PDA

View Full Version : Can I work in the US?

jet-pilot
27th Apr 2000, 08:00
As a first officer with a few thousand hours on wide bodied jets, I wonder if any US Carrier would actually sponsor my work visa. Any info will be appreciated. (There are a number of Americans working in my country and I wonder if there are reciprocal arrangements in America.) Any chance to get into say UA for a foreigner like me? Thank you guys/gals!

Ignition Override
27th Apr 2000, 09:35
Have no idea-but have you called the airline "Human Resources" (personnel) departments?

aristotle
27th Apr 2000, 18:17
Hate to be the one to say this, but I have not been the first....

No Green Card.......No work in the United States. (I presume you intend to work legally?)

That is all it comes down to.

------------------
A tyrant is feared in life and hated in death.

britavia
28th Apr 2000, 03:09
err well, this one's been done to death just lately :-) Aristotle is pretty much correct. I'm awaiting work authorisation from the INS (should be in the next few weeks) and sending in apps to the regionals, and they won't even interview me at the moment!

RRAAMJET
2nd May 2000, 06:54
I'm a Brit working for one of the "big 3". Spoke to recruitment today - can't process you without green-card or Social Security #,
sorry.
It's a shame, 'cos they really are the best in the world to work for ( I know, I'm ex-RAF and Brit regional and major airlines...) GOOD LUCK!

Mongoose
4th May 2000, 02:20
RRAAMJET... can I just confirm, is that

Green Card OR Social #,

or Green Card AND Social #

Thanks

aristotle
4th May 2000, 03:30
Pretty much every employer in the U.S. requires a social security number. Actually, EVERY employer (legal, that is) requires an employee's SS number to be on file. Your 'green card' number, also known as the 'alien registration number,' is required on the initial government paperwork. Once the employer establishes you can legally work in the U.S., this issue (green card or U.S. citizen) often does not show up again in paperwork, but the SS number shows up everywhere.

Hope this helps.

------------------
A tyrant is feared in life and hated in death.

Bubbette
4th May 2000, 21:47
Anyone can get a social security number. It's used when for instance you open up an interest earning bank account, and it's used to report the interst to the Internal Revenue Service, whether or not you owe tax on it. If you can't work here, it's usually stamped "not valid for work purposes", but even if not, it's not proof of a work visa.

RRAAMJET
5th May 2000, 23:31
The app. will have either a bubble-dot scantron form requiring SSN or part of the title page border will have a space for it( for filing purposes ). Then there will be a question " can you legally work in USA? ", somewhere in the app.
So, yes , I should have said you need both.

Cyclic Hotline
6th May 2000, 06:22
In order to be employed in the United States, you will require proof of the legal right to work.
As part of your hire paperwork, an employer is required to complete an INS form I-9, which details the acceptable documents providing the means for identifying the individual has the legal right of employment in the US.
You will be required to present these documents to your employer to verify eligibility, prior to being hired.

Althought there are penalties levied by the INS for failure to document an employee, far worse liability might be incurred by an employer who had illegally hired an employee and got involved in either a liability lawsuit, or a Workers Compensation lawsuit.
For most employers, the risks simply are not worth taking, particularly regarding any personal injury claim that might occur.
Sponsoring work visa's is done occasionally, I know of quite a number of individuals who have obtained visa's, but without exception, these were inter-company transfers, bringing employees into the US for a variety of reasons.
Until there is an economic impact to business (and consequently taxes) the government is unlikely to make changes to the existing conditions.