PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Windows

philltowns
9th Mar 2008, 18:41
Quick and simple question - the tiny little pieces of plastic inside aircraft cabin windows - are they to keep the two window layers apart? If not, what are they for?

Cheers

glhcarl
10th Mar 2008, 15:32
I don't know anything about tiny pieces of plastic, but there should be an "air gap" between the inner and outer panes. The way I have seen this gap is maintained is by use of a rubber seal. Both panes mount in the seal and then the seal and panes are installed in the window frame as an assembly.

IFixPlanes
10th Mar 2008, 18:43
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/129/windowglass8il.th.jpg (http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windowglass8il.jpg)

Put1992
10th Mar 2008, 18:49
I think he is talking about the Vent holes.

What do they specifically do?

BerksFlyer
10th Mar 2008, 20:33
I think he is talking about the Vent holes.

What do they specifically do?

Vent off air? :}

Old Fella
11th Mar 2008, 05:01
Hi Philltowns

Most cabin windows consist of three individual panes. On the inside there is usually a plastic or similar material clear pane, used to protect the inner glass pane from being scratched, for example by a diamond ring worn by a passenger. A high strength glass pane is next and then a secondary glass pane as a back up to the primary pane. Small vent holes allow equalisation of pressures. There is of course, a pull down blind built into the window surround panel to keep out light if required. Cockpit windows on the other hand are usually very thick laminate windows with a flexible laminate nearer to the outer pane. They are also, in many cases, heated to prevent frosting from impeding vision.

dkaarma
11th Mar 2008, 05:47
Cockpit windows on the other hand are usually very thick laminate windows with a flexible laminate nearer to the outer pane. They are also, in many cases, heated to prevent frosting from impeding vision.They are also heated to reduce catastrophic failure, particularity when a smaller, lighter and fluffier non tcas equipped flight smashes into them.

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Mar 2008, 06:03
Plus the cabin windows are not made of glass.:=

Old Fella
11th Mar 2008, 08:08
Sorry about the 'glass' in my previous. I should have said Plexiglas or similar synthetic material.:uhoh: