PDA

View Full Version : Interesting airfields in CA

Tip tank
22nd Oct 2000, 07:20
I am just in the final stages of finishing my PPL in California and need to do my 150nm solo cross country. I fly out of Livermore and wanted to know if anybody knows any interesting airfields to fly into? I have been to Petaluma and flew into Pine Mountain Lake which was pretty good.....

Any suggestions would be gratefully received......

------------------
...was that TO or FROM?

JJflyer
22nd Oct 2000, 11:46
Hey bro... Did my training from KOAK.
Check the following places out.

Columbia in the foothills of the Sierras has a wonderful little mining town and a resturant that has been open since the early 1850's.

Castle Airforce base is closed now but still has one of the better museums around with lots and lots of big airplanes such as Vulcan,B52,B36,B47,B29,B24,B17 and a lot more
You will find this airport from your AFD as Atwater.

Harrys Ranch... Well then, fancy a stake. Harrys Ranch has a narrowish and shortish runway so the biggest thing I've seen there is a KingAir. Excellent food and a good fuel stop.

Halfmoon Bay This place is located to th west of the San Fransisco Bay and has some good sights to see and a good restaurant on the field. A good stop during a bay tour or when Coming from Monterey.

Monterey Bay. Good regional airport with 2 FBO's to choose from and a very short taxiride to the town nice pier to do postcard or other shopping many places to eat and a big aquarium to visit.

Santa Barbara. same thing as Monterey though stays a bit warmer during the winter. Has a big University or colllege and lots and lots lightly clothed girls.

I flew to Mojave a couple of times and found a shop located on the field very interesting you could buy anything from a helmet to a ejection ( Bang ) seat from there. Might be a bit long for a 150nm XC flight, but good for Commercial solo.

Anyways hope this helps.

JJ

Check 6
22nd Oct 2000, 20:24
Those are some good choices. A little correction, it is Harris Ranch, not Harrys Ranch. No big deal, but you might not find it otherwise. It is on Interstate 5. The runway is right along the highway, and you park in front of the Harris Ranch Restaurant. Harris Ranch is a brand of beef, so the steaks are very good, but their menu is a little pricey. Columbia is an excellent choice. Be sure to walk into the historic town, which is a State Park. I earned my multi-engine license at Livermore in 1977.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 22 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 22 October 2000).]

ironbutt57
22nd Oct 2000, 23:30
Mojave...lots of interesting stuff there, Big Bear for the skiing..and Harris ranch..so what if it's pricey..it is fantastic..make sure it's the runway and not I-5...right next to each other...weird places? High desert airport near 29-palms Giant rock dry lakebed (old UFO convention gathering place from the 50's) Calexico, Cal walk across the Mexican border to some fantastic.....Chinese food...the chinese were forced there when they completed dynamiting the tunnels for the transcon railroad.....Lake Havasu and see the London Bridge..Bouulder City Nevada..(on the border) and see Hoover Dam...lots of good places I had the opportunity to see when flying there many many moons ago hope you enjoy flying in Cal. I did

Tip tank
24th Oct 2000, 04:48
Thanks guys....all I need to do is erase some of the lines on my sectional and decide which one to follow!
I wish they were laminated like the ones back in blighty....!

------------------
...was that TO or FROM?

Flame Out
28th Oct 2000, 21:52
Gee... great choices guys. A short walk south from Half Moon Bay there's this great seafood restaurant, Barbara's Fish Trap. Reasonable price and great selections. Eureka is nice also, a little far up north but pretty neat. Sky Kitchen at San Carlos has definitely improved over the years. Monterey would really be interesting with a 10 bucks cab ride from the airport to Canary Row, Del Monte Aviation took care of me the last time there. Have fun :)

willbav8r
31st Oct 2000, 00:29
I hear that Half Moon Bay is a great place.

Plan on getting out there myself soon.

Have fun.

B Sousa
5th Nov 2000, 03:59
From Livermore, heres a few that are fun for your XC
1.Auburn (AUN) Have lunch at the restaurant.
2.Lincoln (LHM) Good for an approach. Stop in Lincoln Skyways and have Tom or Greg drop you off at the mexican Restaurant in town.
3.Coalinga, Harris Ranch (3O8) Great food.
4.Porterville (PTV) Killer Hamburger. A couple of neat shops on the field building all kinds of Toys..
and many more.........