PDA

View Full Version : Well done Anglia and BBC Look East

kokpit
7th Mar 2008, 18:06
I feel I have to praise both Anglia and BBC Look East for their excellent coverage of the operational honours and awards that were announced today.

Live from RAF Honington, with a number of interviews with recipients, it certainly elevates the wonderful profile of our military when perhaps others might conspire to just sully it.

Mikhail Sharpowicz
7th Mar 2008, 21:07
Aye - I second that.

Beatriz Fontana
7th Mar 2008, 22:24
:D:D

Shame the national media didn't feel fit to carry the same story....

rognjac1
8th Mar 2008, 07:06
I think, from past viewing, that BBC Anglia and Look East have always taken a very supportive stand regarding the comparatively large military presence stationed within their coverage area.

Hot Charlie
8th Mar 2008, 10:07
Good to hear of some positive coverage. The RAF's own website however really ought not to use American English though:

RAF Benson Pilot Receives Top Honor (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=88E9F05D-1143-EC82-2EA0A0955EB89C41)

lunatic
8th Mar 2008, 10:20
You would also think the MOD would know which units are in Iraq. The Merlin Det is 1419 Flt not 1429 Flt. :ugh:

Lancastrian
9th Mar 2008, 07:11
Living in the Anglia region, it is has always been paramount in the local TV coverage to give time and informative account of our armed forces. One other aspect also comes to mind, the reporters on the TV always adopt the correct expression/s linked to the news report unlike some rather inane national news deliverers. It goes without saying that we are proud of our armed forces and share in their highs and lows. I would also add if I may, the local East Anglian newspaper also does a fine job of cover of our lads and lasses who currently serve and those that have served in latter days.

JEM60
9th Mar 2008, 07:28
I also live in the East, and Look East is a delight. However, it is not without it's faults. There is a new Base Commander recently arrived at Mildenhall, a refuelling base. She is a lady, and virtually the first thing that the chief Look East reporter [NOT Stuart White] asked her was how she felt about being here in view of the fact that a Lakenheath based F.15 had killed some of our guys in theatre!! Poor lady was completely taken aback, and really didn't know what to say in reply. It was a completely crass question from someone who should have known much better. What a welcome. Don't suppose he will get invited back. My wife and I were very embarrassed that he should have asked such a question on her welcoming interview. I wonder why he didn't ask this question at Lakenheath. That would have been more relevant.!!

chappie
9th Mar 2008, 07:46
they have always been keen to help put all sides across of those touched by the military.a perfect example is my own experience back in 2006 when i was trying to get support for the petition i initiated calling for better protection on all british hercules.i had aslo attended parliment when trying to lobby the mp's to understand all the bereaved families go through and when blair was hiding in the room 5 mins down the hall. they came and filmed me and during the process were so respectful and put the piece together well. they revisited the issue of foam and the slowness of getting it fitted etc so that the story was not a flash in the pan. i have from time to time gone on local bbc radio,( always in morning :() to talk about the aforementioned issues which has helped support the cause.