PDA

View Full Version : 747 with 250 hours

felixflyer
5th Mar 2008, 13:50
Hi
I have seen a few jobs advertised recently for low houred pilots (i.e. 250 hours) with a TR to act as second officers on 747's Typically they will move to first officers after a fixed period.

As someone whos aim is to fly the 747, i would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone down this route. Could you really get a job on this aircraft with a freshly gained CPL/IR + TR or is that just a minimum requirement and you wouldnt have a chance. It would be a shame to pay for a 747 TR and not have a hope of finding a job. Or is the role of second officer/cruise pilot seen as an entry level job and only the low houred would apply.

Please dont turn this into a TR vs non TR thread.

Re-Heat
5th Mar 2008, 15:00
I doubt you will find many on here who have personally experienced it, except some western Captains operating for Far Eastern airlines who may fly with them.

It is far more common of Far Eastern airlines with longhaul-only operations - they sponsor local, new cadets, and place them as SOs in cruise pilot operations. On which note, I expect it to be highly unlikely that many, other than local, low-houred applicants would be considered for such positions...

Someone with more experience of them may be able to provide some colour.

portsharbourflyer
5th Mar 2008, 18:26
First thing Felix, TNT are not expecting anyone to pay for a rating; for the Second Officers I believe it will be a training bond and the company will provide the training. As stated to apply you just need a frozen ATPL.

As a second officer you will be doing cruise relief duties for two years. This is a cost effective way of extending (well in effect) the duty hours of the main crew thus allowing them to operate on a super long haul route.

As a cruise relief pilot you will only be allowed to handle the aircraft above 10 or 20,000 feet; hence you will not do any real opeational landings for two years, as a result you should see why such a position would not be sought after by someone with some exepriece as an FO. It is a fast track into long haul and yes it is regarded as an entry level postion. Virgin did experiment with cruise relief pilots in the late nineties (even had a part sponsorship scheme) but have not recruited CRPs since.

outside_loop
6th Mar 2008, 09:35
does anyone have a link for this? or was it in flight international?

powerstall
6th Mar 2008, 14:57
You could check out Cathay Pacific's website, they have somewhat of a program leisurely described in it.... shows how the steps up the ladder are done in order to be an F/O for the long haul fleets they have...

If my memory serves me right, they have accepted SO's from the UK, so you might wanna check it out.

:hmm:

portsharbourflyer
6th Mar 2008, 18:44
For Cathay Pacific Ex-pat SO require a 1000 hours total time with preference to those with turbine or multi engine experience. IF you have Hong Kong nationality then you can apply with 250 hours.

The TNT job was indeed advertised in Flight International. Also details are on the IPA website. Another pointer for those looking for the first job the IPA website is far better than the BALPA website concerning up to date recruitment information.

Knee Trembler
6th Mar 2008, 18:55
Dutch pilots joining KLM have the option to chose between FO Fokker 50 and longhaul SFO. Not sure how long they are bound on type for but pay is identical.

KT

Tootles the Taxi
6th Mar 2008, 20:33
KLM have the option to chose between FO Fokker 50 and longhaul SFO

It's Second Officer (as opposed to Senior First Officer (SFO)). Often referred to as 'CoCo's' on longhaul.

jetflite
7th Mar 2008, 00:19
How do the S.O's log time ?

powerstall
7th Mar 2008, 03:13
one asian based carrier who have SO's in their 330/340 and 747 fleets log in about a third of the total flight time... don't know about the other long haul carriers.....

:ok:

tagdenmedro
7th Mar 2008, 10:27
I'm on the 747-300. Got the job with 400 hours on a small TP. Enjoying every minute of it. So, yes, it can be done.

attde
19th Mar 2008, 01:24
Does anyone actually operate as a SO for CX??? Would like an honest idea of what Im in for... getting mixed messages left, right and centre.

Im off to Hong Kong in may.....

:)

roljoe
19th Mar 2008, 10:44
Hi,

could somebody give the exact web reference for IPA website...I try a google search but nothing comes out in relation to this..

Thanks & Rgds

Tony Hirst
19th Mar 2008, 11:30
roljoe,

www.ipapilot.com

roljoe
19th Mar 2008, 12:07
Thanks Tony..:ok:

EpsilonVaz
19th Mar 2008, 15:44
Do CX accept 250hr applicants for an SO?