PDA

View Full Version : Knee Problems

felixflyer
5th Mar 2008, 10:02
Hi
I have a class 2 medical which has just expired and i need to get it renewed. The problem is i am on a waiting list for keyhole surgery on my knee due to an ACL problem. I dont have any problems with my knee 99% of the time and as many of you will know the ACL is mainly affected by pivoting motions rather than walking./running etc.

My question is can i get my class 2 renewed now before the op or will i have to wait until after i have recovered which will be around 8 weeks away. I would like to fly before i go in for the operation if possible.

Also my doctor has assured me that this surgery will not affect my chance of getting my class 1, can anyone confirm this?

Regards

Mike

Mohit_C
5th Mar 2008, 19:05
I'm curious to see reponses to this thread because months ago I had also made a thread because I too have a torn ACL and I was going to operate before my Class 1 Medical but due to uncertainties I didn't and still haven't operated (plus the recovery time according to my doctor was 6 months!!).

Eliason
15th Mar 2008, 12:54
I have had an ACL reconstruction 8 years ago - never had problem with the knee (till I made an unplanned summersault again last year skiing :( ) and never had any problems getting a class I medical.

As long as the knee is stable, doesn't give you any problems, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the medical - before or after the reconstruction.

@ Mohit_C: recovery time varies a lot - depending on your overall fitness and the method used for reconstruction.
I was allowed to put on full weight the day after surgery - and released for about anything 5 weeks after reconstruction (wasn't allowed to do flips on the trampolin for 6 months though :suspect: )