PDA

View Full Version : MPs: Higher Aviation Taxes

LH2
5th Mar 2008, 12:59
From the news:

The 2007 Pre–Budget Report and Comprehensive Spending Review: An environmental analysis (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmenvaud/149/149.pdf) (House of Commons, Environmental Audit Committee, Feb. 2008).

PAXboy
5th Mar 2008, 14:52
Ain't gonna happen.

This govt is now on a thin, and reducing, wicket, needing all the votes they can get and I reckon they will want want popular votes before the fewer green votes. The cttee can complain but my guess is that anything we see in the budget will be token. It may sound big, but it won't be. The chances of any one govt taking unilateral action must be slim.

manintheback
5th Mar 2008, 15:17
You couldnt make it up.

Government report/position: Raise taxes to help environment, reduce air travel
Government position: Build 3rd runway at Heathrow to increase air travel

shurely shome mishtake.

randomair
6th Mar 2008, 18:00
Heathrow is the most important airport in the UK, not just for airlines and cheep fares for pax, but for the UK economy.

I say expand Heathrow and reduce flights in standsted and luton. :ok:

groundhand
10th Mar 2008, 16:13
One area of the tax system I have never understood is how staff 'firm' flights offered to staff and there families are not classed as a benefit in kind.

I know of one family, daughter works for BA and they get HUGE travel perks; often upgraded on long haul etc. Their last trip, a total of 5 passengers on longhaul business class flights was probably worth c.£25k and cost them about £200.

Sub-load I can understand; but when the booking is firm this is a guaranteed service.

Can anyone explain?

renfrew
10th Mar 2008, 17:05
But firm is not really firm.It is just a high priority standby.
If a flight is full you still end up standing by at the airport.