PDA

View Full Version : BA Airbus Lifestyle/Roster

Mister Geezer
9th Mar 2008, 20:14
I thought there would be an abundance of info out there using the search engine but I got no where so hopefully some of you from the 'inside' may be able to help!

I am off to Braincrank in the near future for the usual assessments but if I am successful then I am probably in the minority since I will be faced with a significant drop in salary since I will be going from a Line Trainer on a medium jet back to a F/O. I have done the sums and the drop is manageable - after all I wouldn't of applied if it wasn't. However if successful then I will be commuting from Manch and I don't want to find myself in a situation where I will be left with even less money with needing to regularly pay for B&Bs etc at LHR if I am presented with a roster with lots of 'there & backs' etc. Obviously trips would work best and the longer the better but the key question is: What are the 'leftovers' that you are likely to get if you are new and join on the Airbus?

I believe I have the hours for long haul but I want to ensure that every option is covered - just in case!

Cheers :ok:

Hand Solo
9th Mar 2008, 20:37
3/4/5 day early tours, all over weekends. That and the minimum credit early there and backs nobody else wants. And reserve.

Mister Geezer
9th Mar 2008, 21:01
Thanks for that.

Is the Airbus a fleet that you can commute on when at the bottom of the list since from that post I get the impression that it is not really feasible? The long tours over weekends would be no different to what I am doing at the moment and that would work out perfect but the early there and backs that you mentioned take the shine off things a bit.

Mooney
9th Mar 2008, 21:11
Hello Mister Geezer,

How are you?!! Join easyJet :) 5 on 3 off 5 on 4 off, no nightstops.

Mister Geezer
9th Mar 2008, 21:40
I like my nightstops too much ;) - getting back every night would be a big shock to the system!!!

cloud Inspector
9th Mar 2008, 21:55
I would agree with what Hand Solo said in the first reply to your message. But don't let that put you off! Being at the bottom of the co-pilot seniority list on the Airbus and commuting from Manch are compatible. You would need to stay in the Heathrow area a few nights per month but it shouldn't be a major issue. The Hotel Ibis does a crew discount making their rate £35/night. B&Bs are cheaper still. If you can allow a few hundred pounds a month for travel and accommodation then you'll be fine. Plenty of new airbus co-pilots commute from at least as far as Manch :)

Mister Geezer
9th Mar 2008, 22:43
Many thanks! :ok:

banana head
10th Mar 2008, 02:02
since I will be going from a Line Trainer on a medium jet back to a F/O

With that background I would expect the possibility of a long haul fleet which would make commuting from Manch very easy 'Mister Geezer'. Have a look at the thread on BA 747 rostering for more info....

Link here BA 747 Rostering thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311392)

Mister Geezer
10th Mar 2008, 02:29
Thanks for that - I am just trying to cover all possibilities if I jump through all the hoops, hence the probing into life on the Airbus. However I agree that the 777 or the 744 would make life a lot easier but beggars can't be choosers!!!!

P74L
10th Mar 2008, 02:58
I understand that they are planning on around 85 DEP's onto the 747 in the near future. It's a great fleet even if you are really junior as there are really no bad trips. You will start to think that weekends only occur abroad though.

Mister Geezer
10th Mar 2008, 03:30
You will start to think that weekends only occur abroad though.

That sounds very familiar to what I do at the moment... just one weekend off in the UK this year so far so it can't be any worse than my current lot!

Pragmatic_Dragon
10th Mar 2008, 10:09
Can anyone tell me how frequent layovers are when flying short haul in BA. I couldn't find this discussed anywhere else.

I don't want to spend many nights away from home, so I'd like to compare BA to Easyjet / Ryanair for rostering stability.

Also, if you start off as a first officer flying short haul, is it possible to stay fling short haul within the company, and if so does it make promotion to Captain any harder than flying long haul?

Thanks in advance.

wiggy
10th Mar 2008, 10:15
Under the present rules, you can "stay" where you want. You bid for seat and type change annually and if you have the seniority to move fleets and/or do a Command course off you go.

Not sure about your comment about Longhaul v. Shorthaul promotion being harder? Each enviroment has it's own problems, you've just got to be able to cope with them and pass the Command course when the time comes.

As for shorthaul layovers -I'll let a shorthauler answer that...

Maude Charlee
10th Mar 2008, 10:53
Geezer.

Since when was the puff jet either medium, or a jet for that matter?

:}

Never thought I'd see you turn to the Dark Side and become another Nigel.

overstress
10th Mar 2008, 11:10
Welcome, Geezer.

The 'dark side' is actually BA management :}

sidtheesexist
10th Mar 2008, 15:33
In Feb I had 17 days at work with 9 NSs. In Mar 15 days at work with 5 NSs.
April is 13/5. As you are aware, seniority brings a greater degree of control of your roster - being junior, you'll be picking up a mixture as a previous poster suggested. When I was junior I put in a narrative bid requesting lates and tours on the blind line that would be allocated. Found that preops were generally keen to help where posssible. Tours obviously yield greater no.s of NSs if that's your preference. Hope this is of use, rgds Sid

PS Best of luck :ok:

Tarisio
10th Mar 2008, 17:22
Geezer

Don't underestimate the toll commuting from manch may take on your health. I know 2 BA guys, one longhaul the other airbus who are long term commuters and now grounded by migraine - possibly stress related. Could be coincidence but.......

Megaton
10th Mar 2008, 17:40
I'm low down the seniority list on the 'Bus and commute from Glasgow. It is no big deal and, with careful bidding, can be pretty easy. Given that the crew bus can take 45-60 mins to arrive at the aircraft side, sometimes it's easier for the commuters to walk off the aircraft into the terminal and on to their flight home.

Mister Geezer
10th Mar 2008, 22:36
Tarisio

Thanks for the warning... I have commuted for most of my flying career and in my current job I often need to position/commute to Europe on a fairly regular basis from MAN so LHR will be a breeze in comparison. I have learned to accept the fact that in many cases the first day home will result in me feeling buggered! It may seem sad but it is second nature now!

Ham Phisted

Thanks for that - reassuring to know domestic commuting can work on the Airbus fleet.

Thanks!