PDA

View Full Version : How Long does it take ?

mirabeau
10th Mar 2008, 06:34
My Nephew wants to be a licenced ground engineer. He has started a course at Shoreham. He's doing well and will be applying for an apprentiship very soon.
How long does it normaly take to get to the stage when he will have a B1 licence ?
Is there any other route besides an apprentiship ?
Which companies are running apprentiships ?
What is the best approach these days ?
Any advise gratefully recieved from you younger guys who have been there.

spannersatcx
10th Mar 2008, 17:38
you have to be 21 to hold a licence, and it takes 3 to 5 years depending on training and experience.

CAA website has lots of info.

CY333
10th Mar 2008, 18:26
21 months in class plus 24 months at a 145 for an issue of lisence but you can get he cat A after 12 months

crushenator
19th Mar 2008, 07:31
i dont know how it works that well in the UK, but here in new zealand you can do a level 3 course wich is basically the introduction course, then you can do either a 3-4 year apprenticeship or alternatively do one more year to do the level 4 course which includes half of your licence and is a good way to gain an extra year or so hangar/workshop experience. its another year without being paid but you tend to have a higher starting salary, the apprenticeship salary is around NZ$20-25k and the level 4 starting salary is around NZ$40k before any overtime and nightshift work is added, plus your already halfway to your licence when you start.

fastener
19th Mar 2008, 07:46
"you have to be 21 to hold a licence, and it takes 3 to 5 years depending on training and experience."

Duff gen. Part 66.A.15 states:

"An applicant for an aircraft licence shall be at least 18 years of age"

Part 145.A.35(m) states:

"The minimum age for certifiying staff and category B1 and B2 support staff is 21 years"

Quick way through would be to enlist in an ab initio part 147 basic training course (2400 training hours of which at least half must be theory) but you would still need 2 years post course experience to get the licence issued. Another option is to carry on with the apprentiship and enroll on a distance learning course from a part 147 college. I should point out that I have no idea of the cost of the course.

boeing_eng
19th Mar 2008, 11:13
When given the choice I would recommend going the apprenticeship route every time.

Not only does it allow you to earn whilst learning but the real hands on experience is invaluable. I have worked with several licensed guys who look the ab-initio route and to be brutally honest virtually all were struggling in the real world of airliner maintenance. Having a piece of paper that says you have passed exams is one thing. However, hands on experience during training (plus the knowledge that is passed on from other more experienced engineers) is priceless.

Many airline employers still look for proof of an apprenticeship when recruiting.

spannersatcx
19th Mar 2008, 16:15
ok so you can hold a licence at 18 but can't certify with it until you reach the ripe old age of 21. :rolleyes:

BeeBopp
19th Mar 2008, 16:40
No, it looks like you can apply for a licence at 18. You will still be at least 21 before you fulfill the requiremnts to actually get the thing sent back to you. Maybe it is to get you used to waiting for future dealings with licensing.

kpd
19th Mar 2008, 18:48
Boeing you are quite clear apprenticeship means you have hands-on experience which is invaluable and I can understand that. Does it matter which company you go to in UK or Ireland?? Any experience of Air Atlanta Aero Engineering (AAAE) who are recruiting now??

boeing_eng
20th Mar 2008, 10:48
"Any experience of Air Atlanta Aero Engineering (AAAE) who are recruiting now??"

Not aware of AAAE, but an Apprenticeship with any established Airline will be an excellent start to a career in Aircraft Maintenance

Good Luck

kpd
20th Mar 2008, 19:34
Boeing thanks for reply. apparently is well-run company.