PDA

View Full Version : Getting that job

Haydn
10th Oct 2000, 20:58
I am currently a RAF Pilot with 2500 TT. I have 600 hrs T-37, T-38, Hawk, the rest is Helicopter, 1400 PIC. I have spent 5 years in post maintenance test flying. I should have FAA licences completed by early 2001. I am caught in the 'no Green Card' game but have employed a company in London to process the paperwork and they claim to take all of the hassle out of the employment process for an employer (they should do for the price!) I have to move to the US for personal reasons hopefully by spring 2002.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start the employment process, I would obviously like an Airline job, but who would'nt? so I would look at most aviation based jobs initially to get the precious written job offer to kick start the GC process.

Any pointers or contacts gratefully accepted.

PAIFAgofer
11th Oct 2000, 12:46
Good luck to you mate. There are two hurdles that you will have to overcome here in the US (I came over from blighty as well). #1 The airlines detest helicopter time. Some take it, but the vast majority reckon its bollocks. #2 Most airlines will not even process your app or interview you unless you have proof of eligibilty to work in the US. My advice to you is to get married, unless you are already, then you are up the creek without a paddle.

PAIFAgofer
11th Oct 2000, 13:07
Hey one more piece of advice. You might consider becoming an instructor for a few months at FSI or PAIFA to get yourself some contacts. Otherwise, you could try AEX air or Catalina flying services, both out of Burbank, who are known to take "interns" (nudge nudge wink wink)on. The fly Navajos and Beech 18s, but have VERY good connections with Ameriflight, Embry WW and Fedex, which is where most of their pilots end up.

britavia
11th Oct 2000, 17:32
Second the above comments about the GC situation. Most companies get "jittery" unless you show right to work and some won't hire unless you have the fully paid up GC (Permanant Residency) in hand.

In addition to FedEx (I'm flying for one of their feeder companies), Southwest have been known to like ex-Military guys. On the freight side, you might also want to try Ameristar or Cherry Air (Lears & Falcon bizjets). When push comes to shove, the best credentials appear to be multi-crew PIC time (known as pt 121 or 135 time in the USA).

Good luck

Haydn
11th Oct 2000, 18:56
Thanks very much for the top tips. It sounds as though this might be an even more tricky process than I thought.

As for the marital route, the reason for not slogging over CAA exams and staying in the UK is an ex wife in Texas who lives there with my kids. I know, I should have got the GC before, I naively thought the immigration process would look kindly upon my case, you live and learn!

Thanks again for responding, I might have to look at the Helicopter route.

britavia
11th Oct 2000, 21:24
Without wishing to know the ins and outs of your martial problems, may I ask did you actually file for PR whilst in the USA and/or did the INS take any action against you?

I myself am going through the laborious INS process and our interview will be soon (I hope!).

Also, if the INS did take action against you (deportation etc), I doubt you will get any kind of temporary work visa (H1b's etc) in any case.

Email me if you like (I'm no expert however!)

Oil Captain
12th Oct 2000, 05:06
Petroleum Helicopters Inc.
The largest commercial helicopter company in the world, providing services to offshore oil, onshore mining, international, aeromedical, and technical services industries. http://www.phihelico.com They are in need of rotor pilots, and I can't say what their policy is about green

this sight was posted in the thread about United hiring. I went there and you can send in questions about your possible work visa or just read some of the Qs&As already there.
cards.http://www.usvisanews.com/wedquest092700.html

Good luck

Check 6
12th Oct 2000, 23:37
Haydn check out www.aptap22.com (http://www.aptap22.com) This is a web site for military helo pilots wishing to transition into a f/w job. This site probably does not address the "green card" issue, but will answer some of your other questions. Good luck.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 12 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 12 October 2000).]

Flarechecklevel
9th Nov 2000, 04:58
Haydn, Hope everything goes well for you. Im also a Mil Pilot with 1000+ and am sitting my CPL and IR exams at Gloucester soon. I am looking to leave the force within the next 3 years or so and move to the USA also. I will be staying rotary so the Airline route is only really of passing interest to me, but if you do get any "top tips" or contacts, or indeed any advice at all I would very much apprieciate if you would drop me a line. I have family in LA and that is where I wish to head for, but I will work anywhere to be honest. I'm single so that may (from what I skip read above) be a problem. I havent looked into anything with ref to the GC etc etc yet, I'm just cracking the exams off at the mo.

Please feel free to drop me a line anytime at all, and Thanks.

[email protected]

Oil Captain
9th Nov 2000, 06:14
Hi Flare and others,

If you have family already here in USA I hope it is Mom or Dad as they are the next best to a wife for getting you in. Otherwise if you are planning to be here in three years +/- you better start working on the process now. That is unless you plan on waltzing in and marrying the first woman that isn't hard on the eyes and says yes. Even with being married the provisional period is one year before you can have a work permit. The flying with the rotary companies would be a better option than airlines. I have a friend flying for PHI that has been in Saudi for the last 96 days. He is making good money while there. They have a compound where the Americans live and work. I can't say what it is like for the pilot of a helicopter but as the passenger and landing on a boat that is bobbing up and down in the ocean with a heliport just big enough for the aircraft was at times a bit uncomfortable. The worst was flying at 200ft off the deck in Hurricane Charlie being evacuated from the rig in torential rain and wind and praying the pilot, who had no radar, would be able to see a rig in our flight path. Plus the area around the rotor was leaking from the rain and there was about two inches of water rolling around on the floor. Scary.
The Oil Captain is for my being a captain of oil supply vessels. Flown on many PHI and Air Logistics Helicopters to get to work.

Haydn
9th Nov 2000, 12:13
Flarechklvl,

I have been using AAS in Gloucester, it is a good set up that gets the written exams out of the way. From what I have found out so far it's a neat trick to get a permit to work but it can be done. I am using a company in London called Visa Plus, they claim to help the process along, stay well clear they certainly have done very little to help so far and are very expensive.

As far as the practical aspects of the license are concerned I have found a Flight School in Texas called Stinsonair. They are being very hepful so far,contacting the FAA on my behalf etc, and do both FW and Rotary.

Oilcaptain is correct as far as family and visas are concerned, they need to be, parent, child over 21or spouse to sponsor you.

Best of luck

Sighcopilot
9th Nov 2000, 13:17
Hi, I am curious if any of you know how the INS look at common law relationships. My partner, a US citizen, is recognized in my country and has a resident visa. Would I be able to move to the USA and get the greencard without getting married? We have been together for many years.

Oil Captain
9th Nov 2000, 20:50
INS does not...does not accept common law marriages because here it is a state by state law not a federal law for common law marriages. They require a means of support for the immigrant. As part of the immigrant agreement the immigrant swears to not accepting or applying for public assistance i.e. welfare and such so there needs to be a person that is responsible. That is why they look at parent's and spouses because they can take those people and sponsors to court if they fail in their sponsorship roles of ensuring that the immigrant does not end up a burden on the society. It doesn't keep it from happening but it does work for the first two to five years of the probational green card. So you say how do I know this? Well, my now x-husband is back in Oz with his Mummy and I am still here in USA and I had to go through this process when we were married. He did get his green (pink) card, but it was a year for the application process and then the two years of probational card before they issue the second five year card wich is still somewhat probational. At the end of 5 years with that card the immigrant then gets the permanent card which then at the end of that 5 years is then eligible for citizenship. Even being here in the USA and living here it took a year and it was nearly $2500.00 to get to the five year provisional card.

TowerDog
10th Nov 2000, 02:10
To get a heads up on jobs and requirements and such, sign up with a company called Air, Inc, run by Kit Darby. (UAL Captain)

The information is good and very accurate.
Cost is about a couple of hundred $ per year.

(No, I don't work for Air Inc, but got a free subscription from ALPA when I was furloughed.)

Also look into FCI.
They should both have web pages.

I came over to the US from Europe some years ago and have been climbing the ladder steadily. (Also fell down a few times)
Lots of hard work when you start out and you are competing with guys with more flying time and connections.
INS is a pain. Got kicked out once or twice.
Snuck back in via a oil tanker from the Middle-East. (Long story)

Now have my US Citizen ship. Get that as soon
as you qualify.

Good luck.....

TD

------------------
Men, this is no drill...