PDA

View Full Version : REX --JETSTAR progression deal

flyby
9th Mar 2008, 04:23
Before we get started this is unconfirmed at this stage.
Heard in the ether that there may be some kind of arrangement being formed in which recruits who are trained by Rex , locked in to a 5 year training bond will gain progression into Jetstar at the end of the bonded period.
Again not sure if this will actually happen but from my source it seems the Board at Rex have at least discussed this scenerio and moved in this direction. My personal view is that the Qantas group would be very reluctant to agree to this however they do seem to employ Rex pilots along with other regional airline pilots.
This sounds like another attempt by Hai almighty and his lackies to put a bandaid on a rather large festering wound.:ugh:

I seem to agree with Krusty that this last 12 - 18 months that we have tried to communicate to the management that this flood could have been at the least contained to a steady stream has fallen on rather deaf ears. It seems that there is no other wisdom than Singaporean wisdom , If any rex management read this than please , for the sake of your job and ours eat a piece of proverbial pie , because a very wise non singaporean once saidPride comes before a fall:(

captaintunedog777
9th Mar 2008, 06:14
Absolute crap. After 5 years what stops you going to any other airline and why would Jetstar accept u. You have to jump the hurdels like everybody else to gain employment in Jetstar.

There is no way REX can stem the flow unless they pay their FO's $150'000 or CAP's $250'000.

Capt Wally
9th Mar 2008, 06:26
hey 'capt 777' in this crazy world of ours anything is possible when it comes to flying!
Once upon a time there was no pilot shortage, there was no 'pay for yr endorsement(at airline lvl)', exp levels are the lowest we have ever seen for an airline job, but it's so these days.
Anything is possible!
We all know it's about money etc but the management aren'g going to cave in just yet, not whilst we have bickering amongst the troops.
Mass anything is what it takes to move mountains, not just the majority who feel that it ought to be that way, it needs to be EVERYBODY. You will never get unity across the board & the big boys know this!
"Shopfloor management" never works, we have to be smarter these days.

CW

Wizofoz
9th Mar 2008, 06:53
I also don't see how this helps REX, as it virtually guarentees their people will be leaving after five years. I take it (or at least I hope!!) that a raw Cadet would need at least three years on the line before getting a command,so, with time for training, they would be in the situation of upgrading a guy for a on year return before he went off to the land of the Orange star- and let's not start on where they're going to get training staff!!

captaintunedog777
9th Mar 2008, 09:36
What? 3 years to command. Are we a nation of morons? Come on. A raw cadet could get a command after 1500 hours with a good training system in place. Its only a Saab and pilots in Europe have been getting commands with less time on better equipment.

Parc-Ratstej
9th Mar 2008, 09:52
captain 777-I must have missed something...what hurdles did the impulse guys jump??..reminds me of an old Midnight oil song..Short Memories!

Wizofoz
9th Mar 2008, 11:15
c-dog777-

Not anywhere that I've worked. The likes of easyJet and Ryanair had 3000hr mins foir command, and I think Flybe are 2500 to command a Dash 8. 1500hrs with a 250hr Cadet in the RHS, and a foggy morning in Western NSW= big trouble in my book.

Maybe I'm just getting old...:rolleyes:

kookabat
9th Mar 2008, 11:43
I also don't see how this helps REX, as it virtually guarentees their people will be leaving after five years.

(my bolding)

Five years is a damn sight longer than the time some guys have been spending at Rex...

apache
9th Mar 2008, 18:15
1500hrs with a 250hr Cadet in the RHS, and a foggy morning in Western NSW= big trouble in my book.

hate to break it to you, Wiz, but this is EXACTLY what is happening!

except for the fact that the 1500 hr guys are having trouble passing the command training.

and not JUST fog! try CB's, Smoke haze, fatigue!!!!!!
Any curve ball thrown at an inexperienced crew may (hopefully not) lead somewhere we do not want to go!

wb727d
9th Mar 2008, 21:05
A cadet after 3 to 5 years getting a command on a saab? Not out of the question at all. But that’s only if these operators get rid of their previous low capacity RPT rule, 500 multi command before commanding anything over 5700. Something I hope they cannot change.

landof4x
10th Mar 2008, 00:58
Granted, Rex has it's fair share of problems (ie conditions need to be seriously improved in the next few months with new EBA)....

but how on earth is going from Rex to Jetstar where they expect you to pay 30k for an endorsement be considered "Progression"?

It's a step backwards. And still the s***s are lining up for jobs.... :ugh:

captaintunedog777
10th Mar 2008, 01:30
landof4x

Rex to Jetstar is not progression. Son open your eyes or r u on the Jetstar bashing bandwagon. Funny how there are a s@#$load of Ex REX in Jetstar.

As far as fog, storms, weather I have heard all this crap before. 2 years and good training no problem.

I repeat there is no deal and as if Jetstar management would agree to help REX a competitor to Q-link. Back to business school fellas or stick to flying your metro's.

wessex19
10th Mar 2008, 23:04
organising a 5 year deal with REX is like selling life insurance to a bloke on death row!!! i don't think REX will be around in 5 years

Parc-Ratstej
11th Mar 2008, 11:47
captain 777-sorry I missed your reply..could you please republish!

La La Land
11th Mar 2008, 12:00
A deal for REX pilots to progress to Jetstar is the most ridiculous concept!

5 years?!!

Jetstar need pilots now, not in 5 years. Who knows where the state of pilot recruitment will be then?

Wishful thinking posted by either;

a) Wind up merchant

b) Rex management

c) Rex cadet who has been fed a nice big plate of fresh steaming Bull ****.

:=

Condition lever
11th Mar 2008, 14:22
Lets get back to the original post

Heard in the ether that there may be some kind of arrangement being formed in which recruits who are trained by Rex , locked in to a 5 year training bond will gain progression into Jetstar at the end of the bonded period.

WTF would J* be involved arranging in progressing you to a position at the end of your bond??????

tenfouroldmate
18th Mar 2008, 10:25
and not JUST fog! try CB's, Smoke haze, fatigue!!!!!! Any time flying in Nth Australia during the wet season will improve knowledge and decision-making skills with regards to bad weather. Fog, CB's, smoke haze, fatigue -it's all in the top end.
Now days 200 hour pilots are being thrown into aircraft to get the jobs done up there. Operators have no choice. Look at a job advertised in the last two weeks for an NT operator; TT 200 Hours, time on type (C210): 2 hours. Instrument rating req'd (for the remaining C210's that are well enough maintained to be operated under IFR!) :sad:

My point being: There is going to be a sreious lack of experience coming through the ranks of GA and smaller operators like REX. It's no wonder these companies coming up with any cock-n-bull scheme to try to get and keep pilots on their "payroll".

Anyhow, 5 years working at Rex under a bond, on the current award wage, with the J* flag waving at the end of the tunnel. Let's see...!

KRUSTY 34
18th Mar 2008, 19:07
While we're on the subject of progression. 3 grade three instructors at Mangalore have been given REX seniority numbers. Apparently to provide "incentive" to stay on on. Return of service before joining REX? 5 Years!

Christ Almighty!

Kangaroo Court
18th Mar 2008, 19:16
What exactly are any of these operators to do though? Just park aircraft? Even if you paid everyone $150K, I wouldn't want to fly a Cessna 210 and nor would most of you. This could take years to figure out.

Dixondik
18th Mar 2008, 21:28
Nice. The way Rex are recruiting youngens, they'll be flying J* by the age of 18! Lucky guns.

KRUSTY 34
19th Mar 2008, 00:00
K.C.

In answer to you questions/observations.

REX do not operate C210's, so I don't know were you got that one?
Even if Captains were paid $150K and F/O's $100K, REX's crewing problems would be solved overnight. Trust me!
"What exactly are any of these operators to do though? Just park aircraft?" Exactly! They won't have choice in this matter unless they retain existing crew.

Kangaroo Court
19th Mar 2008, 00:16
A rather conceited view of the world there Krusty? I think the problems of this industry are much larger than Rex and your small fleet of aircraft. I am well aware of the workings of Rex.

Mind you, it would seem that it is being run much better than it's mainline backed competitor right now.

Kingswood
19th Mar 2008, 01:46
"Mind you, it would seem that it is being run much better than it's mainline backed competitor right now"

KC

Not really. Both are still peddling the line that no amount of money will stop crew leaving to fly jets, and both are flat wrong. Guys and Gals are leaving because of the money on a jet, not necessarily the jet itself. I suspect there is actually a limited number of crew attracted solely to the ego trip of a jet. More than enough crew will stay for money alone, to solve the Rex/Qlink crisis. Personally I could care less about fancy planes... the view out the front is the same. Show me the money and I'll be the first to help solve the crewing drama.

Krusty

Couldn't agree more! 150k to fly a 210? Where do I sign! Best flying I ever did, and if such a salary existed it would be the best paying too!

Kingswood

tenfouroldmate
19th Mar 2008, 11:38
The way Rex are recruiting youngens, they'll be flying J* by the age of 18! Lucky guns.

Tell me, how many passengers are going to want to board a flight where the combined age of the two pilots up front is barely 40 years.:bored:

La La Land
19th Mar 2008, 12:44
Tell me, how many passengers are going to want to board a flight where the combined age of the two pilots up front is barely 40 years.

Tell me, where an earth does it state the combined ages of the pilots operating the flights I have booked?

Is it printed somewhere on my boarding pass?

Thanks in advance.

La la.