PDA

View Full Version : Jobs with a CPL and Class 1

vee1-rotate
7th Mar 2008, 03:21
Hey guys,

just finished my class 1 medical process, and as expected (and as I knew) I can get up to and including a CPL, which is valid in Australian airspace only, due to having a colour deficiency in my eyes. I have gone through ane exhaustive testing process, with DR John Parkes in Melbourne, multiple types of tests including the Farnsworth which I failed.

The basic idea of this thread is to gauge an idea of what I can actually do with a class 1 and CPL. Obviously todays job market it's quite lucrative, and I don't have any real desire to fly RPT (combined with the fact I wouldn't be allowed to with my medical).

What flying jobs/careers are available to me? RFDS, high end charter? Any o ther suggestions would be appreciated as I'm on the brink of making a decision that will change my life.

Cheers

bodybag
7th Mar 2008, 04:02
Don't quite give up on that medical just yet. Have you spoken to your Dr about doing a practical test at the airport. You'll go to the airport and observe the light gun up in the tower (from a place on the field somewhere). Red, Green and White are the only colours you'll need to identify and in a practical sense. Trust me, its a lot easier (at least for me) than the Ishihara and the Farnsworth Lantern test.
So while you are right, there are plenty of jobs other than RPT (in the cirrent climate), it sure would take a load off to have an unrestricted class1. Especially when your spending that much money!

vee1-rotate
7th Mar 2008, 04:06
thanks for the reply body bag...

haven't totally given up on the medical, although I have done so many tests I'm just totally over it. All tests find the same result, I just keep getting it over and over. I was made aware about the practical test by Dr Parkes, but he also said he doesn't like my chances with it. In saying that though, theres no harm giving it a try, so I will book in for one shortly.

But at the moment I'm just looking at a worse case scenario, I'm thankful I'm not totally out of the game and will be able to at least fly!

Cheers

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Mar 2008, 05:44
You'll go to the airport and observe the light gun up in the tower (from a place on the field somewhere).

It would be interesting to take a poll in here to see what proportion of pilots have ever had to recognise a light from the tower.

In my case - ONCE - in 35 years. Had a radio failure in PA18 Supercub while doing a tailwheel endorsement at Palmerston North, NZ. The guy in the tower gave me the green light to land.

The outcome would have been the same had I been colour blind - cause the I was the only aeroplane in the circuit, the runway was clear - and I was going to land anyway!

I only noticed the light from the tower cause I happened to look over that way.

Dr :8

Howard Hughes
7th Mar 2008, 05:52
It would be interesting to take a poll in here to see what proportion of pilots have ever had to recognise a light from the tower.
Never in anger in 26 years, however have seen it a couple of times during training!

What do they mean again?;)

In answer to the original question, don't see any reason why you couldn't work for the RFDS!:ok:

Hasselhof
7th Mar 2008, 06:42
I used to take my PPL students up the Darwin tower for a tour and to meet the ATC guys so they didn't feel so intimidated on the radio. Three different students over a year asked to see the light gun and each time it didn't work :ok:

Clearedtoreenter
7th Mar 2008, 08:24
Vee1, Many years ago I had the same problem. Well, actually I'm a bit worse than you because I am officially monocular (lazy eye) as well as slightly colourblind. I failed that silly lantern test too, although I have never noted seeing strange colours or seen colours different to anyone else. (Maybe eveyone else I know is colourblind too.)

Basically, for anything that needs only a CPL, I have no restrictions as long as I stay in Australia - except when I went for the commercial, when the opthamologist (who was some old Royal Navy fuddy duddy) added no helicopters and no ag work. I never bothered to fight that because I don't want to do either, but I do know of a (very good) chopper pilot who has only one eye. I'm not sure whether you could get an ATPL or not I never tried. but I do know of a 747 1st officer who wears contacts and has a slight colour deficiency. I have a CIR and fly at night, with no restrictions.

Actually, you will find the good ole CASA much more sympathetic and sensible than most, due largely to the good work of Dr Arthur Pape about 20 years ago who proved there was no basis to the colour vision retrictions that were present back then. Folk like you and me owe that guy a lot. I originally did my PPL in the UK, where they made me do the most amazing stoopid tests, even a medical flight test and extra 'training' - and then issued a PPL S/E with day only VMC. Absolutely no possiblity of ever gaining a Class 1 or CPL of any kind there!

So in this wonderful country you actually have a good opportunity to earn your living from aviation, maybe not as a 747 captain but don't give up, go for it! Congrats on the Class1!!!

ps Dont forget, there's always the RAA - as long as you still stagger into the RTA and find the eyesight machine.

Unhinged
7th Mar 2008, 09:13

All my students do it at least once in circuit training. It isn't just the colour that I want them to see, but where to look. Before the exercise, most of them think that they should look at the top of the tower where the rotating beacon is.

I've never had to do it in anger though - The day I lost all electrical power, I had a hand-held with me; and the time my radio turned into a smoke machine, I could still hear just not transmit !

lemel
8th Mar 2008, 07:37
aren't glass cockpits the norm for new light aircraft now?