PDA

View Full Version : Clive Anderson

Ozzy
6th Mar 2008, 18:29
His sniping caught up with him when interviewing the Bee Gees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk)some years ago. You can see Barry Gibb physically holding himself back from jumping over the desk and thumping the daylights out of the little [email protected]!:D:D

Ozzy

Peter Fanelli
6th Mar 2008, 18:39
What a bunch of tossers.

tony draper
6th Mar 2008, 18:55
Never liked the bloke he's witty enough but there's sommat snidey about his wit him, never liked that other Clive either the Australian one for the same reason.
:cool:
If that's the clip where one of them pours a glass of water over him,gawd that was a long time ago

Nick Riviera
6th Mar 2008, 20:08
Actually I always thought that it was a case of Barry Gibb being precious and storming off because Anderson wasn't stroking his ego enough. There was nothing in there the slightest bit offensive and indeed Anderson mentioned on more than one occasion that he liked a lot of their music and thought their older songs were pop standards, which Barry Gibb thanked him for saying. In fact, Maurice Gibb looked very surprised when the others walked off and only appeared to leave because he felt the need to show solidarity with his brothers. I am no fan of Anderson, but in this case I think his guests, mainly Barry Gibb, were guilty of having a strop.

VFE
6th Mar 2008, 20:11
He always looked like his head had been shoved into his body... or maybe that was him just trying to suck his own head up his own arse a little more? As a stark contrast, he did a superb one-off with Peter Cook once where Cook played four original characters, all amazingly off the cuff and hilarious. Eric Daley the pop star was my fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msefRgvYfXk :}

VFE.

Wedge
6th Mar 2008, 20:48
Nice to be able to agree with you for a change Mr Riviera :)

I remember this well. Although I'd go further and describe Barry Gibb's tantrum as downright pompous.

Sailor Vee
6th Mar 2008, 20:54
Also have to agree with Mr Riviera on this, their music was good but they were not gods, as they obviously thought they were!!

Parapunter
6th Mar 2008, 21:19
Go on a chat show with Clive Anderson - what do you expect?? I think they were tossers that night.

tony draper
6th Mar 2008, 21:48
I remember watching him interview Billy Connoly once I'm supprised the big yin didn't nut the slimy short arsed fecker.
:cool:

Ozzy
7th Mar 2008, 13:32
Sorry, I think Barry Gibb was totally justified in getting up and leaving. The short ar$ed tosser was very rude to the brothers and his subsequent ass kissing was totally insincere.

Ozzy

rauxaman
7th Mar 2008, 21:20
Sits reading the paper in the window of the Butchers Arms in Cambridge... mouths f**k off at anyone who stares at him... you might want a Pprune bash to stare at himm in his local!:)

Rossian
7th Mar 2008, 21:26
Rauxaman
Who sits in a pub in Cambridge? Barry Gibb or Clive Anderson? And why is such heat being generated about some trivial incident that took place a long time ago. Over?
The Ancient Mariner
PS I only ask because I want to know.

corsair
7th Mar 2008, 21:28
Isn't this old news? 1996, last century in fact.:)

Nick Riviera
8th Mar 2008, 08:04
Bloody hell, Wedge. Has the world stopped turning? I'm sending you a subscription to the Mail while I'm on a roll.:)

rauxaman
8th Mar 2008, 13:07
>>>Rauxaman
Who sits in a pub in Cambridge? Barry Gibb or Clive Anderson?<<<

Sorry mate... Clive Anderson.

And sometimes he has that scruffy so & so from the sports quiz (where they feel the sportsman) with him... Rory someone or other.

I stay well away except to ocassionally mouth at him to "eff off too" as I walk my dog pass the window :)

Ponce!

Salusa
8th Mar 2008, 13:43
And sometimes he has that scruffy so & so from the sports quiz (where they feel the sportsman) with him... Rory someone or other.

Roty McGrath, and you are quite correct, he is also a tosser.

I did manage to get away with pi55iing on his shoes several years back though...

rauxaman
8th Mar 2008, 14:49
Couldn't you find anything better to pi55 on? :)

Flying Lawyer
8th Mar 2008, 15:39
At the Comedy Store in London 1979 (very basic in those days), I thought I recognised one of the amateur comics and spoke to him between sessions:
'This will sound like a very strange question, but are you a barrister?'
'Course I am, Tudor. How are things.'
Clive Anderson had been at the Bar only a couple of years or so then and, having been a leading light in the 'Footlights' as a student at Cambridge, he was trying to break into the entertainment business. We'd been in a short case together about a year earlier, and were again a few years later by which time his second career had begun to take off. His TV success hadn't gone to his head; still the pleasant company he'd been the first time.

Here's a picture of him as a student, when he had hair - lots of it.
http://footlights.org/images/h1974.jpg
(With Griff Rhys Jones and someone else)

Actually I always thought that it was a case of Barry Gibb being precious and storming off because Anderson wasn't stroking his ego enough. I agree.
Anderson wasn't a great chat show host, but at least he asked some interesting questions.
I realise it's a minority view, but I've never shared the adulation for Michael Parkinson as (apparently) the ultimate chat show host. I found his fawning over the guests, constantly stroking their egos, telling them how wonderful he thought they were and rarely if ever asking a probing/searching question, too nauseating to watch on most occasions.

FL

forget
8th Mar 2008, 17:24
rauxaman as I walk my dog pass the window

So how long does it take you to walk your dog from Lincolnshire to Cambridge. :confused:

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2008, 17:26
the Butchers Arms in Cambridge:confused:
Presumably Cambridgeshire?

rauxaman
8th Mar 2008, 19:23
It's a well walked dog :)
Moved down here almost two years ago.

I know which pub it is... it might be the Butchers or it might not... even I'm not so mean as to put a gentleman's boozer up on the internet! Might stroll up there tomorrow lunchtime.

PS..I cannot be bribed... I'm above all that

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2008, 20:51
“We were sitting in the Baron of Beef pub in Bridge Street ... " :E

"Anderson lives in Highbury, north London,"