PDA

View Full Version : Aviation IRC network

PyroTek
9th Mar 2008, 13:58
Hey friends,
I have had a wonderful idea, while in the shower, as of a few minutes ago (won't go into details about the shower, i promise!).

Firstly, before I embarrass myself, is there an IRC network for pilots/ATC? or is pprune the bees knees of pilot/ATC chatter?

Secondly, is the answer to the first part of the previous question is "no", how would you all like it if one was to be made? (possibly by me, in the future, possibly 2009).

and for those who have no clue what IRC is.
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, where anyone can connect to a server/network, and then join channels (users can create channels of course), and chat with eachother!
what a fun concept! (though it's been around for ages, since the early 90's).

Kind Regards
Pyro

tired-flyboy
9th Mar 2008, 14:47
Don't know of any dedicated IRC, but i suppose you could use Teamspeak (here (http://www.teamspeak.com/)) and create a link to it on this site.

just a thought

PyroTek
9th Mar 2008, 14:49
yeah, but i was more thinking i could run an IRC server, it isn't all that hard on the computer (until heaps of users are connecting) because it's text based.

tired-flyboy
9th Mar 2008, 14:55
if you own a website, you could run the above prog as an addon (utilising voice and similar to this site you could have channels for different 'threads')

There is a thought for Danny - could teamspeak be added to pprune say for the ppl thread to allow for RT practice (maybe sad but it might generate a lot of interest)

Don't know what the point of a text based IRC would be as most people surely use messenger or similar.

PyroTek
10th Mar 2008, 12:43
the thing with IRC is that you don't have to 'add' people, as such. you just join a channel and chat. its a much easier way of getting someone to converse with.

planecrazy.eu
10th Mar 2008, 19:42
There is an aviation IRC channel on IRC some place, i chatted to a Canadian 757 pilot who told me reasons B757's are better than A321's.

Its on the default server on MIRC? Not sure of the name, it was some time ago.

To practise ATC calls then couldnt one use VATSIM?

Pretty neat idea, talk to a computer atc via voice recognition, get some feedback on atc calls, however, i think PPRUNE has enough problems with servers just running a BB/Forum, the extra server costs, development costs would be a nightmare for people who have full time professional jobs.

IRC specific for an area of GA would be good. But having PPRUNE put on IRC would need the same ammount of channels as the forum has boards, otherwise, things would get confusing with what, 3000 users on average on this site.

PyroTek
10th Mar 2008, 23:39
i do hang out in the EFNet Aviation channel, but it is very very inactive.
Why don't we see how people like IRC and whoever wants should join the EFnet aviation channel.

and i wasn't necessarily saying that pprune had to 'run' the irc anyway, I volunteered to (when i have some time, etc. etc.)

planecrazy.eu
12th Mar 2008, 11:43
Well i would join in, even though 80% of things i ask on pprune are not aviation related...

I have the odd GB of space left on my hosting server, only used for email and sending files to and from work, willing to voulenteer some resources as long as they can run on a Linux Server...

PyroTek
12th Mar 2008, 11:50
mhm, i'm not sure if your host would appreciate you hosting an IRC daemon from your server (or is it a dedicated server?), but if there are other roles involved, then i could give you a shout.

I'm thinking it would be next year sometime when i'm outta school. lol