PDA

View Full Version : Accident and chances of job?

nflyer
5th Mar 2008, 09:35
Hi everyone.

I am holder of PPL and recently had accident in C-152. A heavy landing with nosegear collapse. Really want to become airline pilot. Noticed that some applications ask about accidents / incidents. Will this effect chances of job. It was aminor accident but the a/c concerned was taken out of service while repairs were undergone.

Any replies appreciated.

nflyer
5th Mar 2008, 09:40
Hi

I am holder of PPL. Recent had accident in C-152 with heavy landing and nosegear collapse with some damage to engine cowling. I want to become an airline pilot. Noticed on some job applications they ask for accidents/incidents. Will this minor incidentr effect chances of a job in future with airline???

V. grateful for all your replies.

P.S. Notice Ryanair application and Easy jet don't have a section for accidents/incidents but do they check you out??

roljoe
5th Mar 2008, 10:00
Hi,

my advise is, don't fill up your brain with that and go ahead toward a cpl/ir with frozen atpl...the way is quite long and don't worry..be happy..

londonmet
5th Mar 2008, 10:25
nflyer,

I wouldn't worry about it mate. Everyone has incidents like this. Some turn lucky some don't and minor damage is caused. You could argue that you have a perfect answer to the question -

"So tell me about an incident in your life whereby you've learnt from the outcome".

As roljoe states correctly the path is long to the RHS of a jet. Perfectly achievable though. I have had a few landings in a big jet that I wouldn't rate as being anything to praise. You've just got to not let pride get in the way.

Best of luck.

L Met

AvEnthusiast
5th Mar 2008, 10:58
Hey Gents,

Please reply my question here as well. When you face these kinds of accidents then who pays for the damage? I mean why you are having your taining with an FTO.

Shunter
5th Mar 2008, 11:29
I think when they ask about incidents/accidents they're more referring to the context of commercial flying. A C152 nosewheel collapse as a low-hours PPL is probably not high on their list of concerns.

Cpt.Petursson
5th Mar 2008, 11:34
have heard of some guys that forgot to put the gear down on their sim assignment when applying for a job and they got the job....... somthing about if you have done it once you won't do it again

roljoe
5th Mar 2008, 12:18
All this kind of mishaps should and must be covered by an appropriate insurance,

third party and the rest...that's part of the bill you pay for trainning...

In europe, at least..in the us..but long time ago, sometimes you had to pay an extra insurance pacquage fot this..but as I said, long time ago and to be confirmed..

nflyer
5th Mar 2008, 13:02
Phew!!!

Thanks for repleies guys. Thats a releif! Btw what happens to airline pilots for e.g. if they clip the wing of another a/c like what happened at Heathrow recently. Are the pilots suspended pending investigation or do they continue to work?

smith
5th Mar 2008, 13:13
Please try not to start threads in multiple forums, thanks.

Adios
5th Mar 2008, 21:39
It's not likely to hurt your employment opportunities. I know of students involved in much worse accidents during the CPL or IR portion of their training who went on to get jobs. One was probably the student's fault due to poor crosswind technique while right at the aircraft's crosswind limit. It was also on his IR skills test. He got a partial pass, passed the retake and now flies for a rather well known airline.

This is not the first training aircraftr bent this month and won't be the last. Students have to be allowed to make mistakes and come back from them. Get back in the saddle and put it behind you. So long as it doesn't shake your confidence, and you don't do it repeatedly, it shouldn't hurt your job opportunities.