PDA

View Full Version : Final C-17

Mick.B
9th Mar 2008, 00:32
From Defence News Release

AIR FORCE’S C-17 FLEET COMPLETE – ON TIME, ON BUDGET

The fourth Boeing C-17A Globemaster III has been delivered to the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), completing Australia’s fleet.

The aircraft touched down at RAAF Amberley near Ipswich last night, and will be operated by No. 36 Squadron.

“Australia’s four C-17s have been delivered on time and on budget. This success highlights the excellent cooperation between the Royal Australian Air Force, Defence Materiel Organisation, the Boeing Company and US Air Force,” Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Geoff Shepherd said.

“The first Globemaster entered RAAF service in December 2006, and these aircraft have already made a positive impact in supporting Australian Defence Force operations.”

Globemasters have supported Operation Catalyst (Iraq), Operation PNG Assist, Operation Astute (Timor-Leste), Exercise Red Flag 2007, Exercise Bersama Shield 2007 and Exercise Talisman Saber 2007.

Air Force accepted the fourth aircraft in January this year at the Boeing facility at Long Beach California. The aircraft has since been fitted with aircraft self protection equipment.

No. 36 Squadron achieved an Initial Operational Capability with the C-17A in September 2007, and is working towards more complex roles including the airdrop of personnel and cargo and high dependency aero-medical evacuation. Full Operational Capability is scheduled for end of 2011, with the completion of in-country training systems and permanent facilities for No. 36 Squadron at RAAF Amberley.

The C-17 project also includes significant upgrades to Air Movements facilities at RAAF Bases Darwin, Townsville, Edinburgh and Pearce to support C-17A operations.

The Globemaster carries up to four times the payload of the RAAF’s other combat airlift workhorse, the C-130 Hercules. It can carry more than 70 tonnes of cargo; for example, up to three Black Hawk or Sea Hawk helicopters, or a Chinook helicopter, or five Australian Light Armoured Vehicles.

Aussie
9th Mar 2008, 09:37
Well done to all involved! :ok:

Anyone got the inside word on how the crews are liking the aircraft?

aileron_69
11th Mar 2008, 02:14
Not like the Seasprite Programme eh? :E

Like This - Do That
11th Mar 2008, 03:41
How much longer is the production line open? Might it not be prudent to order 2 or 3 more while we can?

Good terms would probably be in the offing, considering the A$ - US$ rate, and Boeing's desire to keep the line open ..... 3-4 airframes at A$750 - 800 million would be a steal.

FoxtrotAlpha18
11th Mar 2008, 05:21
Good terms would probably be in the offing, considering the A$ - US$ rate, and Boeing's desire to keep the line open ..... 3-4 airframes at A$750 - 800 million would be a steal.

Agreed, but who's gunna fly em!??!

I hear that another one is on the cards, although AFHQ is apparently having a hard time convincing the new gumint!

Like This - Do That
11th Mar 2008, 05:29
Fair 'nuff '18, but it would be an easier task to find people to fly 'em than to procure some more in a hurry if they're REALLY REALLY needed.

I suppose everything now is going to be a hard sell to the new gumint, no matter what its virtues....:{

Flyingblind
11th Mar 2008, 09:08
Mmmmmmm, so the new mob dont whant to spend the money on another shiny new C-17, i guess thats fairly understandable what with all the horror stories about the up and coming Federal budget.

But how about a bit of lateral thinking to convince them to open the purse strings, say 'the RAAF will not only use them when things go nasty Minister but they will also be able to help the civilian community in times of.....i dunno say flood? or how about bush fires? you know that yearly thing that happens here and causes untold damage and destruction'?

Would not another '17 dramatically assist those that needed supply's/aid/people on the ground in a hurry anywhere in Australia?

Makes a lot of sense in my book.

PS and why we are at it why not crew and support the jet with the RAAF reserve? I'm sure theres plenty that would love to help.