PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information

rebel76
12th Mar 2000, 21:08
I am looking for supplementary information about Comair academy. I have a CPL with IR and ME ratings and consider starting their CFI time building program. Anyone knows anything about it, or about the school in general? Thanks!

Legal Alien
12th Mar 2000, 21:14
The Comair CFI program is very expensive and doesn't gaurantee a job despite what they tell you. A friend of mine did his CFI there and was then told at the end that they wouldn't employ him because he hadn't done all of his ratings with them!
I have heard that this policy varies from month to month depending on what the requirements are from Comair academy for instructors at the time. Even if you are taken on you get paid next to nothing and work for them for the next year.

I would suggest looking into ALL ATPS - they advertise in Flying magazine. You would get a lot more Multi time with them.

Best of luck.

rebel76
12th Mar 2000, 23:12
I am a foreign student and I can only fly as an instructor with an M-1 Visa (2 years).The problem with schools offering time building programs, is that they don't guarantee anything. I am not sure about ALLATS though... I've red some bad comments in other aviation forums. Thanks for the information anyway!

[This message has been edited by rebel76 (edited 12 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by rebel76 (edited 12 March 2000).]

Flame Out
13th Mar 2000, 08:43
Try Sierra Academy. They've been hiring their CFIs from the inside since I don't know how long. You don't have to do all your ratings with them either just as long as you are competent enough. :)

rebel76
13th Mar 2000, 14:30
Sierra was my top choice but I changed my mind... I posted a message in the aviation message board (www.flightinfo.com) and an old instructor of the school replied. He told me that once you take your CFI certificates, you have to find your own students, in order to build time! He spent there 1 year and built 150 hours. Of course, this is not acceptable, since I can only stay in the US for 2 years.