PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: LOW-capacity color printer

Eboy
9th Mar 2008, 20:47
Here is my problem. For my small business I have only occasional need for color printing. Maybe a few dozen pages per years a few pages at a time. Most "normal" printers are designed for a higher duty cycle and the cartridges clog or dry up in a years time. I can take files to the local copy shop where I can pay to have them printed but that is a hassle and quite time consuming.

I would like a printer that would be dependable at a small number of pages per year. Cost per page is not really an issue at the quantity I use.

Any tips appreciated.

PPRuNe Towers
9th Mar 2008, 22:19
Have a read up on dye sublimation based printers is the first suggestion off the top of my head if you need occasional printing at photo quality.

The other obvious one is colour wax based printers but they're in a different price league and pretty old fashioned. Phaser was the brand I remember from pre press work I used to do.

Middle course though: Would a colour laser not be suitable or do you need photo quality?

Finally I'm seeing colour inkjets at 18 quid in the warehouses - they're effectively disposable if it's for business.

Eboy
10th Mar 2008, 11:30
Yes, now that you mention it, I see an HP inkjet printer for US $40. I think that maybe the best route for me. As you suggest, if it breaks, buy a new one.

A color laser would work but I understand the shelf life of those more-expensive cartridges is limited to a couple of years or so.

Thank you for your comment.

green granite
10th Mar 2008, 12:33
Just print a page or two in colour every week, should be enough to keep the nozzles from clogging.

seacue
10th Mar 2008, 23:39
Is it not true that the print head is part of the cartridge in HP ink-jets? I use my color printer very little and bought an HP so that the worst I would have to do was replace the cartridge, not the printer. I had thrown away a couple of other brands because of clogging. I'll admit that HP cartridges are not cheap.

Bushfiva
11th Mar 2008, 12:41
the shelf life of those more-expensive cartridges is limited to a couple of years or so.

The problem is with the toner settling and caking. If you're happy giving the cartridge a little jiggle from time to time (as per the instructions when installing the cartridge) you'll be fine. Some cartridges stir the toner in normal use, in which case the in-machine life is way longer than the shelf life.

Keef
11th Mar 2008, 14:15
I bought a second-hand but hardly used portable printer. The ink cartridges were dried out, and the nozzles blocked. Fortunately, the print head could be removed. I gave it a bath and a rinse in isopropyl alcohol, and it's been right as rain.