PDA

View Full Version : canadian to JAR conversion

kesskidi
4th Mar 2008, 19:56
hi
I'm looking for a place to convert a canadian cpl/m/ifr to JAR from north america.
the school can be situated in us or canada.
experiences welcome
thanks
K

00Viggen
4th Mar 2008, 20:12
As far as I know, the only place in Canada that does JAR training is Moncton Flight College. Keep in mind that only the JAR flight training is conducted at Moncton. It is my understanding the 14 ATPL(A) exams still have to be wirrten in the UK (or equiv JAR state). There are a handful of UK-based distance learning providers for the theoretical exams.

I'm also a Canadian CPL/IR holder, but live in the UK now, and the first thing you'll notice about pursuing the European licence is the high cost of training and very structured syllabus.

Good luck.

Zyox
4th Mar 2008, 20:19
In the process of doing this myself.
Firstly you need to sit and pass all 14 ATPL exams before you can go near converting the licenses. This can be done distance learning (what I'm doing) or in house in a few places. Honestly? I'd probably recommend biting the bullet and sitting it in house. You'll get it done quick and classroom really does help. Having the flying already done does however help with understand a lot of it, especially having done the CPL and INRAT exams. It's doable on your own like that with distance learning, but if time is an issue, classroom will speed it up.

As for the flying I'm told I need to do a minimum of 15 hours in a twin in Europe before doing the multi-IR as that's a requirement but I can't confirm this. Just the main hurdle seems to be doing the exams which is what you should get out of the way first, then worry about the flying etc. afterwards.

Haven't flown since July when I left Canada :/ Can't wait to get these finished. Good luck with it, hopefully that helped a bit, ask away if you want me to be more specific on anything.

Oh! Bristol for the distance learning says all the happy customers :)

Finals19
5th Mar 2008, 17:32
I am a Canadian CPL/ME/IR holder doing exactly this. I've nearly completed the conversion, just finishing off the flight training. Here are my experiences to date - hopefully will help:

ATPL groundschool:

Did mine with Bristol Ground School, distance learning, with the two required residential brush ups at Cheddar. BGS are a top operation, very experienced in what they do and get you through with respectable results. The course could be done realistically in about 7 months from home if you put a lot of work in. Nine months would be a bit more relaxed. The INRAT and CPL exams in Canada will barely scratch the surface of the JAA ATPL's, so their benefits are very limited. JAA ATPL material is over worked and over rated, but welcome to JAA land. Distance learning is likely the most cost effective.

Flight training conversion:

Currently converting on the south coast. Regarding the JAA "minimum of 15 hours to convert IR" be aware it is just that. Very few people complete in that time, as the typical ten in the sim and five in the plane will barely give you a look-in at the test routes and exercises required. The biggest hurdle with the IR test is lack of familiarity and complexity of UK airspace, combined with extremely busy RT and unless you are a very well honed single pilot IFR guy, you're going to take a while to get back up to speed in that capacity. Total of 25-30 hours is not unusual. Budget £10K minimum for the IR/CPL. I've yet to do the CPL, but its training as required.

kesskidi
5th Mar 2008, 18:48
thanks guys for that it helps a lot
so total cost would look like 20000 pounds ?
are some of you going to do a multi crew training/ licence as they seem to appreciate it in EU/UK.
BTW, how any chances to get a right seat with 300 hours, as system there is not like in canada at all ?

and another question
bristol looks ok but more expensive than oxford.
what would you recomand for diatnce learning ?
THX

Zyox
6th Mar 2008, 15:33
Oxford books aren't the best for distance learning, I'm using them myself, ugh. Stick with Bristol as recommended by nearly everyone here, seems to be far better and less random filler in the notes too.