PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Needed

FLY BY WIRE
12th Jun 2001, 15:14
I'm a British citizen with a British ATPL/IR
with 6000 hrs, and 3 years command on A320's.
Could someone in the know tell me what would be required to goto and work in the US with one of the Majors.
Is this even possible, has anyone in the same position as me done it, and is the grass greener on that side of the Atlantic?
All advice welcome.
Thanks in advance FBW

XL5
12th Jun 2001, 17:23
FAA ATP, total time 2500 hrs with a chunk of turbine PIC along with the right to work in the USA.

Grass greener? Depends on what shade of green you're after. Lots more green stuff in the pay check with lower taxes but quality of life consists of many intangibles and all may not be to your liking.

Theoretical though I think, for most the right to work issue is one hell of a problem and one it seems you have yet to overcome.

DownIn3Green
13th Jun 2001, 01:28
FlyBy,
I agree with XL. You obvivously have the experience, but overcoming the obstacles mentioned are the biggest deal. Then of course, you'd have to start at the bottom of a lengthy seniority list, assuming you could get hired.

One way I know of that may work for you, if it's still happening, is Ryan Air. (not Irish Ryan)

They are an FAR 121 Carrier with no real seniority list, and they hire and furlough as per company needs. ALPO may put an end to this soon (and rightfully so) but I know in the past there was some sort of dual operation going with 737-400's. Half year in Europe, half in the USA. They hired direct into the seat. The US guys got to fly in Europe, so it must be recripocal.

A good source for this is Brookfield Aviation ask for David or Bernie. They were doing this op a few years ago. Don't know if it's still going on, or if it includes the 320.

Hope this helps.

FLY BY WIRE
14th Jun 2001, 00:00
Thanks guys for your input.
It seems unless you win a green card on the lottery its a very closed market. I've looked at some of the majors recruitment web pages and to apply you need the right to live and work in the US, but to get a work visa which would lead to the green card you need a job offer, a catch 22 situation.
I've got to say I'm quite happy where I am, but you never know what the future holds and I've always had a liking for the States.
Seems the only other way is to marry an American. (I wonder how i could get hold of Julia Roberts number?) :)

cavu
14th Jun 2001, 01:36
You might want to investigate the possibility of working for Cathay. I know they have bases in Denver and San Francisco.
If you happen to meet Julia Roberts-I hear she goes for the bumbling Englishman character AKA Hu..Hu..Hugh Grant! I would say generally, to be competative with a major US airline, you would need at least 4000 hours, which you have, a good contact and a personaltiy that fits the specific airline.
The flying is superb on and off the "job", but compared to the green fields of Blighty, many aspects of life are dubious. My own experience of course, but would never think about raising kids here.

Best of luck

[This message has been edited by cavu (edited 13 June 2001).]

G-LOC
14th Jun 2001, 04:36
try Southwest. they may be able to give you a H-1B and then a green card. They are the only US carrier that still requires a degree.

cavu
14th Jun 2001, 19:45
Oh that reminds me. Almost without exception you will require a four year degree to work at a US major. Something like 99.3 percent of last years major new hires had a four year degree. Would probably say it is not even worth applying without one.

McD
15th Jun 2001, 04:39
My 2 cents (or 2p, even) regarding Southwest and degrees.

Southwest, and other airlines as well, do not always require a 4-year degree, especially if the applicant is from a country where (perhaps as in the UK) a Uni degree was not a previously necessary prerequisite for the vast majority of the population. They will take into account the country of origin of the applicant, and the level of education completed in that country.

Don't close a door on yourself that may actually in fact still be open.

GoneWest
15th Jun 2001, 06:55
Flybywire...if you can find me Carol Vordermans e-mail address I'll start my own company and give you a job. Promise.

Dockjock
19th Jun 2001, 03:39
I may find myself in the USA in about 9 months, with 1500 hrs, 3 yr aviation diploma and lots of turbine time but no multi time.

I will also have a green card, but be committed to a contract. Once the contract is up, will I be competitive at the regional level? ie. B1900/King air etc.?

cavu
19th Jun 2001, 21:38
DockJock

That's affirm. You'll just need 100+ multi.

Goodluck.