PDA

View Full Version : JAA about to adopt FAA visual requirents

andili
9th Mar 2008, 21:22
It is confirmed by the medical center in Gatwick!!

The JAA is about to adopt the FAA visual requirements when it comes to eye prescription prior laser surgery and other Eye conditions.

Found this in a forum .

As you probably know, in the USA a 1st class medical essentially doesn't required any specific uncorrected vision standard; as long as you can be corrected to 20/20, that's sufficient. Makes sense to me, since I've never flown without my glasses!
I looked into this issue about 3-4 years ago, at which time both ICAO and TC told me that they were "considering" adopting an approach similar to that of the USA. I don't know what progress has been made (things move very slowly at ICAO), but if your uncorrected vision is not up to snuff, it would be worth your while to make specific enquiries of TC's medical people rather than be deterred by what is on the Physical and Mental Requirements chart.

Has anybody heard anything similiar?

411A
9th Mar 2008, 23:40
Sooner or later, the rest of the worldwide aviation regulatory community will come around to the FAA's way of thinking...and doing.
It just makes more common sense...and the COST (to the individual pilot) is far less.

And, least the snobs with European ATPL's think that obtaining a large jet type rating with the FAA is easy...try it sometime.
You might be unpleasantly surprised.

Also, a very good friend of mine went in the hospital for a heart bypass (single bypass) a few months ago, and has been cleared by the FAA for a first class medical after...three months.
The FAA aeromedical division certainly has their collective ducks in a row.
Fine folks, I'm told.

andili
11th Mar 2008, 00:27
In about a years time The JAA will loosen up Their regulations when it come to the Visual requirements .:ok:

I had a very interessting conversation today with the medical center in Gatwick - it is confirmed !!!:D

alanmtc
11th Mar 2008, 01:05
What aboutpeople who hold a JAA class 1, and would not pass a FAA class 1.

There are some of us out there. Only 6/12 in Right eye with correction. Good enough for JAA, but not FAA - 20/20 required!

Are many pilots going to have their medicals revoked?!

TelBoy
11th Mar 2008, 13:38
Will the JAA also accept FAA Tower Light Signal pass for the colour vision standard of a JAA medical. I hope so.

Is this the last stand for the JAA FCL3 just before the EASA take over flight crew licencing??

ivierre
15th Mar 2008, 05:07
wow definitely good news...

I have the problem of Astigmatism which exceed the initial application limits. (Thats why i am considering getting my CPL in USA so that i can get the renewal standard)...so that means if the JAA really follows the FAA standard on visual requirement, then which means as long as i can have my eyesight corrected to 20/20, there will be no problem? which means no requirement about the un-corrected vision?

and can have lasik done and they will not consider the uncorrected vision anymore?

thank you very much

RavenII
15th Mar 2008, 10:05
@ Alanmtc:

Not true, you can get a soda for vision under 20/20 in one eye with the FAA. You have to do a medical flight test. (I did it and have my FAA Class1)

BTW: You got a JAA1 with 6/12 in one eye? I thought you need at least 6/9?

Hope that will help you.

alanmtc
15th Mar 2008, 14:29
My mistake - I do have 6/9 in my right eye. I wrote 6/12 as that is the FAA class 3 requirement (20/40)

A Soda?? Can you explain what this is, I have never heard of the term - is it like a deviation term?

And what do you mean with a medical flight test (would that be to show my vision is not an issue while flying?)

Cheers,

AlanMTC

Overdrive
15th Mar 2008, 16:35
A Soda?? Can you explain what this is

Have a read of this:-

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/general/appeals/soda/

Creep Feed Grinder
16th Mar 2008, 20:47
Andili,
Quote - I had a very interessting conversation today with the medical center in Gatwick - it is confirmed.

Please share more details with us. There are a lot of us + prescription pilots who'd like to hear more.

Thanks
CFG

davidd
16th Mar 2008, 22:40
I wonder if the SODA will carry for the CP4 guys, I hope so, finally puts that one to bed if it does

andili
18th Mar 2008, 12:50
The JAA will loosen up their requirements for the visual medical test.
I was searching for the past 3 years to find a way to pass the medical test .
My Eye prescription is only a minimum over the limit with 0.75 left and 0.70 on the right eye .
The Problem was my high stigmatism with -3.75 5° and -2.70 175° was just too high.
I was thinking about having Lasek surgery done but the fact that the prescription prior surgery is the one that counts made me change my mind .
This rule is different to the FAA they say as long as it can be changed with laser treatment/surgery you are airworthy and the chance that you pass the medical test is very high.
This is 1 of the changes they do.

ivierre
19th Mar 2008, 10:15
sounds nice...I am having the similar problem with Astigmatism...with the new visual requirement standard, it should prolly work for me..

Anyone knows about when is this actually going to happen?

Irishwingz
22nd Mar 2008, 17:39
If this story is correct, you would expect it to be seen in the 'Sticky' thread 'Liberalizing medical requirements'.

So far we have one member saying this is true and whilst it has been mentioned time and time again, I am reluctant to believe it....yet. This rule change would have far reaching consequences for many a wannabee stuck with long standing eyesight medical issues:8

can anyone else verify its authenticity? (before we pop the champagne!)

George Semel
27th Mar 2008, 07:41
I had a SODA {Statement of Demonstrated Ability} I never had to demonstrate anything, other than have my eye surgeon send in some paper work. I had lens implants for both eyes due to catarats. I was 36 when I started having problems and I was 40 when I had surgery. My SODA has been discontinued and I have not had anymore problems as far as medicals go. The FAA and well the US in general don't make much of a big deal about flying like you do in Europe for some odd reason. I never understood why you guys have to put up with so much BS, just to do something that most Americans so what!

Overdrive
27th Mar 2008, 16:18
That's because BS = British System.

Irishwingz
25th Apr 2008, 18:32
Thread Starter Quote:

"Yes, it is confirmed!!!
In about a years time The JAA will loosen up Their regulations when it come to the Visual requirements .
I had a very interessting conversation today with the medical center in Gatwick - it is confirmed !!!"

So Andilli, you started this thread but have left most with many unanswered questions. whats the story? who did you speak to? There is now a word about this anywhere on the CAA SRG website nor has anyone else come across your info......:hmm:

Al321
14th May 2008, 22:17
So...any concrete news on this?

Kengineer-130
19th May 2008, 06:05
And again, whats the gen? :ugh:

Al321
30th Aug 2008, 01:25
So...any concrete news on this?

Still wondering...

tigermagicjohn
30th Aug 2008, 12:37
Sorry to poor cold water on anybody here, but JAA's current visual requirements are the NEW standards. From what I was told by the CAA - these are the NEW requirements.

I know because I am in the middle of one of these problems myself.

So anybody saying JAA to FAA are spreading false hopes.

However if you get FAA class 1 medical, and FAA Commerical - and if you are outside JAA limits you might get JAA approval. Note they say this is the alternative way, but not 100% secure.

Advice from CAA medical was to write them, and wait for the reply in writing, at least you have more then a word from the medical advisor nurse by phone.