PDA

View Full Version : At last: some proper judicial sentencing

John Eacott
8th Mar 2008, 23:27
London Evening Standard:

12 years jail for Thurrock drug dealer

A GRAYS man is one of five members of a drugs gang jailed for a total of 31 years.

Robert Powell, 38, of Cumberland Road, Grays, received the heaviest punishment, going down for 12 years.

Together with Shane Bennett, 36, Donald Butler, 37, and two 'runners', aged 14 and 16, they supplied heroin and crack from a council house in Islington.

Sentencing them at Snaresbrook Crown Court, Judge Tudor Owen said: "You were both no doubt tempted by the enormous profits. You are people who act out of greed with contempt for the lives that are ruined as a result of your activities."

Powell was convicted of two counts of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs of class A.
Bennett, of Ferntower Road, Islington, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs of class A and was sent down for 9 years.
Butler, of Sidnam Road, Stoke Newington, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to supply class A drugs received 7 years.

The two teenagers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs of class A.

A sixth defendant, Casanova Hunter, 20, who was arrested for dealing class A drugs, but was not part of the conspiracy, was sentenced to a total of 4 years in a young offenders' institution after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a controlled drug of class A.

OllyBeak
9th Mar 2008, 01:01
That's not what we'd call 'proper' here in Singapore.

They don't re-offend. And we don't have to pay for them to thrive and plot in chokey.

Cheers,

Ol.

Senior Pilot
9th Mar 2008, 01:34
I think that you lot may have overlooked the quote from The Judge ;)

:ok:

Ralph the Bong
9th Mar 2008, 04:09
If you have ever seen what these sort of drugs do to lives and families, then 12 years should be the Bare Minimum sentence.:cool:

I notice that 3 of the Bali 9 have successfully appealed their sentence of death, but will spend until at least 2020 in an Indonesian slammer; take 'em out and shoot them, I say! :ok:

The 2 ringleaders and a regular 'mule' are due to face the loud end of M16s soon.

Dirtbags the lot of 'em! :=

Islander Jock
9th Mar 2008, 04:21
A sixth defendant, Casanova Hunter,
If my parents had named me Casanova, I probably would have turned to drugs too.

BlueWolf
9th Mar 2008, 04:43
Not overlooked, Senior. We just didn't know he'd been promoted. Till now.

Well done, that man.

:ok:

Bronx
9th Mar 2008, 14:53
That's not what we'd call 'proper' here in Singapore.

They don't re-offend. And we don't have to pay for them to thrive and plot in chokey.Maybe if the rest of the world followed the example of Singapore we wouldn't have such a bad drugs problem.
Until then the longer the sentences on drugs dealers the better IMHO.

Alloa Akbar
9th Mar 2008, 15:00
Singapore aside, Judge Owen has at least handed down a punishment which most of us would support, given the law he works within, he has to be applauded for that, Ppruner or not.:ok:

Standard Noise
9th Mar 2008, 15:12
I just can't get over that poor b**tard's name. I'm surprised he hasn't been had up for murdering his parents for that moniker.