PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in Florida - during April/May

Cirrus_Clouds
7th Mar 2008, 10:11
Hey all,

Trying to find a place to go too for hour building in Florida during April/May, to fly C152's, PA28's and maybe C172.

Orlando Flight Training have been really useless in replying to phone calls so far, so I can ask them some questions, they haven't even returned one call yet after 5 attempts. ....... so i'm now looking at taking the business else where.

There are two pilots planning to build around 50-60 hrs in total.
I'm looking for a/c in good condition at a cheap price and good customer service.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

Cirrus

sarbee
7th Mar 2008, 14:17
Hi there- currently Florida based but have a Baron so probably no use to you. However, will make some calls and get back to you - you might try Naples, Fort Pierce, OpaLocka and Tamiami - there are so many small fields around here that will be itching for your business right now.

What sort of time frame are you looking at - a month or longer? Do you have any idea of what sort of accommodation you want and a budget for that?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do for you!

187nj
7th Mar 2008, 14:36
Sarbee Hi,

Can you give some more info on those smaller schools that would be itching for business. I had the same problem as Cirrus, I think its because they are so busy which means they would be no good for us.

Hufty
7th Mar 2008, 14:55
Forget all these big training schools - they will be really busy with (higher margin) training and won't really care about the hour builders. You'll get an aeroplane when nobody else is using it.

Go find a smaller flying club - as sarbee says, there will be plenty of them that could really do with soe additional business and you are more likely to a) get an aeroplane and b) get a good deal.

Good luck.

BounceBounceLand
7th Mar 2008, 15:08
Not in florida, but a smashing outfit, very relaxed friendly atmosphere and reasonably priced aircraft

www.hubcityaviation.com (http://www.hubcityaviation.com)

Cessna 172N $89 / £45
Cessna 172SP $125 / £62
Cherokee 180 $99 / £50
All prices wet, more on their website

Had a great time there, and theres a FSDO at the airport if you need the license verified. You can fly from the UK to Dallas Fort Worth (impressive airport!) and grab a cheap connecting flight to Lubbock International which is in North West Texas.

If you want any more info PM me

chrisbl
7th Mar 2008, 20:38
Try Oregon, plenty of interesting flying and no sales tax. If you are going to knock out hours do it with interesting scenery.

http://www.hillsboroaviation.com/page.asp?id=200

Cirrus_Clouds
7th Mar 2008, 22:03
Many thanks all!! ...

I'd better start looking through these sites. Whilst your providing these links, have you all flown with these companies, if so, what did you think?

Cirrus :ok:

pilotshay
9th Mar 2008, 18:04
Try Kemper Aviation.....

www.flight101.com (http://www.flight101.com)
[email protected]

Capt Loop
11th Mar 2008, 07:35
I am out in Kissimmee in May, I spend 2 months a year in Florida and after using OFT a couple of times and then discovering Sunstate Aviation on the same airfield :ok:

I will NEVER EVER go back to OFT. :mad:

Sunsate have far better and newer aircraft, 172's, cheaper rates than OFT.

And probably something you dont appreciate till you use OFT but Sunstate offer quality service and were immensly helpful. I will be doing my FAA IR with them in September.

PM me for my poor experience of OFT if your interested.

Regards
Tony

Mumbai_man1986
12th Mar 2008, 05:30
Do not, I repeat DO NOT entroll at Kemper Aviation. That school's management is completely abusive, lacks the most basics customer service skills, and continuously disregards the laws of the United States. I am a former international (Indian) student of the school and wouldn't recommend Kemper to my worst enemy.

Three people lost their lives in aviation-related accidents last year. One plane went down because of engine failure. Instructors and students had been squawking problems with that plane for days before the accident and no maintenance action was taken. The plane's tail number was N-8155C in case you want to go to the NTSB website and read the investigation report, which showed that something was not right with the fuel filter. The the plane went down and an instructor + student lost their lives. I knew them both! There was also a passenger in the backseat who survived and had to undergo several surgeries to get back in shape. I didn't know that guy very well because he was a new student, however he and his wife sued Kemper (whose official name is Rohan Aviation, Inc.) and the maintenance company, also owned by Kemper, for negligence. The case is Godghate v. Day Trippin Airlines and is pending with the Palm Beach County courthouse.

They also ripped off the international students all the time. Whenever we did something wrong, they would charge us: forget to tie down a rope: $30! Hair a little too long (subject to the whim of the Indian owner): flight cancelled! Would like to pay by credit card? 2% surcharge! They had these abusive rules only for the international Indian students. American customers were treated much better because the owner knew that if he pissed them off they would sue his sorry ass.

Even one of the dipatchers told us that Kemper did a lot of illegal things. He said that there is a Florida law that makes it a crime for a business to charge credit card processing fees to customers who elect to pay by credit card. He even told me the number of the law but I don't remember it now. He was was rude sometimes and some students didn't like him, but he was honest and outspoken. He said that in a way we deserved to be treated like that by the management because we didn't do anything to sue the school or complain. Many students didn't like him but in truth he was on our side. He was right that we don't do anything to complain. We let management take advantage of us. There are a few of us that would like to set our foot down, but the majority of the international students is intimidated. My former instructor said that the dispatcher was fired but ended up filing a lawsuit against the school last month.

Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of this school. This is of course my personal opinion and you don't have to believe it, but research any school you consider attending. I wish I had researched Kemper more before I spent $40.000 on my ratings.

florida flamingo
12th Mar 2008, 07:28
Try Rexair in Naples, Florida. www.rexair.net small but friendly and family run!

A and C
12th Mar 2008, 19:47
I could not have put it beter myself!

smith
12th Mar 2008, 21:11
Quote:
Try Rexair in Naples, Florida. www.rexair.net small but friendly and family run!

Wake up people!!!
Add accommodation, travel tickets and car rental and you'd be over what you'd spend back home!

+6% FL sales tax!!!

At least the weather is better than over here, taken me 3 months to do about 12 hours in the UK, lost a fortune taking time away from work doing nothing!

worldpilot
13th Mar 2008, 19:23
I'll also recommend SunState Aviation. You don't only get a good price, but also very good and friendly service.

Even when you factor accomodation, flight, and car rental, you are still better off at the current Euro-Dollar rate.

172 cost me approx. 160 Euro / hr, wet. Sunstate is offering 50 hrs in an aircraft with G1000 for 7440 dollars. Thats good price.

50 hrs fliying in such an aircraft will cost me here in Munich, Germany, 9000 Euros (13500 Dollars). Thats approximately double.

If you want to have fun flying, Sunstate is your destination.

Have fun.

WP

Mumbai_man1986
13th Mar 2008, 19:43
Just wanted to update my post above...

Let's make it SEVEN people dead instead of three. Today another Kemper Aviation plane crashed killing four people. The tail number of the plane is N-284SP. The pilot was one of the two owners (not the Indian one), who lost his life along with three other persons. Very sad.

This school is cursed.