PDA

View Full Version : oxford vs ctc

bartontrainee
8th Mar 2008, 16:08
Hi i'm thinking of doing modular airline pilot training at both oxford and ctc. e.g do the fATLP at oxford and do the CTC AQC course. Has anyone else done something along these lines. How good do you look to an airline at the end of this? also i know this option would be about £20,000 cheaper than both the oxford and ctc intergrated course.

bajadj
8th Mar 2008, 16:52
i've just completed phase one of the oxford residential groundschool and i'll give you my dubious opinion!!

on the whole the groundschool at oaa is very good. The majority but not all of the instruction is very good to excellent and the place has a very professional feel to it. On the other side of the coin, in terms of exam preparation I have gained a lot more out of the 50 quid i spent on the bristol question banks than the five grand i've spent on the groundschool itself and in my opinion the bristol q banks are an essential purchase as the oxford equivalent is nowhere near as good.

I can't comment on the flight training side of things, but i don't hear the other students who are doing the flying side complaining so it must be pretty good. Again on the flipside the waypoint route is ridiculously overpriced (at least ten thousand pounds more than comparable uk courses and over double the florida price) and when oaa tried to sell it to me their quoted instructor student ratio was 4 to 1. Although i believe it could be as bad as 7 to 1 at certain times.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that any aspect of the training is bad..quite the opposite, but i am suggesting that it is bad value and perhaps why some of the oaa groundschool intructors advise their modular students to go to aeros.

All this of course is just the opinion of a current oaa student. I have no doubt others will disagree with me.

regards.

bdj.

dhc1180
8th Mar 2008, 16:54
have you also looked at Cabair who have just started modular out of Bournemouth.

Have you also looked at the intergrated route? Bank loans are on offer....

Oxford and CTC both have thier pros and cons, I'd probably go for Oxford, as job oppournites after training look better than CTC. I think airlines look to Oxford more for zero hour pilots.... but i maybe wrong. just my thoughts...

bartontrainee
9th Mar 2008, 00:21
ok thanks i'll look into cabair

dhc1180
9th Mar 2008, 09:42
What are you doing after GCSE's - are you doing A levels? If you can, do maths and physics, then you'll be legible to apply for most sponsorship schemes. That way, most cost nightmares are solved.

Try and get yourself to one of the Cabair and Oxford seminars- look on thier website for details. Theres an exhibition on april 19th at Heathrow that is also good to go to; http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/ - there will be people there who will give you more professional awnsers face to face, and will be extremelly valuble...

bartontrainee
9th Mar 2008, 11:42
well i'm currently in lower sixth and will be doing the AS levels soon - but not physics or maths. But i plan on doing something in aviation e.g cabin crew for a few years for the money, and then applying to oxford,ctc etc...

londonmet
9th Mar 2008, 12:21
Hi,

I have just done a little seach and found this about CTC. There are quite a few on OAT hence why I haven't posted those ones.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311871

Good luck on your decision,

L Met

Wilton Shagpile
9th Mar 2008, 13:27
How about somewhere else??

You could finish your PPL, get your ATPL exams out of the way, head off to EFT in Florida and get all your stuff done over there for a lot less than OAT. I did my groundschool at Oxford (well, distance learning) and while I was impressed with most of the teaching I decided against doing the flying there. It just seemed far too expensive for what they were offering and even after I enquired, they didn't seem interested.

If you're from Manchester you'll be spending money on accommodation anyway, so you may as well go somewhere where you get (on average) better weather and spend less. You will probably be finished sooner so your accommodation bill will be a lot lower. Flights are cheap too. Plus, even though FL is a little on the flat side, is is a good place for flying training and there are loads of things to go and do if you want to take a short break from flying.

You mentioned being cabin crew for a few years. Why? You really need to get into the City or something - perhaps offshore....no idea...just get as much money as you can.

Maybe you can tap your parents for the cash? You're 16 so you've got plenty of time to pay it back!!

Night_fr8
9th Mar 2008, 20:13
There is still at least a couple of years until your question need be answered in full.
In the meanwhile get the best grades you can at AS and A levels, and talk to the guys / girls at your local flying field.
I might assume that you are associated with that waterlogged strip north of EGCC.
There are some great people there who can give advice to you.
You might try and get in touch with the guys and girls of aircraftgrouping who fly from there.
Don't loose sight of your dream.

bartontrainee
9th Mar 2008, 20:19
yeah i gues florida is place for the more advanced course. either there or arizona. OBA at florida do similar things but i'll look into EFT. thxs