PDA

View Full Version : EVA dayflights

Xeque
3rd Mar 2008, 04:44
Can anyone tell me why EVA (an excellent Taiwan airline) insists on shutting all the window blinds during day flights.
I recently flew BKK/LHR on a beautiful clear day only to have the cabin attendants insist that I close my blind and sit in Stygian darkness along with everyone else.
I like looking out the window particularly when the weather is CAVOK and you can see for miles. It also affords some great photo opportunities.
There used to be a time when one could be invited to the flightdeck for an even more spectacular view but, these days are, thanks to GW Bush and the current security @#xxx*&!!, forever gone. :confused:

Pom Pax
3rd Mar 2008, 12:30
I choose day flights because I want to look out of the window!
The old argument "because we are now going to show the film" no longer holds good because of individual screens.

londoneasyjetboi
3rd Mar 2008, 15:09
Guys,

There are many reasons the blinds are closed

A few examples to help see the companies point of view, I should say here it is not just EVA, but many longhaul companies.

- It helps people sleep to minimise jet lag
- It reduces reflections on the PTVs so people can watch the screen properly

They will insist the blinds remain closed to ensure the Majority of pax can either sleep or watch film with out a burst of bright sunlight interrupt their sleep/entertainment.

I know it sucks sometimes as even though I am crew, I like to look out the window also, especially over the mountains!

BUT, one thing that is drilled into us during training is you must help the majority not the minority... so unless you can get the majority of the pax to agree it is ok to have your window blind open, you are fighting a losing battel with the CC

Hope you can understand the companies reasoning!

gdiphil
3rd Mar 2008, 17:33
I have had arguments over this with a number of airlines and consistently I win. I tell them, the CC that is (although SS is probably a better abbreviation) that it is a day flight, I chose it for that reason and I have to work. If necessary I point out I do pay for my flights. I also tell them I do not get told when to sleep and when reminded that apparently everyone else on the flight wants to (I was not given a vote apparently so did not take part in the referendum) I point out that the airline has provided everyone with eye pads. Quite simply the SS are there for my safety, to feed and water me and then they should just b****r off. Oh, and I leave the shade up if I want to and put it down if I want to. Needless to say I am not looking forward to the days of the 787 which I believe will have the windows transparency controlled by the SS. What with the Storm troopers in the airports these days harassing and generally stopping people from being human beings, and now the SS in the sky I must say I increasingly think that I may travel like my grandparents did, ie by boat across the world.

londoneasyjetboi
3rd Mar 2008, 23:05
Hmmm what a lovely passenger you are... I hope we never fly together... I can see how the situation would go and you wouldnt win, sorry to burt your bubble!

Happy Landings!

1DC
4th Mar 2008, 15:46
Have only flown business with EVA but never been asked to draw the blinds, however if i fall asleep whenever i awaken the blinds are usually closed...

TightSlot
4th Mar 2008, 19:49
gdiphil - I happily tolerate most abuse - it goes with the job. I draw the line when you compare me, my friends and colleagues and some of the others who give up their valuable time to run PPRuNe with Nazis. The comparison is not only offensive, but also trivializes the suffering of millions - both are unacceptable.

I'll make it easy for you - An unreserved apology, on this thread, within 24 hours: Alternatively, I will permanently ban you.

Ends.

Hartington
5th Mar 2008, 06:39
Somebody needs to sort this issue out. On a recent transatlantic flight the CC simply closed "my" shade. No announcement had been made and the CC member didn't say a word, simply reached across and closed it. I'm ashamed to say I simply opened the shade again, very quickly, and gave the CC member a (polite) mouthful. The incident spoiled the rest of the flight.

Like many passengers I choose window seats so I can look out. If the airlines don't want me to do that and require that I should close the blind (for whatever reason) they need to make it clear in their advertising, terms and conditions and on board announcements. The current anarchy is not acceptable and I for one will contribute to it by continuing to open a blind next to my seat when I want to unless I am asked politely not to. A polite request will result in my closing the blind and then opening it a crack occasionally to enjoy the view.

At the moment I can't help feeling that because I don't see a consistent pattern of closed vs open blinds implemented by crews the "policy" is implemented at the crew level and is unofficial. I have to say that makes me suspect that there is an element of the crews trying to control the passengers which I don't like. Am I wrong?

gdiphil
5th Mar 2008, 10:47
TightSlot

You are quite right, you and others deserve an unreserved apology. The deep frustration felt by me (and it would appear others) was put in the most unwarranted terms for which I apologise.

Hartington

I agree. This does need sorting out. I flew Asiana last September Sydney - Seoul. A day time flight during which the cc wanted the shades down all 10 hours or so. This being a flight where the only time zone change was going back one hour! Whilst my previous post may have given the impression that I'm rude to cc, in fact I'm not, I simply don't tolerate being told what to do where safety or good running of the system is not an issue. All these airlines in question provide the eye pads for those that wish to snooze on a day flight. I notice that not one North American carrier has ever asked for the shades to be pulled down. Those I've flown include TWA, Pan Am, American, United, US Air, North West, Delta, Continental and Air Canada. But the far eastern carriers are obsessed with it eg Thai, Asiana, SIA, JAL but strangely not MAS. I have found BA to be intermittent, never long haul out of LGW but occasionally out of LHR, but never into either airport on day flights. QF never ask for it to be pulled down except when going to sleep on a night flight, obviously so people are not disturbed when dawn comes up if it does.
I agree that airlines should make it clear that a window seat is not a window seat when they allocate it.

TightSlot
5th Mar 2008, 12:44
Good... Thank you.

wanderin_star
5th Mar 2008, 18:02
Just came back daytime flight from Kuala Lumpur and when the steward came to close my window shade he volunteered the information its because of strong sunlight causes reflection on screens. As previous poster said its pleases the majority of pax as only window seated pax would enjoy the views.

oldpax
13th Mar 2008, 13:53
I dont mind the shades being put down but will open for a peek if I want to. I have never been able to sleep on long haul flights tried ear pluga and eye shades and even in the odd time I fly business it only seems like an hour before I am awake!!Anyone any tips apart from alcoholinduced tiredness!!!