PDA

View Full Version : PC Madness Part 53....

ORAC
10th Mar 2008, 07:23
Torygraph: 'Germanic' sunbed row hits P&O cruise ship (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/10/nhumour410.xml)

A British cruise ship captain was facing an inquiry after criticising passengers who reserved sun loungers with towels for "Germanic behaviour".

Christopher Wells, 52, the captain of the 77,000-ton Oceana, caused controversy when he used the ship's loudspeakers to ask passengers not to reserve loungers they were not using.

The captain, whose wife, Hedda, is German, announced: "We don't want that kind of Germanic behaviour here!"

Captain Wells apologised to Germans on board during the 15-day P&O Caribbean cruise last month, but now faces an inquiry by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over whether his remarks were racist...........

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2008, 07:26
they should stop nicking the sunbeds then (although, seemingly, the way things are going he should have said "Russian Behaviour")

Al Fakhem
10th Mar 2008, 10:11
With rugby not being well covered by the various sports channels in this part of the world, I couldn't help but see coverage of the Barclays Premier League and the FA Cup. Well, it struck me that the "Equality and Human Rights Commission" seems to be fast asleep at the wheel, given the almost obscene over-representation of non-white players. Or does equality and non-discrimination only work one way?

lexxity
10th Mar 2008, 10:11
That's brilliant! He'll be ok I think, if not then he'll be put on Cunard where sunbed reserving isn't allowed. :E Seriously who'd ever have thought that Sea Captains might have a sense of humour, because I'm damn sure the comment was made in jest.

I wonder who complained? I bet they weren't German. Surely the Equality and Human Rights Commission was set up to protect people who really need it, not investigate some silly comment made on a ship full of Brits.

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 10:51
Buggah! good job they didn't hear what me Aunty Jenny said about em when the feckers bombed her house .:rolleyes:

Dan D'air
10th Mar 2008, 11:01
The CRE would not have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) because the Germans are not a race. To be construed as a race, you need to be from a distinct background i.e. with a clearly apparent skin colour, with identifiable and distinct physical characteristics or to be from a distinct ethnic stock. I for one cannot wait for the first muslim to claim that they have been racially discriminated against, because religious belief cannot be used to define a race either.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2008, 11:10
religious belief cannot be used to define a race either.'Interesting' debate on BBC Radio Five last night about claims by the BNP that muslims are responsible for distributing recreational (!) drugs in the UK (and as to whether the BNP were being 'racist').
Surely not . . .

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2008, 11:44
claims by the BNP that muslims are responsible for distributing recreational (!) drugs in the UK

They are quite happy to sell you all sorts of things here, and I don't remember the Taleban, etc, making sure that the poppy was wiped out....

ORAC
10th Mar 2008, 12:41
The CRE would not have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) because the Germans are not a race. To be construed as a race, you need to be from a distinct background i.e. with a clearly apparent skin colour, with identifiable and distinct physical characteristics or to be from a distinct ethnic stock. Someone best tell the Germans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_Germans)....

plinkton
10th Mar 2008, 12:51
Years ago the 'Nutters' went to the 'Nut house' or 'Loony bin' or the 'Funny Farm'.

Now they are called 'Clients' or 'those accessing Mental Health Care' and they attend a 'Mental Heath Institution'.

...that is madness gone politically correct.

Standard Noise
10th Mar 2008, 12:59
If I said the the Equality and Human Rights Commision were acting like a bunch of little Hitlers, would I get in trouble?:\

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2008, 13:11
'Mental Heath Institution'I'm surprised that the word 'Institution' is permitted in these PC times. 'Facility' is more neutral.
If I said the the Equality and Human Rights Commision were acting like a bunch of little Hitlers, would I get in trouble?Didn't Ken Livingstone get rapped because of a similar comment addressed to a Jewish reporter?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/feb/12/pressandpublishing.londonpolitics

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 13:52
Hmmm, one wonder what they call the Nit Nurse now.:rolleyes:
Or indeed the Pox Doctor.:uhoh:

rotornut
10th Mar 2008, 15:04
Germanic behaviour? That's not Germanic behaviour, this is Germanic behaviour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUi-UlsQzss

Tigs2
10th Mar 2008, 15:19
Currently 6500 miles from the assylum. Second meeting with the architect in the morning with the final plans for the 4 bedroomed house with pool. If I say yes in the morning it will be finished in ten months:D:D:}:D:D (and any other manic gestures i can think of). Now i wonder what i should say to the architect chappie in the morning?????.................................mmmmmm:confused :

No No No No No NoYES!
:ok::ok::ok:

Ozzy
10th Mar 2008, 15:22
I blame the French:E:E:E:E

Ozzy

lexxity
10th Mar 2008, 15:29
'Interesting' debate on BBC Radio Five last night about claims by the BNP that muslims are responsible for distributing recreational (!) drugs in the UK (and as to whether the BNP were being 'racist').
Surely not . . .

Re: Muslims distributing recreational drugs, amy I invite you upto the Pakistanti/Bangladeshi areas of Oldham. Drugs are delt there in broad daylight on the pavement. Not racism, fact.

matt_hooks
10th Mar 2008, 16:09
Not racism, but then hardly exclusively a problem amongst ethnic minorities either!

I'm willing to wager that the proportion of Pakistanis, Indians, Afro-carribeans and other assorted ethnic minorities that are drug dealers is similar to the proportion of white europeans that are.

Sooo, if they're drug dealers, lock them up. Don't care WHAT colour/race/religion they are!

Big Tudor
10th Mar 2008, 16:17
Not racism, fact.
Problem is lexx that facts don't always play a very big part in debates about racism.

lexxity
10th Mar 2008, 21:08
How very true that is.

Back to the subject in hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=528757&in_page_id=1770

I'm obviously phsycic (sp?)

She said Capt Wells since promoted to command the Queen Mary 2

:p

edusaeanna
10th Mar 2008, 21:34
"I reckon that kind of racist remark is illegal. Capt Wells clearly belongs to the Prince Philip school of diplomacy.

The point being? Prince Phillip is a national treasure!

How very Daily Mail a story this one is though, although at least they pointed out his German wife. Maybe they could supply those blow up air beds (but on very long strings), give them to the sun worshippers and then toss them over the side. And if they become fish food....what a shame.

hellsbrink
11th Mar 2008, 04:32
Maybe they could supply those blow up air beds (but on very long strings), give them to the sun worshippers and then toss them over the side. And if they become fish food

Going by the look of a lot of tourists, etc, I have seen it's more likely the Japanese will harpoon them

Lon More
11th Mar 2008, 09:10
Orac wrote
Someone best tell the Germans

Interesting article Orac, but in my day "Alsatian Germans" were dogs ( will this get me into problems? Especially as the german border is only 5 km. away)

"Brazilian Germans" are my favouries:)