PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair: New destination Basel/EuroAirport?

capt koert
22nd Aug 2001, 01:06
There are rumours that low fare airline Ryanair is in talks to establish a new Continental European destination at Basel's EuroAirport. Any news on that?

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: capt koert ]

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: capt koert ]

SkyClear
22nd Aug 2001, 01:39
Base or destination? What's the question?

capt koert
22nd Aug 2001, 01:46
Destination.

Bokkerijder
22nd Aug 2001, 19:02
Serving which cities ? Basel to Charleroi or Dublin ?

Hunter58
22nd Aug 2001, 22:30
Stanstead or Luton...

But they will fail! :( They seem to want to call Basle ZRH West, which is enough reason for anybody in the Region to give them a straight middle finger upwards. That's about like telling a proud Welshman an English Bastard (all English: ne offense meant). Too bad...

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: Hunter58 ]

Flame
25th Aug 2001, 04:43
Hunter58;

So London Gatwick is actually in London..eh..??, what about LHR..? is that in London as well.

Come on..wake up and smell the coffee..!! :cool:

BEagle
25th Aug 2001, 10:32
This is very similar to the utter joke of where-the-hell-is-Hahn being referred to by Ryanair as 'Frankfurt(Hahn)!! And the same goes for that place in Sweden.

No doubt if they fly to Finningley, they'll call it Manchester(Doncaster) or London(Doncaster)...??

Hunter58
27th Aug 2001, 11:36
Flame

If you really intend to offend someone from Basel, you tell him he's from Zurich West. If you survive it, you can consider yourself to be very lucky! Some of the regional feelings have to be considered, even by Ryanair...

blogg
27th Aug 2001, 13:38
Is this the same as Londonderry known to the locals only as "Derry" :D :cool: :D

Few Cloudy
27th Aug 2001, 13:43
They may have other problems with that name -years ago there used to be an NDB called ZUW (Zürich West) which was about 15nm west of KLO and a lot further from Basel.

Apart from that and more recently the capital Bern has referred to itself jocularly as Zürich West, as witness the name of one of the best Swiss bands (from Bern - `Casablanca sounds better than Bümplitz`)

Having said all that, the worst experience you can have as a passenger is to fly Swissair or Crossair from ZRH to MLH and listen on this 15min flight, to the endless three language announcements, each time calling Basel `Euroairport Basel Mulhause Fribourg`! Züriwest may have something to recommend it after all...

Hunter58
27th Aug 2001, 23:03
Few Cloudy

guess you should not go there then. You'd be a dead man! 'EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg' has a much nicer apeal than 'Ronald Reagan National Airport', no?

Oh, and you cannot fly to MLH form ZRH, only to BSL. That may not be any difference for you, but should you ever use MLH in an official document and you base you flight on a Swiss traffic right, god may help you as he never helped anyone before...! Or do you want to say that bi-nationality is too compex for you?

Flame
28th Aug 2001, 00:38
Hunter58;

Apologies if I offended anyone, but remember that there are many many airports worlwide that include a city name that can be 40-60 miles from where the actual airport is. Do you think that Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted are only a short hop from the centre of London, what about Charles De Gaulle for Paris

"They seem to want to call Basle ZRH West, which is enough reason for anybody in the Region to give them a straight middle finger upwards."

I must say, I was not aware that it was the airline which decided to name the airports, surely that is done by the companies / cities runing the airports..?

Regards
:confused:

Hunter58
28th Aug 2001, 21:23
Flame

no offense taken. I just wanted to remind the readership of PPRuNe, that there are some sensitive challenges in the life of airline marketeers.

Actually Ryanair seems to be the only airline that springs into my mind that names the airports as it wants to.

You're halfways right about the others. CDG is called Paris Charles de Gaulle Roissy (that's where it is). The only one that comes into my mind that is not named after it's location at all is IAD. But I guess Washington Chantilly would sound kind of stupid anyway.

But in the case of BSL it's very clear: it's the EUroAirpot Basel Mulhouse Freiburg, or in short: Basel.

Rusty A300
29th Aug 2001, 03:17
Having operated from BSL for a long time, now doing all my positioning from here and living just 5km away I somehow feel qualified to comment. It will never be anything but The EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg. Nothing, for short. No RyanName. No insults. No MLH. If, and when they do arrive here; I will STILL CHOOSE to fly with our local lads and lasses. They do a FANTASTIC job, and seldom feature in the PPRUNE network of slagging!

+TS
29th Aug 2001, 23:16
Viva LFSB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flame
29th Aug 2001, 23:20
Hunter58;

Many thanks for the reply, but methinks I might be more than halfways correct with my airport names and locations. LHR is actually about 30 miles from the city centre and airlines do not name airports, its the airport authority that is responsible for that

BTW, I could not agree with you more in relation to "there's nothing like a three-holer"

Dr. Feelgood
30th Aug 2001, 20:27
Basel rules baby !!!!

A7E Driver
30th Aug 2001, 20:41
Is it Basel or Bale? ;-)

Hunter58
3rd Sep 2001, 12:03
It is both, depending on the languague...

Flame: thanks! My preferred one has straight ducts...

Few Cloudy
3rd Sep 2001, 18:08
Hunter58,

Wow! What did I do to upset you? As a matter of fact bi-nationality is not a problem for me - being bi-national myself.

Bottom line (same as your bottom line) " Or Basel for short" whichwas my point.

As for " You should not go there then", I went dead heading on my own airline and feel entitled to criticise the PA.

aerire
4th Sep 2001, 02:06
Whatever Ryanair call their destination airports they are filling seats and making profit - I always use their service when possible - I just hate the Heathrow "hike" from & to the gates

Hunter58
4th Sep 2001, 11:59
FC

calling BSL ZRH West is very dangerous. I only wanted to make sure you understand the implications here. If you want to call it like that, be prepared to be physically attacked. Not by me, but there are some robust fans of the local football club around who would not understand any joking about the name of the airport, especially if it involves the name of the archrival...

Few Cloudy
4th Sep 2001, 12:37
But Hunter!

If you read my original post, you will see that I said they would have problems using Zürich West, together with the reasons. That was serious comment.

The last bit, about ZUW being better that Basel Fribourg Mulhause etc. etc. was supposed to be humour - what they call a "Choke" in English.

So we agree after all - and I must tailor my jokes to the audience...