PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL Navigation

Pablo941
8th Mar 2008, 23:12
Does anyone have, or know a place on the net where I can see some practice examples for the Navigation PPL theory?

Seems to be one of the toughest yet!

Has anyone sat it or have any advice on what they would focus on most (besides the magic computer!)

Thanks in advance

acuba 290
9th Mar 2008, 00:41
as for PPL, just PPL Confuser and AFE "Q and A Simplifier" and you will be fine;) and in any case book from Jeremy Pratt "Met and Nav" as mean reference

HairyMum
9th Mar 2008, 09:43
I agree with Acuba, the PPL Confuser is the closest thing you can get, learn your wheel and you will be fine.

Irish_Stu
9th Mar 2008, 15:12
As said above, PPL confuser is very close to the actual exam. If you can do it, you'll be fine I reckon.

I think Nav is one of the subjects where you really have to understand the theory behind it. I don't think it's possible to do the Nav exam after only studying the confuser, you need to know all the little rules of thumb, such as "Variation West, Magnetic Best" etc. I found the Trevor Thom book pretty good, just work through the quiz at the end of each section and you should be fine.

I quite enjoyed the navigation stuff actually, found it was a lot more interesting than some of the other subjects (air law :*).

acuba 290
9th Mar 2008, 17:35
nav @ PPL level is very very easy, nothing to compare with ATPL gen nav :)

BullHughes
9th Mar 2008, 17:48
Get a few Plog sheets, get some winds off the metoffice (or make them up) and just practice filling them in using your wizzwheel and an imaginary route on your half mil chart. The exam is basically planning a VFR cross country flight it is one of the most enjoyable exams you'll sit, as long as your careful!