PDA

View Full Version : United/American/Delta hiring info

TQ
6th Nov 2000, 14:41
Does anyone know anybody that has been called in lately for an interview in one of the majors ? If yes, what was their experience ?

I have over 4000 hours, mostly jet time with 1500 PIC and am still waiting to be called in. I would be interested to know where I stand.

aviator
6th Nov 2000, 20:24
Take a look at
http://members.tripod.com/plugin24/

for United hiring information

TQ
8th Nov 2000, 17:28
Thanks for the info. I actually knew this page already. Unfortunately, no info about experience of new hires.

TowerDog
9th Nov 2000, 22:11
I had a recent interview with AA and starting
class Monday.

They have a new CP. He wants to see 70% millitary guys. (I am all civ.)
Applied in Jan. 98. Got invited for interview
Spetember 2000.
Mil guys are faster, only a few months.

I have over 11,000 hours incl PIC on B-747 and bunch of other time. (43 years old)
New policy at AA also says they want only previous "captains". In other words, lots of PIC time.

Pleasant experience, no tricky questions.
Need clean record, driving and FAA.

Also talked to United in August. Did not get a job.
From when I applied untill I got an interview
was only 1 MONTH!! (UA)
They need people bad, but interview was not so pleasant. Grilling is a better word.

Good luck.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

BUSDRVR
11th Nov 2000, 12:25
Applied to UAL in JULY Got Interview invite in Late August.

3500 TT
2200 PIC
1000 Heavy Jet SIC

As for the interview, did not go, call me foolish but 10,500 is too far down the list for me.

TQ
13th Nov 2000, 12:32
Towerdog,
Thanks for your info and congratulation for the job. You have a pretty good experience, and now I am not so surprised anymore they haven't called me yet.
I have 4500 hours with 3800 hours Jet and 1500 PIC. The only problem is the following,
I have a green card but work in Europe. Since all my important flying took place in Europe, do you think it's a drawback for me and they won't consider it ?

Busdrvr,
Sorry to hear it didn't go well with UAL, but what do you mean with the 10'500 ? What is it ?
Good luck with your other application.

TowerDog
19th Nov 2000, 06:16
No, don't think it is too much of a draw-back that yer flying was in Europe.
What they want to see is recency of flying and a clean background.

Keep in mind that your competition for the top 5-6 US Majors is immense.
My new airline has 18000 applicants on file.

That being said, and with my hours and ratings, I am still surprised they hired me:
No US college degree, no space shuttle command. (2 guys in recent classes came from the space shuttle)

I first applied for this company in 1986.
Took me 14 years to get the interview and the class.

If ya are a fighter jock with the right stuff, it could take less than a year.

Anyway, happy to be there, now back for a week-end break. Pretty impressed with the organization.

Good luck.

TowerDog

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

CaptBlack
24th Nov 2000, 04:02
Try this site: http://willflyforfood.webjump.com/

Good luck.

BUSDRVR
25th Nov 2000, 05:29
TQ, I did not go to the interview, i.e. declined the offer to participate in the selection process.

As for 10,500 that is how many pilots on the seniority list there! two losing fiscal quarters problems with Mechanics and Flight attendant unions and the upcoming US Air merger put a new hire very vulnerable to being below the line if furloughs come up.

If I did not have 3+ years seniority at another Carrier I would go for sure, but I think there are better US AIrlines to go for for a more stable career.

Mick Loveland
27th Nov 2000, 22:58
You might also try the following: http://www.upas.com/ . If the company you wanted to work for isn't a member (there are 130 of them) you can check out the Job Listing Board to see if they're listed there.

ANFO
28th Nov 2000, 05:40
What is the base salary for B727 S/O, B737FO and B767 FO? What is the approx time to pick up a captaincy?