PDA

View Full Version : Military discounts worth having...

rudekid
6th Mar 2008, 16:53
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/singlefares/6769.aspx

Thought this may be of interest to a few.

Anyone got any more?

noregrets
6th Mar 2008, 16:58
Forces Discounts Brochure has all the good gen.

Top tip: bring your 1250 with you when you head off for your 2 weeks in Orlando this year - it cuts a lot of ice with Americans (brothers in arms etc), great conversation starter, plus it'll get you discounts virtually everywhere! All you have to do is ask.

NB: your 1250 will get you free entry for you and your family to all the Anheuser Busch parks - SeaWorld, Busch Gardens - plus you get to stand up and take a bow at the 'Heroes Salute' bit in the Shamu Stadium!

:O

Al R
6th Mar 2008, 17:03
Ken will do anything to get his public transport numbers up. Is this the same Ken doing 'us' a favour, as the one who called IRA bombers in London, 'freedom fighters'?

C:mad:nt.

Dan D'air
6th Mar 2008, 17:18
Ken will do anything to get his public transport numbers up. Is this the same Ken doing 'us' a favour, as the one who called IRA bombers in London, 'freedom fighters'?

Red Ken is doing it to save money. Why waste money flying troops out to the 'Stan when Al Quaeda/Taliban can kill them much more cheaply here on the buses??
It saves the terrorists from running the risk of being caught ripping off your cashcard at the local garage to get the money to go and "study in a Madrassa" too.
Good Man, at least we know who our friends are, the To$$er.

Pops556
7th Mar 2008, 09:02
FFS! Don't you just love being banded together with the elderly, the infirm and the under 12's? (Oh, there may be something in that...anyone check the military TMES rates lately?:O). He's missed out students, hangers-on and the advance party from Sangatte Garrison...

teeteringhead
7th Mar 2008, 09:36
Was going to start a new thread but the question sits well here. Later this year Milady Teeters and self are visiting the States a bit off the normal tourist beat.

It's a route proven last year by the Senior Teeterette and her chap - they speak highly of it. We fly to Chicago O'Hare, then a couple of days in the Windy City then a few days by slow-ish luxury train to the West Coast via Salt Lake City, then to LA and finishing in the City by the Bay, whence we return (very good value with a strong pound :ok:)

Have done a search but can't find much other than the normal run of East Coast/Disney/Orlando stuff. Any suggestions/recommendations/discounts with the trusty F1250/MoD90 or whatever it's called now? All contributions gratefully received.

Safety_Helmut
7th Mar 2008, 10:13
Do any of the shops in the Queensgate, Peterborough, offer discounts for uniformed visitors ? :E

S_H

Irish Tempest
7th Mar 2008, 13:43
Just saved £5000 of a brand new Ford S-Max vs local forecourt price (got a free cardigan into the bargain!)... well worth it! This was loads cheaper than even buying via a UK car broker. Mind you the car was manufacturered in Espanole... as they all are now... ooh the shame. It still does not qualify as an 'import though'. This ain't tax free either.:cool:

sarsteph
7th Mar 2008, 19:38
Ford and Vauxhall both do a good Mil discount.

BMI do a discount for flights. You need to phone them to get it (not available through the internet site) but it's worth having. I bought tickets for my wife and daughter to fly to Norwich. Would have cost £464 without the discount - but with the discount was only £202 (and most of that was tax :()

Si Clik
7th Mar 2008, 20:05
What's a 1250?

Si

Runaway Gun
7th Mar 2008, 21:03
About a tenna to one.

junglyking
7th Mar 2008, 21:30
Light blue version of the S1511 you show on your way into work... ;)

Confucius
7th Mar 2008, 22:52
Have done a search but can't find much other than the normal run of East Coast/Disney/Orlando stuff. Any suggestions/recommendations/discounts with the trusty F1250/MoD90 or whatever it's called now? All contributions gratefully received.

Just ask, absobloodylutely everywhere. If the answer is no it won't be with a sneer but with a "sorry" and a look of regret. The rest of the time it'll probably be 10% to 25% off. Just don't be all British and reserved; pitch up (to wherever, cafe, shop, museum etc. but especially 'non-chain' retailers) and ask in a positive manner if they give a military discount. Even if there's no money off your sure to strike up a conversation with a friendly local who might point you to somewhere that does.

Enjoy the trip, keep off the beaten path: it's a great place to be. Rent a car whenever possible, you'll get to see much more of those fascinating and eccentric (world's largest ball of string sort of thing!) places that only America can serve up with a straight face. National parks are, mostly, To DIE FOR, and don't have railroad stations!

Clockwork Mouse
8th Mar 2008, 07:49
The Forces Discount Scheme is also available to us veterans, but we need to download a certificate of eligibility and then get it signed and stamped by a military unit. I can download the bumph OK, but can anyone advise me how I can get it suitably chopped?

TMJ
8th Mar 2008, 09:44
I'd contact the (PRO/CCO/CRO/whatever the public facing officer on stn is called this week) of your nearest stn and ask if they could help. If you smed them the form with some sort of proof of service and address (letter from the Veterans' Agency about pension or somesuch?) I imagine they'd be happy to pop down to Gen Office and get it stamped; at the very least they should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help.

Dan D'air
8th Mar 2008, 12:46
Do any of the shops in the Queensgate, Peterborough, offer discounts for uniformed visitors ?

You aren't allowed to go there in uniform anymore. It might offend the natives.

collindebe
8th Mar 2008, 16:39
Where can i download the certificate of eligibility from

Cpl Plod
8th Mar 2008, 21:49
You'll probably have to register on the site to access the link.

MOD CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY (http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/ELIGIBILITY.pdf)

Clockwork Mouse
8th Mar 2008, 23:31
Collindebe.
Cpl Plod has beaten me to it. The website is at the bottom of the form. Good luck!

14greens
9th Mar 2008, 19:53
Quite a few of the highstreet shops in Windsor do Military discount! ooh and Blacks outdoor clothing shop will give 10% if you flash a 1250 as well, neither is mentioned in the forces discount booklet

LBGR
10th Mar 2008, 12:19
Does anyone know if Alton Towers do a forces discount? I thought I read somewhere a couple of years ago that they do, but can't find any info on it now.

collindebe
10th Mar 2008, 18:09
Thanks Cpl Plod Clockwork Mouse for that info and cheers , Collin

Thelma Viaduct
12th Mar 2008, 22:55
I blagged forces discount at an indian restaurant in a place called Baldock.
Not sure if they saw it as a quick way to get rid of us. After that, we'd try it anywhere.
As Jesus once said in hebrew, "ask and you shall receive":}

Sloppy Link
13th Mar 2008, 05:44
All the food outlets in moto services (apart from the M&S) offer staff discount, about 30% I think.

Hill Walker
13th Mar 2008, 12:25
Think the Moto discount is 20% - and they all have Burger Kings...mmmm, onion rings. You can also get Thomas Cook staff discount, that one's in the brochure. I've known people to get a discount in Kwikfit but it's down to the discretion of the individual branch.

DSAA
13th Mar 2008, 12:31
LBGR:
"Does anyone know if Alton Towers do a forces discount? I thought I read somewhere a couple of years ago that they do, but can't find any info on it now."

I made a group booking with them last summer and asked for military discount - the lady on the other end of the phone was more than happy to give it to us.

Wader2
13th Mar 2008, 12:34
Newark

Chap in Newark is offering up to 25% discount if you shop in uniform. He has enlisted several other retailers too. Apparently 20% if you only show ID. He was on the regional news.

Spilsby

Lady is starting a pro-services movement.

Woodhall Spa

Dry Cleaners pushed a 10% discount on me for my cleaning as I was in uniform.

Lincoln

Shops shop at the bottom of the High Street runs 10% off against ID.

Its rolling.

Hill Walker
13th Mar 2008, 12:34
DSAA:

And the discount...?

(someone had to say it)

pba_target
13th Mar 2008, 15:03
SARsteph, any word on where the BMI discount is found? Have you got a number to ring, or did you just try the normal booking number? Is it BMIBaby domestic stuff you can get the discount off?

DSAA
13th Mar 2008, 15:29
Hill Walker

And the discount...?

Not a clue, we were more than happy with the welcoming party at the front gate...definitely didn't give us free rides for the day though.

Wader2
13th Mar 2008, 15:31
Went to a BurgerKing Monday with Mrs Wader ~ eatery of last resort. Saved an absolute fortune. Having got up at 0500 their offering put us both off and we walked out.

Didn't fancy a Kentucky Fried for breakfast and not one breakfast bar open (or even there) in the M11 service area so we settled for a couple of cold sandwichs and a half decent cup of coffee. Didn't make up for the £14 bill though :(

Zoom
14th Mar 2008, 10:26
US hotels seem to do good discounts too. I stayed in a Ramada Inn in New Orleans a while back and they halved the price when I asked if they did military discounts. Always worth a shot.

backTOfront
18th Mar 2008, 20:16
Best kept secret in the RAF/ forces

Show your ID when at a Dominoes and get 50% off. This includes pick up orders but not deliveries.

muppetofthenorth
18th Mar 2008, 20:26
Show your ID when at a Dominoes and get 50% off. This includes pick up orders but not deliveries

Deliveries should get anything between 40% off [though 25% is more common]. Just ask when ordering.

BlackadderIA
18th Mar 2008, 21:05
The Tower of London is Gratis for you and your entire party if you flash the old 1250 (although you do have to put up with several minutes of "blooming crabs" banter from a Yeoman Warder before they let you in).

geezerBJ
18th Mar 2008, 22:26
For the BMI discount - just phone up and ask for the MOD Friends and Family rate.

The Alton Towers discount I believe is just for the resort accomodation, not the actual theme park.

Most of the discounts can be found at http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/

Cheers

stickmonkeytamer
19th Mar 2008, 07:07
Show your ID card at Edinburgh Castle and get in free. Remember to be there in time for the 1 o'clock cannon blast!

SMT

TMJ
20th Mar 2008, 19:24
Rugby Scene in Carnaby St do a 10% discount on presentation of a 1250 (or whatever the new fangled version's called) and are one of the few places you can still try on a decent range of boots, now that most "sports" shops are more interested in leisure wear or fashion... They're quite friendly in there and apparantly get a good few of our Fijian comrades through the door. I dare say Soccer Scene, their sister shop immediately below also offers the discount, but I can't imagine myself ever pressing to test.

Incidentally, they're giving away free G&Ts in Victoria Station as I type; only Gordons dispensed from a premixed can, but a refreshing bonus nonetheless.

sarsteph
21st Mar 2008, 09:37
pba target:

sorry I didn't reply to your question sooner.

I rang the normal booking number and said I wanted to make a booking, and that I'd heard there was a Mil discount. They took the details of the flight I wanted and then subtracted the discount. The original price I quoted in my earlier post was the internet booking price and the discount price was what the telephone booking operator quoted.

I've got this discount twice now, both for internal UK flights. I've never tried on foreign trips as the only foreign travel I've done recently have hot & sandy or cold & windy on ops.

As to your BMI Baby question - I honestly can't remember! (Old age) But there's no harm in phoning up and asking; you lose nothing if they say no and gain a great discount if they say yes!! ;)

Oops - just noticed someone else got there before me :O

struggle
12th Oct 2008, 14:39
Recently I tried obtaining a discount at Domino's. On showing the 1250, in both Hampshire and East Anglia, I was subsequently told that discounts were only available to members of the Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance Services.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Struggle

HookerOne
12th Oct 2008, 15:37
Worked ok in Alton, although the manager of the day wasn't happy about it.

BlackadderIA
12th Oct 2008, 16:18
Anyone planning a credit-crunch busting trip to Scarborough? If so, they now have a town-wide "heroes welcome" scheme. A heroes-welcome sticker in the window means that establishment is part of the scheme and offers forces-discount.

Hard to find a business not involved - I even managed 20% off a tray of chips!

clicky for details (http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/heroes-welcome/The-big-list-of-retailers.4166054.jp)

Clockwork Mouse
13th Oct 2008, 06:59
Being long retired I no longer have an ID card. The Forces Discount website encourages veterans to sign up for the scheme as the greater the numbers, the greater the corporate buying power. I have downloaded a Certificate of Eligibility. My problem now, living in the North Yorkshire sticks, is how to get it officially sponsored, signed and stamped.
Any polite and helpful suggestions?

pba_target
13th Oct 2008, 07:28
Just an aside, the Europcar discount mentioned on the forces discount website is pretty good. Wouldn't really bother at looking to hire a car through anyone else in the UK now! Cost me 50 quid to hire a high spec golf for the weekend (3 days), including one way hire. If you book using the forces personal hire site the one way hire charge is a fixed tenner for anywhere in the country, much cheaper for the most part than the mileage based charges most of the others come out with!

ps I'll report back on their customer service as there was a bit of a tiff between me, and woman driver with a horse box and a particularly nasty hedge!

It's Not Working
13th Oct 2008, 08:49
PBA

You don’t stand a chance.

Horsebox drivers are a law unto themselves. Get them from behind the wheel and into the saddle however and they are politeness personified, strange one that.

Grabbers
13th Oct 2008, 09:11
Mmmmm, Jodphurs......

pba_target
13th Oct 2008, 09:33
Believe me Grabbers, you would not have wanted to see this lady wearing those... unless you like that kind of thing of course! It was a classic "Oooh my daughter has a pony" type, not the born&bred country type which I have no problem with at all (a) being from deepest darkest countrysideshire and (B) most of them can actually drive something bigger than a fiat 500!

5 Forward 6 Back
13th Oct 2008, 11:38
The Panasonic one on the forcesdiscount-mod website is definitely worth investigating. Looking for a new TV, and when I punched the code in after being offered a price of £935 including delivery, it plummeted to £709. That's for a 42" Viera LCD.

bayete
7th Aug 2009, 11:32
Just found out today that BA are no longer doing Military discounts.
Anyone heard differently?

FFP
7th Aug 2009, 13:16
I never found the BA discounts to be competetive anyway. The "discount" was off a full fare, which the internet price was usually less than anyways ! Same with Virgin.

bayete
7th Aug 2009, 14:12
Yes true, the brochure price is never worth going for + any discount because these days it is more likely that on the web you will get a better price.

I have been quoted MOD/Mil discount rate that is more expensive than the normal rate with no discounts several times before.

Out of interest today to Cape Town direct early next year for 1mth:
BA online = £630ish
VirginAtlantic = £750ish
Virginholidays with mil discount= £1500+(975 1 mths car hire):ugh:
Trailfinders = £780ish with 1 mths car hire with Virgin!:ok:

It is just disappointing that the National Carrier sees fit not to bother supporting the forces anymore.
or
Is Virgin now considered the National Carrier?

Bunker Mentality
7th Aug 2009, 14:20
North by North East in Alnwick will give a 10% discount on production of a F1250/MOD90

Charlie Time
7th Aug 2009, 14:32
Why would anyone choose to fly with BA anyway?

Jumping_Jack
7th Aug 2009, 15:37
Just got a Traser watch from Graham Green at H3 Watches with traser technology, UK sales and service centre (http://www.h3-watches.co.uk). Had it sent to me from UK provided tax free and with a Military discount...reduced the cost from 340 quid to 245 quid. You deal with the owner of the site, I had email corresponance with him, very good responsive service! :ok:

vecvechookattack
7th Aug 2009, 15:56
Is Virgin now considered the National Carrier?

I'm not sure who the national airline is but the biggest Airline in the UK is Squeezy Jet

bowly
7th Aug 2009, 16:28
Staying in touch with your ex-forces buddies, who now fly for BA, would prove that you can get quite considerable discounts. Not an excuse for BA, but true all the same.

14greens
7th Aug 2009, 21:37
Vue cinemas!!! will do concession tickets on a 1250
well they do in cribbs at Bristol

Anyone round the Lyneham area, Bathwick tyres in chipp will do discount its only 10% but better than nothing tho

Sadly hardest one to blag is the tower of london! used to be piece of cake, go and see one of the beefeater tyeps in in you got, have to pick the right one otherwise they send you away to the ticket office pah!!

did not know about the oyster card thing tho, will look in to that

Brewers Droop
16th Aug 2009, 21:19
I went on a local railway branch line "up north" with the family. Being a village stop you can pay on the train. Imagine my surprise when the Rail Guard, on seeing our Forces Rail Cards, waived the ticket price completely. Said that he had alot of respect for what we did and thought it was the least he could do, even though it wasn't company policy. Also said the wife was the bravest of all (the children were running riot at the time!). His comments about politicians was less than pc though!

It was a very small amount but the smile it has put on me and the wife was, to borrow an advert "priceless". :)

Ironic in that I'd renewed our Rail Cards last week (£15 each I think which I remember being free :()

Pete268
16th Aug 2009, 23:41
For those injured whilst serving and who receive a War Pension, you can now obtain a free War Pensioners Status Card which certifies the holder to be a War Disablement Pensioner. The status card is very handy for obtaining the various military discounts etc. It also gives free admission or reduced price admission into various museums in London. To obtain one, ring the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency on freephone 0800 169 2277.

Also one often forgotten benefit for any War Pensioners who receive an ongoing War Pension (ie 20% and above) or a GIP under the new fangled Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or War Widows/Widowers is the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme in London. It gives the holder a photo Oystercard card valid at all times for free travel on the tube, busses, Croydon Tramlink, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground trains. Also gives off peak free travel on a lot of 'normal' trains in the London area and discounts on cruises in the River Thames.

The Card is free, details here:

Veterans scheme | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/8734.aspx)

Peter

Cornerstone958
17th Aug 2009, 09:33
Thanks for the info re: travel in London. Application form now on it's way
CS

Mackay
17th Aug 2009, 09:38
Does anyone know why the Armed Forces Rail Card isn't available to reservists?

There must be some reason, but :confused:

Wader2
17th Aug 2009, 10:38
Does anyone know why the Armed Forces Rail Card isn't available to reservists?

There must be some reason, but :confused:

They are but:

Reserve Forces personnel during periods of full time service of at least 3 months.
Commissioned Officers of the RAF Reserve carrying out full time duties in uniform in peacetime

Most reservists will not be full time. This means you might use this Forces concession to fund business, as opposed to personal, rail travel.

and looking at your profile Mackay,

1. All members of the Regular forces (including university, medical and dental cadets) wherever they are stationed.

It would appear that you might be able to win the case if you are a university cadet.

Mackay
17th Aug 2009, 10:52
Thanks for the info,

Unfortunately I'm not a University Cadet, could well be worth an email though. Who knows :ok:

grimfixer
18th Aug 2009, 12:41
Can't speak highly enough for the Oyster card deal. Applied for it earlier this year and used it for a family break, saved bucket loads.

Just got back from a States trip where flashing the plastic was also very useful, fortunately not the plastic Mrs GF is used to...

As Noregrets previously stated, Sea World, Busch Gardens free entry. Universal will reduce fees on entry. Unfortunately no recognition with Disney, seemed to be a US military focus only.

Stepping aside from the financial aspects - it was actually quite humbling to see the approach to the military effort. The punchy Here's to heroes DVD prior to the Shamu Seaworld show and the subsequent applause for the military had gave my wife a real onion cutting moment.

It's good to see we are moving in the right direction.

Uncle Fred
18th Aug 2009, 12:56
I would heartily second what Conficius said. As one still in the U.S. military reserves, I know from experience that you merely need to ask whilst here visiting in the States. It is not considered "forward" or cheeky but merely something that the resteraunt/fun park/retailer etc. might not have posted. Even places like New York city (that you would think is far from a military base) offer a lot in this regard.

If they pause as they consider that you are non-U.S. military, I would recommend that you simply mention what forces you are serving with. For example even the most head-in-the-sand of my American countrymen now knows of the sacrifices that the British cousins are making in Afghanistan at the moment so a lot of these merchant discounts will be afforded to you as well. I can guarantee you that no one, and I mean no one, will look sideways at you if you pose a polite query regarding a mil discount.

The list in the U.S. can be almost endless. Amtrack for train travel in the Northeast U.S, amusement parks, mobile phones etc. Give it a try. It can be no worse than when I ask if we can take the quick route to the hotel after landing in LHR!

Wader2
18th Aug 2009, 13:08
I was offered 10% and we struck the deal. Then he said, "no, make it 15"

I_stood_in_the_door
19th Aug 2009, 11:19
I have probably missed it somewhere else on this thread but does anyone have anymore gen on the Oyter Card deal?

Many thanks!

LFOGOOTFW:
:8

Wader2
19th Aug 2009, 11:48
ISITD, post 60 above - Veterans Scheme - but you must be in receipt of a war pension.

knocker88
19th Aug 2009, 12:32
Apple give 8 percent of anything - just show your ID.
Vue cinemas also give discount.
Virgin Atlantic also give 10 percent.

JPA however gives you nothing but headaches!!!!

Professor Plum
19th Aug 2009, 16:30
JPA however gives you nothing but headaches!!!!

JPA also gives a discount on my wages. I'm usually around 10% down on what I should get paid come pay day.

bayete
11th Oct 2009, 14:24
Richmond Rugby club allow HM Forces into their games for free. Normally £10.
I found it to be a reasonable standard of play, nice ground with free seating in the grandstand and free parking. Good cheap, chicken/sausage/burger and chips, and Stella on tap:ok: at a decent price.
Tell the missus she can do a bit shopping in Richmond, load up a rucksac with some tinnys and head for the game.

Richmond FC (http://www.richmondfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

Edited to add, Virgin Atlantic don't give 10%, Virginholidays however do.

Manuel de Vol
11th Oct 2009, 17:55
I agree with Uncle Fred. - I'm surprised at the reception you received from Disney, Grimfixer. I've encountered a number of British Servicemen in the US and none of them seemed to have any difficulty in getting those military discounts which were offered to US military personnel.

I retired from the RAF 20-odd years ago. When I did, I handed in my 1250, received a letter thanking me for my service and a pension. - I understand that nowadays, you hand in your 1250, get the letter and a promise of a pension to be paid at some later date ... If the government hasn't spent it.

I had no retiree ID card, I was no longer eligible to use that excellent hotel chain (The Mess), I could no longer receive health and dental care from RAF Stations or hospitals (other than through the NHS provision afforded by the latter), I could no longer fly on an indulgence flight, and I could no longer shop at NAAFI (.... the last wasn't a great loss.;) )

My wife retired from the USAF about 5 years later. She got a pension (a more generous percentage of her basic pay than mine) and we both got retiree ID cards. We can stay in on-base accommodation (space available), we can shop at the BX and at the Commissary, we receive free Health and Dental care (space available) at Military installations worldwide and in the event that I go to a civilian doctor, 'free' (well, affordable) health insurance which pays 75% of the allowable costs. We can also 'hop' (again, space available) on US military aircraft ... though I can't do that on my own.

The United States Air Force has an Air Force Association. The Royal Air Force has RAFA. When I was in the RAF, serving members were encouraged to join RAFA - though the take-up wasn't that great.

The Americans also have the MOAA (http://www.moaa.org/) - Military Officers' Association of America -'One Powerful Voice' which is open to both serving and retired members of all services. We are members of both - and have been for a long time.

MOAA does indeed have a powerful voice; it's a very influential political lobby and works on behalf of both serving and retired personnel.

The UK has SSAFA, which although it provides invaluable assistance to servicemen, isn't comparable with MOAA.

American Servicemen aren't political activists; indeed, like their British Counterparts, their 'political activities' are somewhat limited. They are allowed (and encouraged) to become members of MOAA which can - and does - lobby on their behalf.

I can't help wondering whether British forces (and retirees) fare so poorly in comparison to their American counterparts because they do not have an organisation similar to MOAA acting on their behalf.

If that's the case, then we - both serving and retired members of HM Forces - have only ourselves to blame.

There is nothing to stop serving personnel from joining RAFA. Presumably (though I doubt that either the MOD or the Government would be at the head of the queue to encourage it) there would be nothing to stop British servicemen (those on active duty AND retirees) from campaigning for - and joining - a tri-service organisation.

An association for serving and retired British Forces personnel would never be as big or as powerful as the MOAA, but - provided it spoke with 'one powerful voice' - it could act to influence the benefits offered to and quality of life of both serving and retired personnel.

Pontius Navigator
11th Oct 2009, 18:40
I handed in my 1250, received a letter thanking me for my service and a pension. - I understand that nowadays, you hand in your 1250, get the letter and a promise of a pension to be paid at some later date ... If the government hasn't spent it.

Actually some scalies used to lose their ID cards some time before they retired.:}

Now however the new ID card is only valid for 3 years or so, so if you do 'lose' it you would retain its privileges for only a year or so.

As for staying in messes, this was both the Treasury clamping down on precuiary advantage and some people ripping the arse out of the system. I stayed at Carlisle mess before it closed. They were very circumspect as they had been done by a retired gp capt. He didn't say he was retired and he didn't pay hos mes bill before he left. He probably had been a gp capt (or is that libelous of all gp capt in which case I withdraw the inference).

Al R
11th Oct 2009, 19:16
This may be useful.

http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/Veterans-Poster.pdf

As might these. Many discounts can be negotiated anyway and my advice would always be to see who is advertising in your station rag and try and batter 25% off them for openers.

Forces Discount (http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/)

Forces Discounts - Directing Market Forces to the Forces Market - Home Page (http://www.forcesdiscounts.co.uk/)

Manuel de Vol
11th Oct 2009, 19:18
The facility of being to stay in a Mess away from your home Station was fairly useful when I was a young singly - I didn't use it that often, but if I wanted to go away for a weekend (and if there was space available at a Mess near where I was going) it came in handy.

As for the Treasury worrying about servicemen obtaining a 'pecuniary advantage', I suppose that's typical of their attitude. If there was an empty room in a Mess, they didn't get any money for it and the 'fixed costs' of operating the Mess were still there. If I or somebody else used that room, then the 'Variable cost'- the cost of laundering the sheets - was more than covered by the accommodation charge.

Moving back to discounts/benefits available to servicemen: The Americans have an R&R facility a few miles from here (the Edelweiss Lodge (http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/)) which is certainly open to British Forces personnel.

Gunnerrock
11th Oct 2009, 20:29
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think you may find that the Edelweiss Lodge (http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/) is only open to British forces personnel who are currently assigned to a NATO base in Germany. :{

Tiger_mate
11th Oct 2009, 23:21
Hewlett Packard telephone order for a new PC monitor. I knew the online discount from the link on the MOD website, but the telephone order got me a 'significant' discount well beyond expectations, and free delivery within 24 hours. Note; the kit is new on market not old stuff they are getting shot of.
V Happy :ok:

Manuel de Vol
12th Oct 2009, 15:33
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think you may find that the Edelweiss Lodge (http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/) is only open to British forces personnel who are currently assigned to a NATO base in Germany. :{

Mea culpa - I should've checked exactly who could use it.:O I was in the area today, so I called in to ask ... but nobody seems to be sure. - They seemed to think it was available to BFG - but when I said: "What about British Forces at SHAPE?" that caused confusion.

"British Forces on NATO assignments"- Which would include BFG, those at SHAPE and in Brussels (or anywhere else in mainland Europe) along with personnel assigned to (or just returned from) Afghanistan seemed to meet with approval, as did 'People on orders' (which is open to fairly broad interpretation.;) )

I'll obtain clarification tomorrow and post the real answer (well, the real answer for that day) on this thread.

FantomZorbin
12th Oct 2009, 15:53
Re. MOAA

I suppose the UK equivalent would be the Forces Pension Association (please see www.forpen.co.uk (http://www.forpen.co.uk)) ... this supports all ranks and 'lobbies' on ex-service pensioners behalf on several fronts including War Widows.

Manuel de Vol
12th Oct 2009, 15:56
Thanks for the link.

Manuel de Vol
13th Oct 2009, 16:02
As promised, here's the definitive answer ... until it changes.

Gunnerrock was about right.

1. BFG personnel (in possession of installation Access cards which allow them access to US installations in Germany) may use the Edelweiß Lodge facilities.

2. British Forces returning from Afghanistan may use the Edelweiß Lodge facilities.

3. Other British Forces may not use the facilities.

I understand that the reason is the German VAT man.

So if you're planning on going on holiday around here (either to ski or just to fall off a mountain - which many people do all year round) you'll just have to go down town and pay less.;)

C130 Techie
13th Oct 2009, 19:52
Clinton Cards now offering 20% discount on all purchases to service personnel on production of ID.

MelWisky
6th Sep 2012, 10:03
www.rewardsforforces.co.uk

unclenelli
6th Sep 2012, 17:53
www.rewardsforforces.co.uk (http://www.rewardsforforces.co.uk)
(working link, not just Green)

Biggus
6th Sep 2012, 17:59
So, apart from the fact that you appear to have to register before you get much information, what are the actual benefits?

Is it the classic case of companies raising prices by 10% before offering the forces a 5% discount? Quite often simply shopping around on the internet can save more money than so called "forces discounts".

What's the situation in this case?

SRENNAPS
6th Sep 2012, 19:20
Supported by The Sun; in which case I would not touch it with a contaminated barge pole!! :mad::mad:

But I am sure some will get sucked in and believe they have got a good deal:ugh::ugh:

P. S. I used to love listening to certain people in good old RAF Germany when they really believed that they had got one over the local (NAAFI) car dealer:D:D