PDA

View Full Version : instructing

huntsman
23rd Oct 2000, 01:32
is the CFI route still a good option with nearly a guarantee of work?
i've noticed over the last year how the wages have increased.
what are the $$$$$ and conditions like now?

FAAJAA
25th Oct 2000, 16:29
If you have a CFI, preferably with a CFII and MEI, you will get more work than you can handle. I work for a major flight school in the US, after 8 months of work my salary is 35K US PA plus the usual benefits package, and on average I fly 110 hours a month (about 85 SE/25 ME). If you are raising a family this isnt the greatest money, but hell, I'm 20 years old and it more than pays the bills. However, some schools pay 10 bucks an hour. It really depends on where you go, I suggest paying the extra bit to do your training at an academy that allows instructor graduates to stay on, the pay and conditions are usually better.

FAAJAA
25th Oct 2000, 16:37
NB: COnditions
I work 6 days/40 hours a week, which can stretch depending on the student load. I fly corporate on my time off, and while its a full schedule, i have no intention of taking a 20 thousand buck pay cut to go work for the commuters. The over 21 crowd i went through the academy with who are now flying puddle jumpers are on food stamps. If you can get a decent CFI job, with sufficent time off to get turbine/jet time, its busy, but you can get to the majors without living on welfare for a couple of years.

huntsman
26th Oct 2000, 00:51
which major schools would you recommend?

FAAJAA
26th Oct 2000, 04:55
Flightsafety International, Sierra Academy of Aeronautics, PanAm International Flight Academy, Airline training academy are all excellent. IF you already have a good knowledge base, I'd say ATP, everything is in twins, but they teach by rote. If you have any other queries feel free to email me at [email protected]