PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Programs

MOSTAFA
10th Mar 2008, 10:59
Can anybody help, I recently upgraded from MS Office 2003 to 2007 and despite what others have told me I like the upgrade.

Problem is! In the "control panel" "Add/Remove programs" I have several programs showing; they are catagorically not on any drive anymore - not even parts of the programs but they still appear when add/removes populates.

Any idea's

OverTq
10th Mar 2008, 14:54
When you say 'several programmes', what do you mean?

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2008, 15:33
Something left in the registry?

Saab Dastard
10th Mar 2008, 15:42
How were they deleted?

BOAC
10th Mar 2008, 17:26
To avoid reg editing, have a 'Google' for 'Add Remove' or similar - may by now be buyware but was free.

MOSTAFA
10th Mar 2008, 18:55
Thank you everybody to answer all in order.

O' Tq, There are certainly programs populating the list that no longer on the C Drive. MS 2003 is there for sure although I did ensure I clicked the correct box to upgrade.

SD, you are undoubtedly correct in that they were not removed using the add/remove application. I always do but little Mostafa's (28, 30) certainly do whatever they want when I am foolish enough to leave my laptop at home.

BOAC, googling as we speak.

Saab Dastard
10th Mar 2008, 21:33
Set little Mostafas' accounts to User only - NO ADMIN rights!!

That will cure the problem!

SD

Tarq57
10th Mar 2008, 22:52
And password protect it, and disable the guest account.

MOSTAFA
11th Mar 2008, 08:35
Yep!!

Shoulda done all those things but...........................

Seriously, its obviously in the registry but not on the computer I have tried a couple of BOAC's cleaners but they are still in the Control panel - add/remove population.

Just annoying really - them that is - not me.

OverTq
11th Mar 2008, 09:10
MOSTAFA - have you tried CCleaner and/or RegScrubXP? Those two have worked for me in this situation (and they're free).

Saab Dastard
11th Mar 2008, 09:34
Depending on what the programs are, one possibility is to re-install them and then remove them properly.

Assuming you have the installation media, or can get it.

Doesn't always work, though!

SD

BOAC
11th Mar 2008, 10:14
If 'none of the above' are working I reckon it is time for a laborious RegEdit, search for and remove all keys with the offending name, followed by search for and remove all folders in explorer/My Computer. Then reboot and pray:)

1) USUAL caveat - best to make a copy of the reg file first/ensure system restore available.

2) Clip junior Mostafa's firmly around the ears too and follow SD's advice in post #7

3) Password protect your laptop - why do the Mostafalets have access to it anyway?:confused:

MOSTAFA
11th Mar 2008, 12:48
RegScrubXP found 143 errors aagggggggghh - but fixed them all !!!!

The little Mostafa's only visit (every day, I just can't get rid of them) even houses, marriage and babies didn't do the trick, it probably made it worse!

Formal warning issued to them both - not quite at password protecting yet.... but.

Everybody in the Mostafa family has their very own laptop but mine just happens to be EVERYBODIES !!!!!!!!!!

The only entry in the add/remove that does not correspond is an old HP printer I used abroad on a trip. I don't suppose it makes a great deal of difference really - I just know it's there!!

Many thanks again