PDA

View Full Version : Lost your job due to Insulin in U.S.A?

11daysoff
3rd Mar 2008, 13:03
If you've lost your 1st class medical due to diabetes requiring insulin in the U.S.A., please PM me. We are getting a group together to fight this unfair regulation. Thanks.

gingernut
3rd Mar 2008, 15:15
Its likely that this problem will worsen in the near future, as more "type II" diabetics are converted onto insulin.

A few reasons for this:

tighter control required
increasing obesity
it's likely that most clinicians will want to get their patients off rosiglitazone, asap.

Good luck, try a search, this was much debated 3-6m ago.

obgraham
5th Mar 2008, 00:51
Daysoff, if you go to the AOPA web-board, you'll find all sorts of info on this matter, and a lot of input from AME's who have helped pilots with it.

Try this (http://forums.aopa.org/)for a starting place. Their powers that be are trying to make it hard to find their web board.

airbourne
6th Mar 2008, 22:35
Got told I was type 1 in November '04. I was in the middle of my exams for my ppl. Dropped out and never went back. Pretty much treated like a second class citizen by IAA. I had been using less and less insulin over the past 12 months to the extent that I was using nothing. Being with a new consultant, got the official word this week after over 3 years that it was a mistake and Im type 2. Now taking 2 metformin tabs a day. Check with your doctors, mistakes have been made in the past, check that you are definatly type 1. Im going for my type 2 medical and then its back in the cockpit by the summer!

Captainkarl
7th Mar 2008, 22:39
www.pilotswithdiabetes.com