View Full Version : Been asked to move to Abu Dhabi

POKEYPILOT
3rd Mar 2008, 16:02
Hi All,

Been asked to move to Abu Dhabi by my company for up to 1 year starting on April 1st.

They are going to lay an apartment and car on for me as well as paying my salary tax free.

I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were of living there etc.

Any advice would be most welcome as I may make a U Turn if ll is bad saying that I have had enough of blighty.

BAOREY
3rd Mar 2008, 16:38
I have been there 2 years and am pretty happy with it. certainly beats Dubai for quality if not quantity of life.

there are many day to day frustrations but that is the only negative i have. Tax free salary more than makes up for it.

I am not a pilot but i fly out of AUH at least twice a week and am usually really pleased to return

puff m'call
3rd Mar 2008, 17:23
Hey if it's all laid on for you then that's fine, sounds ok if it's what you want, after all it's only a year to start with.

All the rest depends if you have a family with you, if not then go for it, other wise you'll have to think about your wife and kids in what might be a small apartment in a crap part of town, can't say I know AD at all well but we sure have some grubby places here in Dubai.

I would say if the money's ok and your single, do it. :ok:

jafar
3rd Mar 2008, 17:44
Don't worry, Abu habi is fine. I have been living at both, DXB and AUH. I prefer the latest. It is quiter, greener and less stressfull. The big problems are schools and housing. Make sure it is fine for both. AUH is better for families (hope you are not alone). However, the bachelor scene is changing fast. Remember, those who live at DXB NEVER go to AUH. The opposite is not true. We got to DXB once a month for shoppoing or other activities, but we are always happy to go back home.
Enjoy it.

RequestClimb
4th Mar 2008, 15:45
Hi all, I am new here, so be gentle :)

What is the cost and availability of housing in Abu Dhabi?

Thank you,

ReqCmb

Rule3
4th Mar 2008, 22:10
RequestClimb

You may be a first time poster, however from your first line, 'obviously' not a first time " reader ",so I will be gentle, do some reading as this has been "DONE TO DEATH" on several threads. :)

Striker54
9th Mar 2008, 21:28
Abu Dhabi is absolutely fabulous if you ask me. I did not live there but that place is on the verge of booming up and the people are amazing. Don't forget the 2009 Abu Dhabi GP.

Good luck.

Farrell
10th Mar 2008, 14:54
Ok - if you have not been out this way before you are in for a shock.

It's a nice place but, like anywhere, you will experience new things, new people and new cultures. This means that you will have to be tolerant - very much so.

The apartment and the car and the tax free salary - great!

But you will need to find out what type of apartment, where it is, what it is like inside etc and the same with the car. I would recommend that you get a 4x4 if the job suits or an executive level car with an industrial grade aircon unit.

The Middle East is a great place but you need to have the creature comforts in place in order to enjoy it. Tax free salary is all well and good but be sure that you have enough. You will be eating out here a lot more and everything is expensive unless you are eating shawarmas off the street.

Your best bet is to let us know what you are getting package wise and then maybe DivingDuck or one of the AD experts can give you their opinion.