PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick ATPL Questions

Greg2041
8th Mar 2008, 14:33
The first is:

What is "insinuating incapacitation"?

Second is: In the context of this question, why doesn't loss of consciousness apply? I would have thought that a person's judgment could be impaired as well.

Grateful, as ever, for your advice!

The Q&A database shows C to be the correct answer...........

Q2: Carbon monoxide in the human body can lead to:

1. loss of muscular power
2. headache
3. impaired judgement
4. pain in the joints
5. loss of consciousness

A) 1, 2, 3, 4 are correct
B) 1, 2 , 3 and 5 are correct
C) 1, 2 and 4 are correct
D) 2 and 3 are correct, 1 is false

Answer C

littco
8th Mar 2008, 14:44
Carbon monoxide can be in the body at any time, if you smoke or are in a smokey enviroment and passively breath in the smoke it will put carbon monoxide in the blood stream. However, Carbon monoxide poisioning is a different matter IE when you have too much of the stuff in the body this will lead to impared judgement possibly due to lack of oxygen. Remember Carbon monoxide sticks the the red cells better than normal oxygen and then you can suffer a form of Hypoxia. In true CAA style its in the way the question is asked IE having Carbon monoxide in the body rather than suffering monoxide poisioning.

Hope this helps

littco
8th Mar 2008, 14:52
With regards the first question

Insinuating incapacitation

I'm not entirely sure but think its something like, when you commence take off and call 80knts, if the PF does not call 'check' or respond this can insinuate incapacitation and this make the other person aware of a possiblt problem.

Greg2041
8th Mar 2008, 15:10
Many thanks. Not happy with the first question though. It asks what what CO CAN lead to, so ultimately uncounsciousness or maybe not?
Greg

matt85
9th Mar 2008, 10:56
Question 2 the answer is B i think.

EK4457
9th Mar 2008, 12:06
Agreed, Q2 answer (b).

No pain in the joints from CO poisoning, that's decompression sickness.

No trick question here, I think that the answer you have been given is not correct.

I do stand to be corrected though!

EK

Captain_djaffar
10th Mar 2008, 09:46
Question 2 definitely B

Greg2041
10th Mar 2008, 11:10
I got it right then! Thank goodness for that. I guess Q&A databases are only as good as the person inputting the data!

Greg

SILENT_BADGER
10th Mar 2008, 11:17
In the first question do they not mean Insidious incapacitation rather than insinuating? Not unusual for the JAA member states to mistranslate/mis-type things occasionally. Once the German for 'stroke' was literally translated as 'brain attack' in an HPL paper.

Obs cop
10th Mar 2008, 12:10
Gotta agree with Silent Badger,

All of the mentions I have encountered in my HPL revision relate to insidious incapacitation, so I would figure the first question has a translation or typing error.

Obs cop

Greg2041
10th Mar 2008, 12:49
Ah. That now makes much more sense!

olliew
10th Mar 2008, 13:44
Insidious incapacitation is considered to be the most dangerous form of incapacitation as it 'sneaks up on you'. If you had an explosive decompression the onset of hypoxia and accompanying incapacitation would be very obvious and therefore, hopefully something would be done about it. However if there was a slow decompression it is possible that things could go unnoticed with a resulting insidious onset of hypoxia/incapacitation and no action would be taken......
Not to be confused with another one straight from the question bank; What is the most common form of pilot incapacitation where the answer is Gastroenteritis.

Greg2041
10th Mar 2008, 14:12
That is really, really helpful. Now, how can I access the JAA exam database? Answers on a postcard................