PDA

View Full Version : Supply & Demand?

Cessnaboy
31st May 2000, 07:43
Hi to you all in/from the US!

I have heard in the past that the US is fast using it's supply of qualified pilots. One Flight International issue said that airlines were worried re: supply of pilots because the inexperienced/low houred pilots and instructors were getting airline jobs faster and therefore no one left to train the next generation. Is this true? close to the truth, maybe???

If this is true, have there been any suggestions about creating extra supply of pilots. I'd be keen as to fly in the states but the immigration and work visa issues are buried sky high in red tape.

NZ has certain jobs/ trades on it's immigration list that allow people with releavant qualifications to be given a higher priority when applying for immigration due to short numbers of locally trained talent. Unfortunatly, Commercial Pilot is not one of them, as there are about 12 qualified CPL's for every Commercial position in the country.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Cheers

CB

britavia
31st May 2000, 22:38
It's the same here. Officially Commercial Pilots are not in short supply. The visa you'll be looking for is an H1b. It's not impossible to get, but generally you'll need a boss willing to sponsor you and either a Bachlors Degree w/4 years relevant work experience or if no Degree, 12 years relevant work experience.

H1a visa is the short supply (high demand) one. Best bets for employment on H1a visas right now are IT industy professionals or Intensive Care Nurses.