PDA

View Full Version : "US government forces military secrets on Brit webmaster"

Ray Dahvectac
4th Mar 2008, 09:23
A website promoting the town of Mildenhall has been shut down after it unintentionally became the recipient of hundreds of classified emails, including messages detailing the planned flight path of President Bush.

Over more than a decade, www.mildenhall.com received emails detailing all kinds of secret military information that were intended for official Air Force personnel. One detailed where Air Force One could be found in the air during a planned visit to the region by President Bush. Others included battlefield strategy and passwords.

Full article here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/03/mildenhall_website/).

Apparently there has been a rush to register similar military style domain names. One wonders what steps are being taken at the US end of the chain to prevent such monumental cockups as the emailing of passwords continuing. Or will it still simply be a matter of advising the domain owners to block or bounce unintentional emails? :ugh:

The comment I like best was: How about giving the domain to drudgereport.com and see if he's as willing to publish a "world exclusive" about his commander-in-chief's flightpath as he was the deployment detail of [Prince Harry].

Mad_Mark
4th Mar 2008, 10:03
Of course the US military always sends "all kinds of secret military information" using unencrypted emails over the Internet :rolleyes:

MadMark!!! :mad:

brickhistory
4th Mar 2008, 22:57
Lots of people being careless. I hope they got various appendages whacked.

But it's a universal attribute.

Anyone know whose laptop this is? :}

FFP
5th Mar 2008, 03:34
I may have received the odd e-mail or two from US personnel in my current line of work. Suffice to say, even the most mundane of e-mails is encrypted / digitally signed / needs an ID card with security certificates registered in order to read them.

And if the e-mail address isn't in the Global Address List, then I'm surprised anyone managed to send an e-mail to it ;)