PDA

View Full Version : FAA PIC recognized by JAA?

stefair
4th Mar 2008, 12:16
Hi,
I am building hours in the USA at the moment by flying with a buddy of mine where one of us is flying under the hood and the other is acting as the safety pilot. I also log this that way so if I was the safety pilot I could not have done the landing nor takeoff. Now I know that it is common practice in the U.S. to log flight time like this to keep the cost down but I now learned that the JAA may not like that and - worse scenario - will not even recognize those hours. Hence it would be great if anyone here who took the same avenue could say where the CAA stands about this. Many thanks!

B2N2
4th Mar 2008, 12:28
AFAIK in JAA land "safety pilot" hours will not be recognized.
Your time under the hood will count but not the time that your buddy is under the hood and you are safety pilot.

I wouldn't log too much safety pilot time anyway, not even in FAA land.
What people are interested in is your " stick (or yoke) in hand I am making the decisions" PIC time.
Not necessarily the " I am looking out the window" PIC time.
It's legal to log but of limited value.

IRISHPILOT
4th Mar 2008, 15:30
you are a required crew member by regulation and the FAR states that you must log this as PIC. Both of you. The IAA, German and Czech CAA accept this, seems the UK CAA doesn't.

If may be of limited value with regards to your own skills (the safety piloting time that is), but it is perfectly legal and airlines are most definitely interested in your total time. Nobody ever asked me if these hours were flown as safety pilot or not, but they all ask for the TT!

cheers, IP

Hufty
4th Mar 2008, 20:42
The CAA don't recognise these safety pilot hours as others have said.

What you put in your log book and later declare as your total time is entirely up to you, but under JAR these hours are no more real to the authority than hours you log as a passenger. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or even make comment about this being the right approach or not, just stating fact.

If you log them and then later down the line have to justify them, then you're going to find yourself in a difficult position! In addition, if you are applying for a professional licence at some stage then if you include these hours (and I can't remember what they ask for on the form) you will be telling pork pies to the authority...probably not such a good idea!

MartinCh
4th Mar 2008, 22:30
irishpilot:
So you're based in Prague? :-) I did my JAA and FAA private medical in Prague last month on the way to say hello to family. Good deal, two for the price of one. Almost as they asked extra 500 CZK for spirometry thanks to stupid 'asthmatic cold' remark in my medical papers, BS, but..

Seems to me that folks flying in the US and planning to return to Europe (JAA land) should leave 'safety pilot' hours to Americans as they stay in FAA system.
Maybe offering 60-40 or 70-30 cost sharing just to have all the hood time.
Or finding enough hopefuls for safety pilot time.

This thing, 'issue' was mentioned on PPRUNE before

nh2301
5th Mar 2008, 06:01
you are a required crew member by regulation and the FAR states that you must log this as PIC. Both of you.

Not actually the case. There is no FAR that states you have to log anything, unless required for currency or a rating. By agreeing prior to the flight, the safety pilot may ACT as PIC, and log the time as PIC. Technically he could also decide to act as SIC instead and log SIC time, although that might look a bit strange. The Safety Pilot is responsible for the conduct of the flight.
The pilot under the hood may also log PIC as the sole manipulator of the flight controls, but he is not ACTING as PIC and is not legally responsible for the flight.