PDA

View Full Version : Calls for national Armed Forces Day

HectorusRex
9th Mar 2008, 08:47
Calls for national Armed Forces Day

By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:01am GMT 09/03/2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/09/narmyday109.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_09032008

Military chiefs, MPs and families of Britain's war dead have called on the Government to recognise the contribution made by servicemen and women with the creation of an "Armed Forces Day".
Former defence chiefs believe that such a day would allow the public to pay tribute to the Armed Forces and their families following years of sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan, where 264 servicemen and women have been killed and more than 1,000 injured.
The day would be marked by all Armed Services members, both on and off duty, being encouraged to wear uniform in public, open days held at barracks and announcements in school assemblies to make pupils aware of local troops and their service to the nation.
The campaign is being supported by Gen Lord Guthrie, the chief of the defence staff under Tony Blair, who said: "I believe an Armed Forces Day would be welcome and supported by the military. It is a marvellous idea."

In a separate development, a Ministry of Defence document obtained by this newspaper discloses that the Army is being forced to "poach" soldiers from abroad to solve a shortage of numbers.
The report shows that the Army has hundreds of "gaps" in staff posts caused by a chronic shortages of middle and junior ranking officers - major and captains - and could be forced to delay officers' retirements and promote others beyond their abilities.
The document states that the troop shortages are "inevitably causing strain and some angst within the Officer Corps, as well as some concern within the General and Central Staff". It adds that the gaps are now "serious" and will get "very serious" by June this year, when the Army could face a 22 per cent shortage of captains.
Defences sources told The Sunday Telegraph that an Armed Forces Day, which already exists in the United States, would be welcomed by senior members of the military, as well as the rank and file.
Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP for Newark and a former infantry commander, said: "An Armed Forces Day is an outstanding idea and I support it 110 per cent. I think the idea of spontaneous thanks will chime very well with the British public.
"It will reflect the sort of thing which went on in the First World War when there were national days for the wounded. Not only must troops wear their uniforms but ex-servicemen should wear their medals."
Adml Sir Henry Leach, who led the Royal Navy during the Falklands War in 1982, said: "I fully support this idea. You have to pick you battles but this is one that should be fought. I think the public would support this too."
Cdr John Muxworthy, of the UK National Defence Association, said: "The UKNDA wholeheartedly supports this initiative. It is innovative and exciting and its time has come and hopefully all members of our society will pay tribute to our Armed Forces."
Reg Keys, whose son Tom was murdered by an Iraqi mob in June 2003, said: "Actions speak louder than words. The Government keeps telling us how proud they are of our Armed Forces - now let them show it with an Armed Forces Day."
Among other ideas suggested, football clubs could offer free tickets to members of the Armed Forces and pubs and restaurants could offer free meals and drinks. People would also be encouraged to shake the hands of servicemen and women wearing uniform in public.
The Government has set up an Armed Forces National Recognition Study Team, which will consider ways of improving and building on the public's relationship and understanding of the work of the military.
The body, headed by the Labour MP Quentin Davies, is expected to recommend in a report this year that troops should be "actively encouraged" to wear uniform in public.
The call for a special day follows concern over the decision by a senior RAF officer to advise personnel based at RAF Wittering, in Cambridgeshire, not to wear their uniforms in public for fear of being abused by anti-war protesters.
The decision was triggered after a military nurse was subjected to abuse and vandalism for five months.
Gp Capt Rowena "Ro" Atherton, the RAF Wittering Station Commander, defied the calls for a rethink. She said: "The instruction I gave to my personnel not to wear uniform in Peterborough still stands, as their safety is my prime concern."
David Cameron, the Tory leader, said: "Service personnel should feel confident about wearing their uniforms in public. The overwhelming majority of the British people think what they do is extremely brave and professional and we're really proud of them."
The report on officer shortages leaked to this newspaper says: "One area of particular concern is the strain on the 'top third' [Army] officers who are constantly in demand and sometimes do not have the opportunity to recover from operational tours."
Under the heading "new ideas", the documents, dated Oct 23, 2007, suggests: "Offer posts to Commonwealth (Australia, New Zealand and possibly South Africa but not Canada who are likely to be finding manning challenges similar to our own).
"Some Commonwealth officers might welcome the opportunity to gain further experience, not least on operations."

Pontius Navigator
9th Mar 2008, 09:21
The day would be marked by all Armed Services members, both on and off duty, being encouraged to wear uniform in public, open days held at barracks and announcements in school assemblies to make pupils aware of local troops and their service to the nation.

Oh great more work.

TWANG

C130 Techie
9th Mar 2008, 10:27
Weren't they already talking about a Rememberence Day Bank Holiday?

I agree with PMA32DD, a National Armed Forces Day would mean nothing to the vast majority of the public other than another day for DIY or to sit in a traffic jam somewhere.

Televised events like the Royal Tournament did far more to raise public awareness than this idea ever will.

In Tor Wot
9th Mar 2008, 10:39
Mig 15 agreed.

So, tell me again, why was the Tournament cancelled ?

Nothing to do with cost and 'glorifying' war was it?

And who was it that was the chief proponent of saving money? :ugh:

seafuryfan
9th Mar 2008, 12:22
The problem won't be solved by the 'quick fix' of a National Armed Forces Day. Certainly, some people will feel better while leave is cancelled and tools downed so the public can gawp at uniforms on parade, but it it's a change in attitude that's needed.

Attitude change starts with education. Fat chance of that happening while a revisionist history agenda distorts the syllabus.

Mr C Hinecap
9th Mar 2008, 12:34
National Armed Forces Day would end up with us all parading around in uniform with the rest of the UK being allowed a day off to gawp at us. Another day in uniform distracted from primary tasks for a fortnight before so we can be spiffing at marching etc.

Or is the cynic in me wrong?

Riskman
9th Mar 2008, 15:02
Mr C you are right.

Yet another distraction for the masses! It smacks of the Roman Empire; when the populace got restless Ceasar would put on a spectacle and give away bread.

The Government is desperately trying to trim costs. The Defence budget is an obvious example and PR08 (08 and a half coming up?) is causing grief. But saving £2.5M by cutting Jodrell Bank's funding, or £150M by Post Office closures is the equivalent of lookng down the back of the settee for house-keeping money.

A bit of unpaid (notionally cost-free) overtime having a parade is a distraction we don't need.

RETDPI
9th Mar 2008, 16:47
A parade -followed by a cross country run?:D

Sven Sixtoo
9th Mar 2008, 18:43
How about opening all the bits of the UKLFS that we don't normally use (eg Kent, Middlesex, Surrey & Sussex), down to 100' AGL, for a bit of serious OLF practice? Throw in a full airborne BG assault on Parliament Sq with backup from the Household Cavalry in full war role ...

Oh, forgot, there's a law against demonstrations within a mile of Parliament. Wonder if Aunty Betty would give us dispensation for the afternoon?

Sven

BEagle
9th Mar 2008, 19:44
Mig15, how true.

I watched it as a kid back on grainy old 405-line Band 1 black-and-white TV and saw the last one in 1999.

It went the same way as Freedom parades, At Home days and all the other things we used to do well. Because there weren't enough people left in the Armed Services, thanks to cut after cut inflicted by governments of either hue - and which went unrptested by the yes-men at the top...

This link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/171263.stm implied that 'something' was supposed to replace the Royal Tournament. So what was it? Tony Bliar's successive come-as-you-are wars? Or did they mean that abortion 'Spirit of (mis)Adventure'?

Pontius Navigator
9th Mar 2008, 20:54
How about a huge multi-spectacular in England near a population centre and in Scotland too. Have a commercial organisation organise and sponsor it so that all the overstretched military need to do is turn up on the day?

Have an expert in public relations prepare a suitable non-controvertial script that can appeal to all races, religions, creeds and ages?

Say near London and the M4 corridor and between Glasgow and Edinburgh. How about encapsulating the spirit of the air force?:}

MarkD
9th Mar 2008, 21:16
I don't think the UK needs an Armed Forces day to dilute Remembrance Day.

I think the Queen needs to go to Peterborough - soon - and do her walkabout in uniform.

Riskman
9th Mar 2008, 21:44
I don't think the UK needs an Armed Forces day to dilute Remembrance Day

Veterans Day does that already.

endplay
9th Mar 2008, 22:30
When I read about this today I wondered if I would be a lone voice in saying "What a load of bollocks". I'm pleased to see that I'm not. I've only been out a few months and my memory hasn't faded enough to know that there is not a single serving member of the RAF of my aquaintance. (I won't presume to speak for the other Services) who wouldn't see this as a waste of time and effort. I can't be bothered to list the things that should be addressed if the GBP and the govt want to show their appreciation as I know that you're an informed audience so start there and stuff the parade.

Brian Moore's arsey comment on he F3 flypast at Murrayfield is probably a reasonably accurate barometer of current public opinion.

Chugalug2
9th Mar 2008, 23:03
If National Armed Forces Day is supposed to be the day that we all remember the debt we owe to the Services and show support and admiration for them, then I am all for it. Indeed this is such a commendable idea that I think everyday should be an Armed Forces Day! It always used to be when I was a boy. Time to revisit the old values and apply them again to this benighted age?

seanbean
10th Mar 2008, 00:51
Trust me on this one - the idea of more parades (and the associated rehearsals, inspections etc.) will go down like a lead balloon with the lads/lasses.

Maple 01
10th Mar 2008, 07:04
National Armed Forces Day? When did we become part of the Warsaw Pact?

orgASMic
10th Mar 2008, 09:28
Don't we have one already called 'Remembrance Sunday'? :ugh: