PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the USA

Comanche
2nd Oct 2000, 16:49
I lived in the USA for a while (CO) and would love to live there. It is the every returning story, no right to live there yet. I play the greencard lottery every year, so statistically within about 10 years I should get one. Now, the question is once I have a right to work in your great country, whether or not is has been worth all the effort. Could someone please answer the following questions:

* what are my chances of being hired with a major? I have a Masters degree, 1500 TT 1100 hrs 737 heavy jet with commerial airline at the moment (British Airways franchise). No PIC time. I know some people at UA.

* which bases are the most likely ones you can bid and get with majors such as UA, DL, AA? I'd rather stay away from places like Chicago, LA, Newark. Would Denver or Atlanta be possible??

Many thanks

Oil Captain
2nd Oct 2000, 16:54
For years now Atlanta has been rated as one of the busiest airports in the world. They had more air movements last year than Chicago so why would you rather base there?

As far as I know there are no guarantees of anything in life you take your shot accept the risk factors and possible consequences and hope for the best.

Good luck

inverted flatspin
3rd Oct 2000, 08:18
Pilot hiring is strong among the majors at the moment and it looks like it will continue to be strong for a number of years.

good luck in the lottery and if that falls through you can always marry an American.

As I'm sure you are aware you will require a FAA ATP to work for a US airline so make sure that you have all the requirements completed before you begin looking for a job.

The last person I know that got hired by American Airlines had the following experience.

1100 helicopters (former marine corp pilot)
450 single engine PIC
2000 multi turbine SIC (Citation)
750 multi PIC (citation)

this kind of experience is typical for a new hire at the majors. Average age is 38.

hope this helps.

Comanche
5th Oct 2000, 02:07
Soon I will have my UK ATPL, so I will the hours. WIll just need to do the FAA tests, which won't be a big deal.

I am already married, so marrying an American is not possible.

Regarding bases, I would try to stay away from places where the cost of living is high (house prices etc) and where the weather is cold and equally depressing as in England. Atlanta would perhaps seem like a good second or third choice.

Any more input would be VERY useful. Many thanks.

Fogrunner
5th Oct 2000, 03:54
The joy of flying for a 121 carrier is, you can jumpseat to work on your airline or any other carriers with participating jumpseat agreements. Meaning you can live where you please.

[This message has been edited by Fogrunner (edited 04 October 2000).]

inverted flatspin
5th Oct 2000, 04:34
There is no reason not to try and get a job with the majors but a word of caution having the required hours is not enough. United Airlines have 7000 applications on file so be prepared to work for something les than a major. The best route at the moment is the regionals they seem to be expanding rapidly at the moment, the pay is not great but it is a foot in the door.

The UK ATPL means nothing to a US airline. Luckily it does mean some thing to the FAA who will allow you to convert it to a US ticket. I don't know the details but a good place to start would be the FAA website
http://www.faa.gov

I think that you would have to do some of the exams and probably the ATP checkride, Don't take that as gospel find out for yourself.

PAIFAgofer
15th Oct 2000, 07:22
Comanche
re converting to the FAA ATP
Even if you do have a CAA/JAA ATP, you must meet the FAA ATP hours breakdown.
Here they are
1500TT, 500 PIC X-C, 75 IFR, 100 Night. You can credit 500 Hours of your SIC time towards TT. You shouldnt have a problem with the exam, its one multiple choice test (and its a joke). If you want to practise, get the Gleim Book for it, it has all the questions and answers. I just sent a bloke for an ATP who had similar hours to yours, if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Check 6
15th Oct 2000, 13:02
There are two ATP fixed-wing exams. One is an FAR 135 exam (non-sked mostly) and the other is an FAR 121 exam (scheduled larger airlines). The FAR 121 is "not a joke" to pass. The FAR 135 is probably much easier. Your license will say ATP, regardless of which written is taken. So, take the easier one.

Good luck,
Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

FAAJAA
16th Oct 2000, 03:09
If you've done a JAA ATPL groundschool and exams, the FAA ATP exams are a joke. Kudos to Paifagofer, he hit the nail right on the head.

BUSDRVR
16th Oct 2000, 07:41
Yes the FAA writtens are way easier than the JAA ones, having taken both, I will gladly memorize the red gliem book many times over than to plot those graphs in a performance exam ever again!

But the 4 hour initial CFI oral portion for the PTS, prior to getting in the airplane is still the toughest I had ever taken! harder than the type rides!

PAIFAgofer
17th Oct 2000, 11:29
BusDriver
I agree 100%...everything I've done since my Initial CFI has been a cakewalk...you must have gone with the FAA if you had 4 hours of oral! I had 11 with a DE, then when we went to fly the governor failed!!!! Never again!