PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my own (theoretical!) airline!

coaties86
5th Mar 2008, 13:18
I'm in my final year at university and I've been set a project to setup my own airline. That is preparing a business plan and completing an ops manual as if I was really applying for an AOC.
The only problem is I don't know that much about the airline industry!:bored:
We've got to run a scheduled airline from Blackpool to the Isle of man, and we're also running a route to Luton from BPL. Using a Let 410.

Any suggestions as to how I go about this, feel free...!
:ugh:

Yak97
5th Mar 2008, 13:37
Send me a PM and I'll try and assist.

Rgds Yak97

TwinAisle
5th Mar 2008, 13:41
Same applies for me - happy to help, drop me a PM.

TA

xtypeman
5th Mar 2008, 14:08
Sounds like someone from Manx...... Have you been pushed out and want to set up in competion. Or are Manxi worried about not having a UK AOC(EASA). Give up on the LET410.....

coaties86
5th Mar 2008, 14:16
as I say I'm a uni student at the min.
However your theory is very interesting as the lecturer who set this project did have an airline running from BPL to IOM.....that went bust!!
What aircraft would you suggest?

MUFC_fan
5th Mar 2008, 17:04
I would suggest a BAe 146 to LTN and a Let 410 to IOM - simply because it is proven to work!;)

If you need any help! Just post me a PM!:ok:

AvEnthusiast
6th Mar 2008, 04:35
And when you prepared all this and passed your thesis, then apply for a real AOC as well and do the budget rising.

dada
6th Mar 2008, 06:28
MUFC - you shopuld have added 'with some stats' to your offer of help as that's what you seem to excel in. dont get into talking about powerplants again

Dan D'air
6th Mar 2008, 09:27
I am slightly embarrassed at admitting to knowing this, but there is a virtual airline program for the PC. I can't remember the title, but an internet search should help. Failing that, maybe try the spotters forum!!

Good luck regardless!

Cheers, DD.

atmosphere
6th Mar 2008, 10:26
Airline Tycoon! I used to play that game long ago! not overly realistic though.

Here is a brief Synopsis from wikipedia.

Gameplay
A simulation computer game where the player acts as manager of an airline, competing against three other budding tycoons. The names of the four tycoons are: Tina Cortez (Sunshine Airways), Siggi Sorglos (Falcon Lines), Igor Tuppolevsky (Phoenix Travel) and Mario Zucchero (Honey Airlines). The player must keep their aircraft in good shape and equip them at such a level as to keep the customers satisfied, buy new planes (from the expensive Airplane Agency or from Mr Schlauberger at the museum who fixes them up and then sells them at a much lower cost) and take out bank loans if required. The player must also manage their personnel, plan flights, buy fuel, attend meetings in the airport manager's office and, if there is the time, slip into Rick's café for a quick cup of coffee. There is lots to explore and many decisions to make including what sabotages where and when. The graphics are bright and decidedly tongue in cheek: the tycoon Igor Tuppolevsky has a set of Russian dolls on his desk--and an open tin of caviar.
With a network, up to four people can play at once and the game status can be saved (as it can in single-player mode) for long battles of wit.

Picture at link below.

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/GAMES/large/airlinescr_005-large.jpg

MUFC_fan
6th Mar 2008, 16:12
146 from BPL to LTN? Who proved that worked ?

Read the mesage again....:rolleyes:

6th Mar 2008, 22:07
Theres a airline simulation program i think its called Airline 6 or something like that (google it)and it is really good as you can run your own ops etc....
It is rather basic but a lot more realistic than Airline Tycoon:}

Bit expensive though:bored:

coaties86
6th Mar 2008, 22:30
Major problems with costs, seen as i'm a student, living off an overdraft!:uhoh:

Pugilistic Animus
6th Mar 2008, 22:37
the rules for an airline are quite extensive this may help with your project a little http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=1b2162907f0627fa65fb08cdcd31f8a1&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.4.23&idno=14

Aztec Driver
7th Mar 2008, 03:30
Interested to learn your lecturer use to run a failed BLK-IOM enlighten me ?

xtypeman
7th Mar 2008, 10:35
Start with the CAA suggest you read all the stuff on there web site have a look at the following

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=148

EIDW Spotter
7th Mar 2008, 13:11
Here is an actual Boeing link

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/startup/index.html

EHkodiak
26th Mar 2008, 15:44
Oooh oooh, I did this exact thing for my final year doing ATw/PS at Salford Uni. If its the same course you are on, then well, send me a PM or something. If its the same lecturer that I'm thinking it is (PB?) then heh, he's a tough marker.