PDA

View Full Version : England v Scotland

rab-k
8th Mar 2008, 22:41
Yo Duckbutt, remember this?

Sorry Rab, all I see is as LITTLE red cross on a white background. :rolleyes: ;)

I said you can post it when you have actually WON something. ( [prayer mode]for pities sake let England win [/prayer mode] ).

Here's a piccy I took for you of a couple of "flaggy things"...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/Murrayfield.jpg

Not a great rugby spectacle mind'ya, but some of us did pray for rain, and I'll admit to being one of them. :E

I'll say this though, the English guys I met could teach the Scots a thing or two about being gracious in defeat. :D (Lord knows we get enough practice! :ugh:)

Beatriz Fontana
8th Mar 2008, 22:52
Did you see the fly past?

rab-k
8th Mar 2008, 22:58
Not from my vantage point, (see pic above), but certainly heard it! 'Time over target' was dead on for k-o, so well done the driver(s)! :D (Whatever you were driving :confused:).

Beatriz Fontana
8th Mar 2008, 23:06
there's a bit of a rant on the Mil Aircrew thread on an inappropriate comment made by BBC commentor Brian Moore... Apparently the fly past was late and kept everyone waiting for seven minutes.

mutt
9th Mar 2008, 04:01
kept everyone waiting for seven minutesThe flypast didnt keep everyone waiting for 7 minutes, it was a combination of the anthems etc, the pregnant pause awaiting the flypast was less than a minute.

Mutt

Track Coastal
9th Mar 2008, 06:52
So who won?? :E

BusBoy
9th Mar 2008, 09:34
don't really want to talk about it!!

Scotland well deserved victory. England dire dire dire

Firestorm
9th Mar 2008, 09:37
Great supporter of the Forces and so on, but the fly past was rather a non-event, and what did it have to do with rugby? it was something of a metaphor for the ensuing game ironically.

TheDesertFerret
9th Mar 2008, 10:44
Well deserved Scottish win.

Where on earth did that Scottish tactical nous suddenly appear from?

Why was Chris Patterson ever dropped?

And who briefed Johnny Wilkinson to kick possession to the Scottish back three (and their mighty boots) rather than finding touch?

Whilst the Scots must enjoy beating we English it must really brass you off that you only raise your game against us and insist on being crap against everybody else :}.

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 11:09
Yup, you're fully entitled to your flaggy thing this time if it helps you get over your inferiority complex over losing so many times recently. Enjoy the moment, who knows when you'll get the chance again!

The opposition was pretty poor though.

TheDesertFerret
9th Mar 2008, 11:38
Yup, you're fully entitled to your flaggy thing this time if it helps you get over your inferiority complex over losing so many times recently

I'm fully entitled to my flaggy thing as I paid for it. If you want a red rose then put your hand in your pocket Duckbutt :}.

Interesting that a Lancastrian uses the expression "inferiority complex" when they see a white rose....hmm.....I understand.

I disagree that the oppostion was poor - they played the conditions very well and were superior to our lot. Thats all that mattered.

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 11:43
I realise you are not to know Mr Ferret but I was actually born and lived a large part of my life only a couple of miles from you so I don't really give a toss about any pseudo Lancashire/Yorshire feud.

Sorry you miss the point of my exchanges with Rab but trust me you have hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Lon More
9th Mar 2008, 11:43
Duckbutt can't help it. He probably watches a videotape of a match back in 1966 every time the Engerland® football team appears

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 11:45
And what past success do you watch Mr More, none immediately spring to mind?

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 11:57
No, I have wracked my brains for about 10 minutes and searched on the web but still can't think of any past successes - Iran perhaps or that more recent close match against Holland?

As you are still online Mr More perhaps you can enlighten me.

TheDesertFerret
9th Mar 2008, 11:58
Duckbutt - sorry - wrong end of the stick though it would help if you address messages to individuals if they are indeed so.

I have to observe that there is not a single person on this thread talking rugby - merely swapping playground jingoism. Don't you feel a bit silly?

I suspect the real rugby fans are nursing hangovers and I'm too early.

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 12:08
Duckbutt - sorry - wrong end of the stick though it would help if you address messages to individuals if they are indeed so.

Perhaps it would help if you read the very first line of this thread Mr Ferrett.

I have to observe that there is not a single person on this thread talking rugby - merely swapping playground jingoism. Don't you feel a bit silly?

If that's what I was doing then I would. I don't really give much of a toss about inter country rivalries either although because of the accident of my birth location I inevitably feel a slight satisfaction when England win. Unlike Rab though, I do not feel the need to shove the national flag in everyone's face when they do win, which is the whole point of these exchanges, nothing more.

Track Coastal
9th Mar 2008, 12:30
I suspect the real rugby fans are nursing hangovers and I'm too early.
Not all mate. Remember us Pods play too. I just watched this match with a large chunk of the All Black and Wallaby sides having a run and it was a humdinger (It could be argued that I'm working on tomorrows hangover)...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/super14/crusaders-weather-force-storm/2008/03/09/1204998281697.html

Lon More
9th Mar 2008, 12:32
England v. Scotland

Duckbutt, you obviously are a very balanced individual - a large chip oneach shoulder. Where in the thread title does it mention rugby?

This gives us a chance to "rip the pish" which unfortunately doesn't happen very often:\

BTW I might appear to be on line, however it doesn't mean I'm sitting here waiting to read your every word. There are several other windows open on my PC

hellsbrink
9th Mar 2008, 12:35
I suspect the real rugby fans are nursing hangovers

Real rugby fans are strong enough to drink gallons of grog without getting hangovers....

Oh, Duckbutt, I guess the recent Euro Championship qualifiers didn't hit your radar..... Must have been bad being French or Italian then, must be a bad feeling when the Jocks beat ya...

(PS. WEMBLEY 1967!!! :E )

Richard Taylor
9th Mar 2008, 12:40
Meanwhile, in Hamilton, New Zealand.......:E

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 12:53
Duckbutt, you obviously are a very balanced individual - a large chip oneach shoulder. Where in the thread title does it mention rugby?

Nowhere, but a picture of Murrayfield in the first post kinda gives it away though doesn't it?

Oh, Duckbutt, I guess the recent Euro Championship qualifiers didn't hit your radar..... Must have been bad being French or Italian then, must be a bad feeling when the Jocks beat ya...

Fair enough, England didn't get there. Now I've looked hard but I just can't see which group Scotland are in....

Can I repeat that I don't give a stuff about nationalism, we are all Europeans. My difference of opinion is purely with Rab over his flaggy thing.

hellsbrink
9th Mar 2008, 13:05
We had France and Italy in our group, it went to the last game where we were beaten by Italy (due to some REALLY dubious ref decisions).

We had the joys of beating France twice though

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 13:17
We had France and Italy in our group, it went to the last game where we were beaten by Italy (due to some REALLY dubious ref decisions).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Twyler/crybaby.jpg

WE WUZ ROBBED!

On the other hand, England just weren't good enough to qualify.

hellsbrink
9th Mar 2008, 13:38
Wouldn't go that far, Duckbutt, if we had actually played against Georgia in our second last game instead of fluffing it and losing 2-0 we would have been thrugh.

Was still sweet beatin France in Paris though

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 13:52
Of course YOU wouldn't go that far 'brink, but there's lots of others who would.

hellsbrink
9th Mar 2008, 13:54
Wel, there were some shocking decisions in the final game. Almost had Italy though

TheDesertFerret
9th Mar 2008, 14:37
Rab - you've clearly hit the spot with this one and got a big "bite".

You can wave your Saltire in my face as much as you like.

I don't have a problem saying well played Scotland - the best team won.

That doesn't mean I'm happy about it - and I will be looking for a good stuffing of Scotland at Twickenham next year.

I have to query the credentials of the coach of a team (that is, the man in charge and ultimately responsible for success or defeat) who blames the players when they fail - as Ashton has publicly done. Good coaches don't do that.

hellsbrink
9th Mar 2008, 14:48
Methinks there are a few questions regarding Ashton after this campaign. Why was there no "Plan B", for example...

rab-k
9th Mar 2008, 19:07
Awe come on Duckbutt, where's the legendary GSOH?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/Teddy.jpg

You've only got 12 months to wait to 'wreak your rewengay'. :E

BTW, if "we are all Europeans", can I wave this http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/eu.gif next time we hump the Yanks at gowf?

ComJam
9th Mar 2008, 19:14
"We're all European", i'm not! I'm a British Subject!! :)

Great day out in Edinburgh yesterday, dranks gallons of grog as mentioned earlier...worrying lack of a hangover :}

Nice one Scotland, i'm still hoarse from screaming at the boys to "get him into touch" at the end!

Not a great spectacle but hey...we won! (Although England did suck :))

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 19:55
Awe come on Duckbutt, where's the legendary GSOH?
BTW, if "we are all Europeans", can I wave this http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/eu.gif next time we hump the Yanks at gowf?

There's no problem, Rab, as I said if you must just for once you are entitled to wave the flaggy thing, Scotland were worthy winners and there's no toys coming out of this particular pram. Just try to bear in mind how magnanimous supporters of the winners were 12 months ago after the Scottish shambles at Twickenham (To remind you no-one waved any flags or gloated at all, just politely expressed relief when you finally felt confident enough to reappear on this board on the Monday evening, as we were all concerned for you being aware of your obvious insecurities).

How do you rate our chances of humping our American cousins at gowf then (isn't that a Welsh expression)?

rab-k
9th Mar 2008, 20:54
LOL! Shucks Ducky, didn't know you cared.

Apologies for being late to join in the fray last year, but no p-c/i-net in the cottage in Falcarragh, (Co. Donegal), I was in over that fateful weekend. (The regulars in the Teach Ruairi in Baltony helped us to drown our sorrows however. Don't know what was worse the next day; the hangover or the blisters from Mt Errigal).

Don't worry about my "obvious insecurities", I was in good company on Saturday; me and a few thousand others - oh yeah, and some nice chaps from your part of the world even. Nice to be amongst like-minded souls, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...

As for "gowf", Welsh is it! Sheesh :rolleyes: ...DST (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?query=golf)

Foxy Loxy
9th Mar 2008, 21:17
Nice pic to kick off the thread rab-k. I was sat not far below you... top of the second teir or thereabouts. Caught a couple of seconds of the fly-by. Shame they didn't return for a second pass!

rab-k
9th Mar 2008, 21:26
Shame they didn't return for a second pass!

I felt the same about the Mexican Wave - at least I could see that!

Must get down to Twickers some time, even if I do have to squeeze into my kilt. (If one is likely to get a good slagging off, it might as well include the knobbly knees :})

Hope you had fun, despite the result. :ok:

Duckbutt
9th Mar 2008, 23:22
Sorry Rab, my mistake as except for on Welsh road signs I have never seen golf spelt like that before. Thought you were dyslexic as well as insecure!

rab-k
9th Mar 2008, 23:54
Apology accepted, but don't feel obliged to restrict me to being just "dyslexic as well as insecure"; open any page in a psychiatric text book and you'll find me in there somewhere. :\ (Just don't tell my employer :E)

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2008, 00:05
"It is unclear when golf was first played in Edinburgh, however, the first edict prohibiting the playing of the game was issued in 1457."

"possibly derived from the Scots word goulf (variously spelled) meaning "to strike or cuff". This word may, in turn, be derived from the Dutch word kolf, meaning "bat," or "club," and the Dutch sport of the same name."

"The game is from 14c., the word is first mentioned (along with fut-bol) in a 1457 Scot. statute on forbidden games."

woptb
11th Mar 2008, 11:15
Glad to get some idea of the outcome.Fortunately I was in a coma before the game ended.Two terrible teams engaged in possibley the most dire & dullest game of rugby I've ever seen!

Victory over Ireland on Saturday will not be enough to save Brian Ashton's job and only a performance of stunning adventure at Twickenham will rescue the England coach's 15-month reign.

Sources at the Rugby Football Union indicate the ruling body has run out of patience with England's one-dimensional rugby, the nadir of which was reached in the dismal defeat to Scotland at Murrayfield on Saturday. The RFU will begin its review of England's Six Nations campaign on Monday and should it find against Ashton, Jake White, who guided South Africa to success in the World Cup final at England's expense, would be the favourite to take over

But would he want the job?

27mm
11th Mar 2008, 12:02
Remember when rugby matches used to have Tries scored in them, unlike in today's ping-pong rugby? Am I missing something about the modern rules of Rugby that allow it to be turned into a tennis match?

woptb
11th Mar 2008, 13:52
Its tachtical don'tcha know:confused:

rab-k
11th Mar 2008, 16:21
They need to look at the points system if the game is to 'improve' from the spectator's viewpoint, e.g:

1 pt conversion
2 pt penalty
3 pt drop goal
4 pt try

Less "tachtical" benefit to forcing errors on the part of the opposition and slotting 3 points, after 3 points, after 3 points, yawn...

Looks like we might have witnessed the last England Cap for the world-record breaking 'boy with the golden boot': BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/7287287.stm)

(Sad end to a tremendous international career if it indeed turns out to be his last for England; but what a career...:D)

BellyAir
11th Mar 2008, 16:29
Rab-K - sorry fella, you're a fool.

There is nothing wrong with the scoring system as it stands, and the scoring system had nothing to do with the weak games on show at the weekend.

The game of rugby in the Northern Hemisphere has never been in ruder health. At its best, the game is breath-taking; at its worst we have England going through the motions.

I say 'in the NH' because what I have seen of the S14s so far has not impressed me in the slightest.

If you want end to end stuff, watch basketball.

groundhand
11th Mar 2008, 16:31
Last cap for JW?

Unlikely.

Granted he had a shocker on Saturday; he's not played well for most of this season but write him off? No, not yet.
Dropped to bench for next game - yes, nothing to gain from not experimenting with DC.
Will DC be the saviour? Unlikely, he's not made the grade behind a defeated scrum yet. Wait until he gets consistent cr*p ball and see how good he really is.

Front 5 did not stand up on Saturday; back row was awful; scrum half was dithering too often and JW had an absolute shocker. Despite some of the journalists I thouight Flood and Noon dod OK as they got no decent ball to play with.

It is behind the scenes that worry me more than the players - the Ashton/Wells duo is not working; that needs sorting.

Jake White and Shaun Edwards would have been the dream ticket with maybe someone like LoL to work with the pack. Don't think it will happen though.

Onwards and upwards,
GH

Track Coastal
11th Mar 2008, 16:56
The game of rugby in the Northern Hemisphere has never been in ruder health. At its best, the game is breath-taking; at its worst we have England going through the motions.

I say 'in the NH' because what I have seen of the S14s so far has not impressed me in the slightest.

Hmmm...slightly arrogant.

England Vs New Zealand
14th June - Auckland
21st June - Christchurch

Watching the 5 nations and the S14, you are going to get your backside kicked from goal to goal, touchline to touchline. 80 points to the Blacks, 18 points to England, both matches combined (Avge 40 -9, the 9 being the nominal 3 penalties).

In Auckland and Christchurch? You are going to get slaughtered.

(I'm not a Kiwi nor a Kiwi fan - a realist)

woptb
12th Mar 2008, 03:37
NZ are about due to peak,its been a while since the world cup.
They are the finest team of chokers ever to play the oval ball:E

henry crun
12th Mar 2008, 04:21
Your country winning percentage against that of the All Blacks is ?

Track Coastal
12th Mar 2008, 12:31
England have played the All Blacks 29 times for 1 draw, 6 wins and 22 losses.

6/29 x 100 = 20.69% :E

BellyAir
12th Mar 2008, 21:43
I agree.

Ashton for the chop. A less inspiring coach I cannot imagine.

I mentioned the S14s, the equivalent here would be the Heineken or poss premiership. The S14 games I have seen (about 6-7) have been just strange, and not in a good way.

England in NZ are in for a spanking at this rate.