PDA

View Full Version : Work in USA

djt
8th Mar 2000, 03:13
I'm an Aust. pilot working in the Southern Alps of New Zealand seeking any sort of work in the States. Currently have 700hrs (and increasing), lots of mountain flying experience, multi IF, frozen ATPL etc. Finding it difficult to get any info on the States so any info would be great.

Rogaine addict
8th Mar 2000, 19:52
Sorry if this sounds politically incorrect. Having dealt with competition for jobs from foreign pilots most of my career, with very little prospect of finding a job in your country or any other besides my own, my personal opinion is that these jobs should be reserved for our own, just like they are in almost all other countries. I know that isn't what you were looking for, but that's the advice I got when I looked elsewhere and it's probably the best advice anyone could give you. Good luck in your career, there's no place like home.

Legal Alien
8th Mar 2000, 20:50
I'm a British pilot working in the US and will say that it is relatively easy to get a job right now if you have the right to work in the US. That means having a US passport or greencard. If you don't have these then it is highly unlikely that anyone would sponsor you for employment.

Try getting a Visa through the greencard lottery they have each year. I don't have details but if you write to the US embassey in your country they will send you details - I think the correct name for the program is something along the Immigrant Diversity program although I'm sure a little research on the web will get the details.

P.S. If you are British ( except NI ) forget this program as you aren't eligible.

The Bagwan
10th Mar 2000, 08:58
You may find opportunities in the corporate world, a number of US owned private jets are foreign registered (no greencard reqd). It's a matter of getting out there, meeting people, persistance and a bit of luck. The Diversity Visa is worth a shot (it's free). Also try the Canadadian bush if you can get the working holiday visa, I think if you're under 30.

Legal Alien
10th Mar 2000, 23:26
I believe that you would still need a greencard to be employed in the USA even if the aircraft being flown was foreign registered - unless the aircraft is based out of the country -I would check on this.

The Bagwan
11th Mar 2000, 03:26
Yes, you need a greencard to legally work in the USA. However, if you are flying a Bermuda, Cayman, etc registered jet and are also an offshore resident (or contracted from offshore) there is no problem flying into and around the USA. Just as a US registered jet and crew don't require work permits when they fly into and around other countries.