middle of Handle Bar’s virtuoso performance, Last Arrival exits the front toilet. Bumping the loo door into our Valiant Aviator. Who, completely unfazed by this unexpected disturbance from right flank, makes a show of carefully lifting the mike’s wire over Late Arrival’s head, allowing him back to his seat and making a joke about how “this man MUST work for our company”. Laughter from the pax, slight sheep face on Late Arrival.

After Captain Intrepid’s done, the slides get armed and the Purser takes the mike. She’s a very pretty girl in her late twenties, whom I know to be in the last stages of getting a PhD in applied psychology. She’s blonde and cute and has a slightly diffident but very friendly way with her.
She does the welcome PA and segues into the Flight Safety Demo. The FA doing the demo in the business class is another pretty, pony tailed blonde girl. Picture perfect FA looks the both of them.
The company men around me restart their yacking as soon as the Captain is done. They do not pause when the Purser starts her PA. Across the aisle, between various rows, they keep up an incessant flow of chatter during the whole demo. Pointedly ignoring the FA, visibly distracting the Purser and making it all but impossible for anybody else to hear a word of the safety brief.

I do my usual and politely watch the FA doing her thing with yellow plastic bits. All the while feeling a very deep annoyance bubbling up in me. The red mist is definitely descending.
The Company Men just keep on talking … yack yack yack and more yack.
When the demo’s done, I tap the shoulder of Late Arrival and in a low voice address him.
“Excuse me Sir, am I correct in understanding that you too work for the company?”
“Yes I do, why so?”
“You and your travel companions have loudly talked through the entire safety demo. Which shows a complete lack of respect for our colleague the FA here, contempt for the safety briefing and it gives a very wrong signal to all the other pax who KNOW you’re with the company. It also distracted the Purser and made it impossible for anybody in C-class to hear the Purser’s spiel. To my mind, that’s pretty unprofessional and I just want to let you know that.”
His head snaps around and all jocularity has vanished. And HE certainly is not going to whisper.
“We didn’t talk loudly at all, I don’t know what you are talking about. Everybody could hear the demo fine, perhaps you are an overanxious flyer?”
“Sir, let us not get into a discussion. I have said my piece. It is of course entirely up to you to talk through the demo. I just would like you to maybe think about what I said next time you fly on a company aircraft.”
Sudden silence descends over the business class. No more jokes, and with everybody avidly avoiding each other’s eyes and reading their newspaper, we taxi out and take off. The atmosphere distinctly uncomfortable.

When we’ve leveled off , the FA starts handing out hot towels and the men slowly but now much quieter, take up their conversations. My nose deep in my book yet again, enjoying the sun streaming through the window and anticipating a nice breakfast.
“Jude, could you step into the cockpit for a sec, Captain wants to see you”
Smiling Purser whispers into my startled face.
She closes the curtain behind me, and into the cockpit I go.
Handle Bar Tache is sitting there with tears of laughter running down his face. In between guffaws he introduces me to the FO. I am at a complete loss.
“Woman, tell me right now! Did the Purser read the situation correctly and did you just now actually tell off our coming CEO and his minions for talking through the safety demo? I hope your family doesn’t depend on your wages but I LOVE you darling. Fantastic!”

Oh **** **** **** feck………. :uhoh:

Alloa Akbar
10th Mar 2008, 14:00
Quality:D:D

Rollingthunder
10th Mar 2008, 14:02
Stick to your guns. The truth always shines through, ceo types not with standing.

west lakes
10th Mar 2008, 14:21
Juud
Priceless
I'd email him the reference in the staff manual as well.

Our last Chief Operating officer got bollocked by me 3 times in 2 years over safety issues (things he was personally doing wrong) and not replying to emails.
When he moved on in Dec last I got a personal (handwritten) letter of thanks from him

Big Tudor
10th Mar 2008, 14:23
If he is a CEO-in-waiting then he should take what you said on board and learn from it. Nobody in aviation is exempt from safety, no matter how good they think they are.
If, on the other hand, he decides he is above such menial chores as listening to safety briefs then he has no place in aviation.

Good on yer Jude. I applaud anyone who can prick the bubble of pomposity. :D

Loose rivets
10th Mar 2008, 14:32
LUVVIT!!! But hey, I thought that it was only me that did things like that. :}

I have a PhD in the science of filling mouth with foot, then shooting one's self in same. But, as said above, stick to your guns...I always did. Mind you, the lack of employment was a factor sometimes.:rolleyes:

Despite his fine rhetoric, he dropped us like a hot turd as soon as something better materialised.

To quote Peter Cook Loyffss loyk that.

redsnail
10th Mar 2008, 14:47
Onya Jude,

You did the right thing. He should have known better, as should his colleagues.
There's no excuse for talking through the safety demo. None at all. As the new CEO it's up to him to set the example, this he failed to do.

Perhaps this'll teach him that no-one's immune from this.

Good one. :ok:

I really doubt anything will happen except you'll become even more legendary with all the aircrew. :E

johnfairr
10th Mar 2008, 14:49
Speechless! Epic tale-telling, Juud, you must, must keep all these snippets that you've shared with us over the years, there is a best-seller there. Your writing stye is outstanding and the content, as always, is wonderfully described.

More power to your elbow, BRAVO!!:D:D:D:D

jf

Mac the Knife
10th Mar 2008, 14:57
Far-out, solid and RIGHT ON!

Love it.

:ok:

Mac

Radar66
10th Mar 2008, 14:58
At the end of the day Juud you are totally utterly and completely in the right. Moresoever, if you DID get any future flak from that, you would be in a very strong position to sue them! :}

Don't worry about it - Reddo's got it right - legend in your own lifetime gal! :ok:

haughtney1
10th Mar 2008, 15:01
Exellent work Juud, CEO or no CEO, they are just a pax who in an emergency are relying on the professionalism and experience of a crew to ensure their safety :ok:

Lon More
Priceless Juud

:ok::ok:

Does he have ANY aviation background?

BlueDiamond
Well done, that woman. And full marks for having the guts to speak up about their bad behaviour! :ok:

Capt.KAOS
10th Mar 2008, 15:14
Dressed in a neat grey pleated skirt, white blouse, flesh toned stockings, newly shined black leather pumps with a medium heel, flight bag of exactly the right size without cute key hangers or mascots dangling from it, discrete black overcoat.Hmm..can see it in front of me... Dressed to kill, huh? :p

Juud, helluva story. In Hollywood movies guys/girls like you are being praised for their honesty by their bosses (see Jim Carrey in Liar, Liar), but that's what it is, Hollywood movies. I sincerely hope the future CEO will realise that promotion is the only way to "reward" you, but then again in the higher company echelons it's no more business just dirty politics.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2008, 15:34
On a recent (Ryanair?) flight a passenger was bumped for talking through the safety demo IIRC.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/27/nryanair127.xml
Whilst I might not listen (or pay attention) to a demonstration that I have seen and heard dozens of times before, I would never do anything that would prevent other passengers from listening. You were right to point out the error of their ways, Juud, and, provided that your manner was 'informative' rather than confrontational and demeaning then the putative CEO should acknowledge the error of the behaviour of his minions (or should that be mignons?).

Curious Pax
10th Mar 2008, 15:35
The clothing puzzled me Juud - from that description you'd only blend in to a crowd of Dutchmen/women if there was a nuns' outing on your flight!!

Congrats on your career move, though you may not have done yourself any harm. Mrs CP, who moves in higher circles than I do, often finds that a no-nonsense approach goes down better with people sick of fawning yes men.

lexxity
10th Mar 2008, 15:45
Oh Juud that's hilarious! You'll always get another flying job.:}

Seriously though you did the right thing. Tell me, is the new CEO one of the new "Call me XYZ" firm handshake no tie type of bloke? Probably needs a few lessons in airline running if he is.

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2008, 16:03
I'd ask the question: How did he get to be an up and coming CEO with an attitude like that?

Well, a rhetorical question; we all know how.

Well done, I say. :)

I once did a helicopter check ride on our new station commander to be. He wasn't very good, having come from fixed wing.

Afterwards, as I was flying back, to give him a relaxation break, he asked me how he had done. I said, in what I thought was a friendly manner: "It's OK, Sir - you can stay". He looked across the cockpit at me angrily and snapped: "What do you mean? Are you trying to make a name for yourself?"

"No sir, definitely not", said I.

I left things at that. The debrief was very short, as I had suddenly realised that a truthful debrief was totally pointless. :rolleyes:

He went on to make the Chief of the Air Staff. :hmm:

Juud
10th Mar 2008, 16:03
You lot are very kind, and I thank you for the consoling posts.
But as all of us over 25 know, being right / doing the right thing matters not one iota when you upset People with Power in real life.
Been there, done that, obviously didn't learn sh!t. :(

Actually, apart from writing myself out of misery, the reason I posted this was a hope that some of you have similar (or worse!) tales to share.

Reading about any such happenings would make me feel a lot better. :ok:

frostbite
10th Mar 2008, 16:06
Wonder if the clang could be heard on the ground you were flying over?

But you were so right!

shy_one
10th Mar 2008, 16:30
Juud

I have a similar tale to tell. I will type up and post when I have a chance.

shy_one

The SSK
10th Mar 2008, 16:33
Hands up who paused momentarily at the 'flesh toned stockings' bit?

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2008, 17:04
For better or worse, Juud, at least you will be 'known' to the new CEO. Just think, you could have spent the rest of your time there being 'just an anonymous Purser', even if you had greeted him onboard your own flight . . .

Now, you have the satisfaction of knowing that, whilst you might not recognise him, he will certainly recognise you. Look forward to your next encounter and see whether he persists in talking through your safety-briefing.

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 18:28
The loudness and bluster is but a cover for fear Mamasan, those types are deeply insecure without a desk betwixt them and the world.
:rolleyes:

landlady
10th Mar 2008, 18:58
During an incident in the 70's involving a Laker DC10 at Niagra, after swift removal of pax from the aircraft I noticed one of them standing on the tarmac taking pictures of the main gear. I ,( a brand new hostie, very keen), took him firmly by the arm and marched him in very quick style into the terminal building, admonishing him whilst reminding him of the dangers involved in what he had done and demanding that he hand over the camera. It took two very senior people to convince me that he really was the airport director.

Again at Laker, somewhere over the pond, seatbelt signs come on, CAT. I do the seatbelt check. It's the middle of the night...we used our torches when we patrolled the cabin in those days. I shone my torch into the lap of a good-looking guy who had his blanket over his lap and was doing something extremly untoward underneath. As I couldn't see his belt I told the IFD what the problem was, and what I thought he was doing. "Not on my aircraft, he's not", says she, and marches down to his seat. She deftly removes the blanket whilst mumbling about him being the lowest of all human life, then we notice the camera in his lap and the film he is trying to change, in darkness so as not to expose the film to light. Good job it was dark. Red faces all round.:\

(Long before these digital days!)

Forkandles
10th Mar 2008, 19:10

Guilty as charged. My imagination tends to run riot at the merest hint of a stocking top.....:O

pigboat
10th Mar 2008, 19:38
Well done Jude. :ok:

Actually, apart from writing myself out of misery, the reason I posted this was a hope that some of you have similar (or worse!) tales to share

Here's my effort. The best company president we ever had was a mining engineer from South Africa. An absolutely-no-bs straight shooter. Our policy on the company shuttle, if the manifest was full, was to call the flight fifteen minutes before scheduled departure then load the pax and leave. One fine Monday, we completed that procedure and after becoming airborne we got a request from center for us to call company. Our chief engineer answered our call with the question, "Are you below landing weight? Come back and get Mr. R." It seems his secretary had forgotten to enter his name into the reservations system on Friday, and for the first time in his life he was a few minutes late at our hangar. He was obviously embarrassed but the only thing he said was, "Well, at least you guys leave on time."

Looks like we're not alone here SSK. ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Mar 2008, 19:44
You'll be sorry you didn't nut him when he gets to the top and does something bloody stupid a few years from now....:E

GrumpyOldFart
10th Mar 2008, 20:07
Juud:

I'm pretty sure that, even if you had known who he was, you would still have said your piece. And rightly so.

:ok:

Piggy:

Looks like we're not alone here SSK

You got that right.

Wouldn't you like to see her come and knock seven kinds of s**t out of the ladies (of both sexes) at AC?

:E

S'land
10th Mar 2008, 20:09
Well done Juud. As a member of the SLF group who has spent far too many hours/days/years flying it is always good to see loud mouthed passengers who disrupt the safety demo pulled down a peg or two.

I was on a Ryanair flight back from the UK at Christmas when one of the cabin crew told a group of passengers to shut up during the demo. Yes, I may have heard the spiel before, as may many of the other passengers, but not everyone has. My sister has always been a nervous passenger and I know that she takes some comfort from the demo.

SSK:
Guilty as charged. :\

matt_hooks
10th Mar 2008, 20:16
Juud, a question...

If you had known beforehand who the guy was, would you still have had a word?

I have a feeling, idealism etc. aside, that the answer would be definitely yes, because it was the right thing to do!

John Hill
10th Mar 2008, 20:18
Excellent! A very nice job of work and a tale well told!:D

It's Not Working
10th Mar 2008, 20:21
Pprune at its best.

sprocket
10th Mar 2008, 20:42
Judd: It is about knowing you've done the right thing, if this guy is smart he will leave you alone.

Great story. :ok:

lexxity
10th Mar 2008, 20:49
How about a mass humilation. One Saturday, me and him decided we would go and see some friends in London so we get on our shuttle to LHR. Arriving at check in we discover that the whole system is down, so manual it is, same for boarding and bag reconciliation, oh joy of joys. Staff are doing a blinding job keeping everything moving but are far tenser than normal. Weird.

Upon arriving at the gate I discover the reason why. Standing behind the gate staff is a man in a black suit. THE BOSS. The owner and Chairman. Ah!

We board, more or less on time and he is also paxing down. He settles in about two rows in front of me and I see the crew proceed to walk up and down doing the headcount, then again and again, then again and again. Departure time comes and goes, still the headcount is wrong. At this point all the staff are red in the face and all too aware of the Gentleman in 2A. Finally the count is right and then the PA goes, "Ahhh Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now going to be delayed a little further, having missed out slot." All the time THE BOSS is sat with his Saturday broadsheet open at an advert, Our Company, LHR's Most Punctual airline. :E

To add insult to injury the cabincrew totally duffed their arrival PA as well. I bet they have never been so glad to get to their destination.

west lakes
10th Mar 2008, 21:03
Lexxi

You've just reminded me of this!

For better or worse my employer as operated and maintained the electricity network at MAN for years. (so you know who to blame now)

A few years ago a major fault caused chaos, as it does in T2 I think. Somehow one of our great white chiefs got on the PA system (don't know how) and launched into a grovelling apology about the situation (trouble was he had, apparently, been in the bar).
Shortly after his holiday, he was ever so quietly moved out of his post.

Juud
Your "rising star" should count his blessings. At least it was you having a quiet word and not some journalist writing about it in tomorrows paper.

Buster Hyman
10th Mar 2008, 21:16
Great story Juud. And, you are 100% correct in voicing your opinion.

Sadly, at Ansett, when GM was the GM, he forbade staff to travel in Business class when he travelled...or so the story goes.:(

fernytickles
10th Mar 2008, 22:09
Juud,

In one short moment, you did more for CC than anyone has in years. That was a beautifully written, hilarious story, had me laughing out loud. I will have to copy down what you said, word for word (cos I'm crap at that sort of thing) and carry it with me from now on when I fly airlines :ok:

There's no way you could feel guilty for saying and doing the right thing, shurely?

flower
10th Mar 2008, 22:51
Juud i suspect you found yourself an admirer rather than an enemy in the senior management team. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find good things come your way when they need a poster lady etc.

Paradise Lost
10th Mar 2008, 23:22
Juud, don't ever worry about losing your job in aviation; you are completely wasted there and should be writing articles like that for greater amusement of mankind! Absolutely classic tale of crime and passion...........

airship
11th Mar 2008, 00:37
Did the Purser read the situation correctly and did you just now actually tell off our coming CEO and his minions for talking through the safety demo? I hope your family doesn’t depend on your wages but I LOVE you darling. Juud, if the worst that can happen actually does happen, do you prefer a clean "head shot" or multiple "body shots"? I don't want to know if the target is married or has children. Does he have any pudicats though...?! :uhoh::ok:

airmuster
11th Mar 2008, 01:11
Juud.... Whatever may or may not happen, be assured that you did the right thing for all the reasons that have been posted here and a few more besides. Safety is paramount and if your future CEO wants to disrupt the procedure, then let him explain himself on why he did so. If I were HIS boss, then he'd be polishing the spinner now.

Best laugh for a long time

Rananim
11th Mar 2008, 13:22
Your anecdote was very self-revealing.What exactly annoyed you so much?
was it
A)They listened to the male but not the female
OR
B)They didnt listen to the safety briefing(your assumption)

Mr Handlebars made his speech from the galley.Its out of the norm so its going to get people's attention.Human nature.The safety briefing is repetitive and read verbatim from a card.Most passengers these days are frequent flyers.They've heard it before.They are capable of deciding all by themselves just how much attention to give it.And anyway,how can you police perceived passenger inattentiveness?How would you go about doing that?As a passenger yourself,were you not being obnoxious and presumptuous yourself by trying to do just that?Many passengers read the paper or carry on a conversation whilst keeping an eye/ear out for whats being said in the safety briefing.Only the new flyers will hang on every word thats being said.Nothing unusual/unsafe in that.Read your book and chill out.

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 13:31
Nice windup, Rananim.

I too, perhaps to my discredit, take no notice of the safety briefing, but I would certainly not be so discourteous as to talk over the top of it. For a CEO to fail to honour the same courtesy would leave him open to all sorts of accusations.

Of course, that would make no difference whatsoever to his position, no doubt exorbitantly paid and with lots of stock options, but the wiser CEO's at least pretend to be doing the right thing.

BTW, could I suggest that you learn the value of the space bar between sentences?

airship
11th Mar 2008, 13:32
Do you want I add Rananim to the contract?! ;)

I'm going to need some help by the looks of things - maybe Foss can find someone to look after the mutt for a few days... :ok:

Foss
11th Mar 2008, 14:55
No problem at all Airship. A dog home is a happy home.

I always get stuck next to the emergency exit flying, Young(ish), male, on my own.
'Here, I'm next to the exit again.' You want me to do stuff, don't you.
Get the safety speech, I am rapt with attention. 'I'm meant to do what? I'm meant to help everyone else? How heavy is that door, oh, I'm last out am I, well that's just great, after you, after you, no, you first.'

Fos

Lon More
11th Mar 2008, 15:17
Juud Was the Captain also the co-author of a series of books on aviation, ML?

LGS6753
11th Mar 2008, 16:54
Juud,

Your interview with the Chairman for the vacant position of CEO will be held at....

Juud
11th Mar 2008, 21:45
LandLady, Piggers, Lexxie and others, thanks for sharing your own tales of woe. Good to hear I´m not the only one, very good. :ok:

Airship, leave him be. For all we know, he might run his local RSPCC chapter. Apart from which Rananim is a PPRuNe-nick of long standing. Mostly used to write somewhat acerbic posts that go against the Recieved Wisdom prevailing on any particular thread. Often a healthy wake-up call and always generating interesting controversy.
You and Foss can lay off for the time being. ;)

Rananim, even if they are more like points-disguised-as-questions, your questions are valid. They are 2 of the many questions I asked myself after that little episode. Partly because I asked myself those questions and many more, my initial post is as long as it is. I am answering them there. :)

In case they really were questions, here are the same answers dressed differently. Extensively and comprehensively typed out. :8

Did it annoy me that the men listened to the male but not to the females?
Guilty as charged M´Lord.

Did it annoy me that they didnt listen to the safety briefing(my assumption)?
Did you skim-read my post Rananim?
I am not assuming they didn´t listen. It´s impossible to listen when you´re talking loudly and without pause.
They didn´t listen and neither could anybody else.

Did that fact that they didn´t listen in itself annoy me? No, of course not. If pax not listening to the safety brief would annoy me in any real sense, I would have been in an early grave years ago.
All your very obvious and oft repeated here on PPRuNe points why pax don´t listen to safety briefings are irrrelevant here.

My annoyance stemmed from the company affiliation of these men, and from the fact that obviously being in higher management (they wouldn´t be in business class otherwise) they knew better than to behave the way they did. Their behaviour didn´t stem from ignorance, it stemmed from a semi-sonsious choice they made: their chatter was more important than both the safety brief and the colleagues providing same. And they intended to make that very clear to everybody present.

Our management is fond of emphasising how we are all in this together. How together we make the company into the success that it is, how we all have to pull together in bad times and how we all get a piece of the cake in good times. We are endlessly reminded of the fact that we are all ´colleagues´ with the company logo engraved in our hearts.
How the blue-water guy is as much part of the team as the Chief Pencil Pusher. How we should always respect eachother´s efforts and recognise these individual efforts as an important part of the overall success.

Part of what annoyed and offended me was the blatant discrepancy between what we are continuously told by higher management, and the actual behaviour of these higher managers. Onboard a company aircraft.

As stated in my first post, we have very strictly enforced rules for staff and company travel. So strict in fact, that the observation of Curious Pax in post 16 is spot on. :D
Still, if we don´t stick to these rules, we lose our staff travel privileges.
If I, when on duty as Senior Purser, am seen not to enforce these rules, I also lose my staff travel perks.
And yet, these men carried far too much hand-luggage to the point where the hand-lugage of full fare paying pax had to go into the hold. Against the rules. They were dressed in leisure clothes, blatantly disregarding the rules that everybody else is supposed to follow. Not that they don´t know the rules, they decided that the rules don´t apply to them.

Management never ceases to impress upon us the paramount importance the company puts on safety. How we as aircrew must always follow each and every safety procedure to the letter. How ALL employees, each and everyone of us, have a personal responsibility for the safety of the operation. How each company employee is personably accountable for the strict adherence to ´safest practice´, how each and every employee will be held personably accountable when he or she fails to take action when a less than safest practice is implemented anywhere in the company.
And yet these men willfully and consciously made a point of NOT fastening their seat belts until we started the take-off roll and of demonstratively NOT listening to the safety brief by means of keeping up a flow of chatter that effectively made it impossible for anybody else in C section to listen to it. Where was the ´safety is our number 1 priority´?
They also showed zero respect and collegiality towards 2 colleagues who were doing their job as best they could.
The discrepancy between word and practice yet again.

Part of good management is leading by example. Do as I do, rather than do as I say.
I try to practice that as much as I can. I never eat before the FAs eat, I make sure I am the first to start working and the last one to sit down. I never read a paper or a book onboard. I try to have my uniform neat and clean, make-up always fresh, and no excessive jewellery when in uniform. I try to go in front with respect for the pax and try to show that I am willing to go the extra mile, both for pax, cockpit and cabin crew. Not because I am such a fantastic employee, but because it is the right thing to do, it´s functional and it´s what they pay me for.
These men did the exact opposite. By their frequent dropping of the company name, everybody in C class apart from the Korean Gent in 2a knew where they worked, and from the Captain´s quip during the loo incident, all the other pax knew as well.
Yet they chose to set an example to everybody on board of ignoring the safety brief and disrespecting the efforts of the cabin crew.
Yes, that annoyed me.

how can you police perceived passenger inattentiveness?How would you go about doing that?As a passenger yourself,were you not being obnoxious and presumptuous yourself by trying to do just that?
A very good question Rananim.
I have difficulties with injustice and with seeing people willfully and callously hurt the feelings of others. I get annoyed when I see people who take a wage for a job but choose to the job less well than they could, thereby often leaving others to sort out the problems caused by their less than sterling efforts.
I have learnt the hard way that I can´t fix all the wrongs in the world.
I have also learnt that to a certain extent, in arenas where I have both the knowledge and the (moral)authority to speak out, I can sometimes make a difference for the better.
Sometimes I achieve nothing more than shooting myself spectecularly in the foot by speaking out against people more powerful than myself. :bored:
Maybe I should heed your advice, chill out and read my book a bit more often?

Some animals are more equal than others. I know that.
But at work nobody should ride rough-shod over the company´s core values while on that same company´s payroll.

But that´s neither chill nor cool, is it Rananim?

west lakes
11th Mar 2008, 21:55
Well said Juud.
I can't help but wonder what the present CEO will think if he finds out (if he doesn't know already) and what that will do to the promotion prospects of some of them.
It happens, we had an MD who decided to have an affair with his secretary (both married) he lasted precisely 1 week after it became public knowledge, before he "left" the company.

Wholigan
11th Mar 2008, 21:59
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

AWESOME as usual Juud.:ok:

Radar66
11th Mar 2008, 22:22
SERIOUSLY a good one juud. :D

Jhieminga
12th Mar 2008, 15:15
I have also learnt that to a certain extent, in arenas where I have both the knowledge and the (moral)authority to speak out, I can sometimes make a difference for the better.
And Amen to that and all the rest she said.

It's an absolutely brilliant story Juud, made even better by your ability to tell it well and to reflect on your own actions. I'll have to save this somewhere for a rainy day.:ok::ok:

Vlieg ze!

Rananim
13th Mar 2008, 14:27
Juud,
Nice rebuff.I stand corrected.I mis-read it as miffiness.You were right.I was wrong.Good luck trying to change the world.:cool:

airship
13th Mar 2008, 14:53
Nice rebuff.I stand corrected.I mis-read it as miffiness.You were right.I was wrong.Good luck trying to change the world. And neither Foss or I had anythin' to do wiv' this change of heart... :ok: ;)

G-CPTN
13th Mar 2008, 15:16
Perhaps a copy of http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3972711&postcount=49
should find its way to the inboxes of the CEO and / or the putative CEO, if not the person in charge of Cabin Crew. No doubt (through the 'senior' Captain) the story will be circulating, and a definitive account of events would counter any embellishment that might suggest that an off-duty Purser was attempting to undermine the authority of the on-duty staff.

johnfairr
13th Mar 2008, 15:58
What a civilised thread this is. Juud puts her case, most eloquently as usual, another Ppruner makes a case for the other viewpoint, response, agreement and an apology. Seems like Pprune heaven to me, and a salutary lesson to us all!

Well done chums, Pprune at its best. :D:D:D:D:D

jf