PDA

View Full Version : ATPL 2 quick questions.. Please

bubble0seven
7th Mar 2008, 23:18
Hi,

I have resolved to do this, aware of the negatives ( i expercienced all these when I started my deep sea diving career and am aware that greener pastures are always a different than expected shade...

My questions :

Modular vs Intergarated - is there a drastic difference in terms of employability?

What modules can you do abroad that will not impeed UK employment?

Whilst I am here and typing another question has popped into my head! If you will indulge my excitiment/over eagerness... Whats the blue print to emplolyability for a prospective Airline eg: ATPL 1000 Hours JOC type rating?

Just so I can set my target at the right height from the outset as I hope to do this without borrowing any money!

Thanks in advance for your help.

hollingworthp
8th Mar 2008, 05:51
I think if you look back you will see that your initial question is a highly contentious one here and is likely to provoke lots of heated personal and differing opinions.

Probably the best way of securing a job is to get yourself on to one of the 'tagged' / 'sponsored' schemes. Beyond that, from what I have seen, it does seem to be a case of being in the right place at the right time i.e. qualifying during a busy recruitment period which is something that simply cannot be predicted at the start of training it seems.

Lots of large FTO's will make promises of assisted placements at the end of your course but some feedback on this site suggests that at least some of the recruitment statistics are from the efforts of the individual rather than the school putting in loads of effort on your behalf to secure interviews.

Proponents of the modular route will rightly point out that the licence at the end of the course is the same as that from an integrated one and often at a fraction of the price and not necessarily taking any longer to achieve. That said, if the marketing departments are to be believed at the large FTO's, then securing your first job which is your biggest hurdle should be 'easier' with them. If that is the case then is saving 20k upfront but struggling to find a job for another 1-2 years worth it in terms of lost earnings etc.

It sounds as though finances are rightly of importance to you in your training so traditional integrated may be too costly an option. You could try looking at the CTC programme which despite involving a non-secured (but bonded) loan does appear to 'guarantee' a job at the end of the course.

If you are able to continue working while training then modular could well be right for you as it lessens the risk of a potentially lengthy delay between getting your licence and securing that all important first job.

So in conclusion - I haven't really answered your question have I? However, as everyone's situation is so individual as is their attitude to training etc, it is not really a question that can easily be answered for you by strangers on an Internet site.

Perhaps go and visit a few schools and speak to some of the students there, see what kind of organisation would suit you?

Phil.

bubble0seven
8th Mar 2008, 06:28
Thanks for your reply Bill.

I just want to add more weight to my previous post :

I have already broken into one "closed shop" industry and am now the boss, YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK....

As a commercial diver, very similar to flying in many ways, its who you know and does your face fit are you prepared to arse lick and back stab others. Everything needs a new ticket that you have to pay for. No job security unless your dad's the supervisor....After years of naysaying from everyone I met within the industry now I am all the dad's boss (mines a dentist,) so its all about character and desire thats all....

I did it, I loved it and its time to move on...I'm 30..

If I can manage to get myself into a positon in terms of the right qualifications and hours I will find a job, I dont want it handed to me or guaranteed I just want the right licence and hours to get the interview I will do the rest!

it might not be what I dream of or want but I wil get there in the end, so will any and every other "wannabe"...(Perhapse flying for air zimbabwe rather than virgin but character doesnt mean charmed!)

To my point - I am looking for pragmatic advice - I have tried not sticking my head over the parapet or run the risk of repeating everyother wannabe on here but still here is my question,

IN 2009 - if i want to work as a pilot for bizjets airlines or instructing - Whats the cheapest modular route?

PPL Night ME - ATPL Theory - fATPL - Now I have my ticket I need to build 1000 hours right, only way is instructing - NowI apply to airlines, Bizjets etc?

Just a another thought :

So I Invest £50,000 for a £17-25,000 a year job.... where was the web development course leaflet?????

whyaren'tuflyingboy
8th Mar 2008, 11:55
Hi BubbleO,

Interesting post and your other reply had good advice.

Every FTO, especially the Integrated ones want your money. It isn't a problem but it must never be forgotten. If an Integrated doesn't like you, they will do nothing for you at the end, so I'd save my money and go modular.

I would recommend initial training in the UK just to get used to airspace, radio and procedures. By all means hour build abroad, the experience is invaluable and potentially a lot cheaper than here.

As a suggested time line, I would recommend

Class One medical
PPL ground schooling
PPL flight training
some hour building
ATPL studies
remaining hour building with night and ME
CPL
IR

and these are the reasons.

1. Get the medical before you start anything. Not cheap, only available at Gatwick.

2. PPL ground schooling. Do not underestimate how important this is, and the better your training in this area, the easier things will be later. I believe somewhere near Bournemouth offers a fulltime course for this.

3. Get a PPL here. It will be cheaper abroad but you will often get what you paid for and it will haunt you later. Try the PPL at Cambridge through Marshalls. Top grade instruction and a long course- more than the CAA require however you will get about the best PPL there is.

4. Do some hour building, here or abroad and really push yourself. People squander hour building in a rush to get to CPL. Don't waste it. Keep some hour buidling to come back to though after ATPLs

5. ATPLs. Plenty of modular places that do it, take what suits you. Full time is easier than distance learning if you can afford to do that. Remember, once you finish, the clock is ticking for the exam validity and you must then pace your CPL and IR accordingly. See the CAA online LASORS guide for the validity dates (Google it)

6. Finish remaining hour building which will get you back up to speed prior to starting a CPL course. If abroad, make sure you get 5 night hours in there and perhaps you could do a ME as well, as it will be cheaper than the UK. No point doing it any earlier as it only lasts 12 months so better to do it close to the time you will use it.

7. CPL and IR. Could be done here or in a JAA country however check the CAA about this before deciding.

Historically, instructing was a common way to build hours and although the pay can be lousy, the experience can be excellent and you will learn much about flying.

If you put your mind to it, you could cover this comfortably in about 18 months, possibly sooner.

As for jobs?..........there is no right way to go about it. Hard workers however do end up with the positions they want. How long it might take is the big unknown.

Best of Luck.