PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Air Logo

rjemery
12th Feb 2000, 05:24
I was wondering if anyone could explain what logo is painted on the tails of Alaskan Airlines a/c and the story behind it.

The only information I have is that it is supposedly the portrait of someone who once met each and every Alaska Airlines flight. If true, I do not know at which location or timeframe this took place, or if the person was a Native American or not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
R. J. Emery

ironbutt57
15th Feb 2000, 15:24
can't enlighten you as to the origin of the logo, but many years back it invoked the nickname "charles manson airlines"

Wino
15th Feb 2000, 17:57
Its an eskimo.

Though it does sort of look like those old "Charlie don't surf" tee shirts that referred to charles manson...

wino

rjemery
15th Feb 2000, 18:53
Dear Wino,

I've never seen the tail logo up close, living as I do in a different part of the world than which is served by Alaska Airlines.

Are you just giving your opinion or interpretation of what the logo is, or do you know for a fact that it is an Eskimo portrait?

Is the logo, then, nothing more than a portrait of an Eskimo (i.e., Native American of Alaska), picked as a generic symbol of the airlines' namesake state? No story behind it?

------------------
R. J. Emery

JJflyer
15th Feb 2000, 19:10
The picture as far as I know is of the late
native indian chief named Alaska.
There is a good article in AIRLINERS magazine
Nov./Dec. 1999 nr60 about Alaska Airlines and flying in Alaska in general.

JJ

rjemery
15th Feb 2000, 19:23
Dear JJFlyer,

Thanks for the pointer to the article. I will read the magazine article you have referenced. However,

The name Alaska is probably derived from an Aleut word meaning "mainland," which originally referred to the Alaska Peninsula.

"Alaska," Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 99. © 1993-1998 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

------------------
R. J. Emery

JJflyer
16th Feb 2000, 05:30
I stand corrected ... Thanx...

JJ

Cyclic Hotline
18th Feb 2000, 10:55
I recall reading this story in the Alaska Airlines magazine a while ago.
The advertising company hired by Alaska Airlines to create a new corporate image, could not come up with anything particularly innovative and threw in the picture with the logo, as a last attempt to meet their client's brief.
The board loved it and it has provided one of the most unique corporate identities in Aviation, even though everyone is still debating what it represents! (Including everyone in Alaska)!
I will find out who, if anyone, the picture represents, from my mates there.
Check out some photos of Alaska at work:
http://www.juneauphotos.com/