PDA

View Full Version : I WANNA BE A CROP DUSTER

MilOps
22nd Apr 2001, 18:52
I need some advice. The only form of aviation that has really appealed to me is Ag flying, however what are the prospects really like? I know where I can get the training and certification but what happens after that? Firstly I'm a brit, secondly because of my eyesight, the FAA is the only route open to me. Before I invest a lot of money in a prospective white elephant, this would be a major career change for me, would Ag operators be willing to sponsor an alien, or are their enough willing young tyros to fill cockpits and would my age(40)if I went ahead be an issue. Failing that what are the prospects for employment around the world, bearing in mind that my eyesight might cause problems.

willbav8r
26th Apr 2001, 03:19
Do you need a class 1 medical for agricultural work??

My guess is a class 2 is okay? In fact, I thought that instruction is possible with a class 2? (U.K.)

You will not find any sponsorship here in the US, and unless a green card holder, you won't get any work.

I am sure that if you can get a class 2 JAA medical, you could find work in Europe?

Or, as usually is recommended on this site, find a nice girlie here in the US and tie the knot.

TowerDog
26th Apr 2001, 06:18
Crop dusting is not the easiest field to break into. (Un, no pun intended.. :))

It is really easy to hit wires and crack up the plane. (I flew an AG-Truck that had wire-cutters on front of the canopy..)

I would think ya need a bunch of time before ya apply. Make it tail wheel time and turbine
time and round engine time etc.
A good back ground would probably be bush-pilot in Alaska.

There is some schools that will "train" ya as an Ag-pilot, but I still think high time would be an insurance requirement.

Hope this helps, althougt I never flew ag, just know some guys that did and flew the planes in other applications. (Fish-haul)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...